Saw upgrade advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellbent

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I feel that I'm reaching a point in my firewood career that I need to upgrade my saw. I don't want to start a brand war so I'll focus on my wants/needs.

I currently have a Husky 55 Rancher that still works great but is showing its age. I am considering getting something that will work for now but allow me to expand in the future. I was thinking something in the 90's cc range. The last time I bought a saw was 8 or 9 years ago since financially it's hard. I plan on having this saw for as long as possible and then some.

I'd like to be able to run a 36 inch bar since we do have a number of large trees in my area but I don't often encounter them or maybe I would if I had the capability.
I want the ability to put an Alaskan mill on it since I have a small farm and could save on lumber and maybe make a few bucks on the side.
I would like to start a small firewood business with my extra wood.

I figure this saw will be the last one for a while with bills and kids so I am afraid that if I don't get the biggest best I can get now I'll be needing a bigger saw in just a few years.

I guess my question really is should I go all out now or wait and get something in between? It would probably be at least another 8 years before I could upgrade...

Thanks, Hellbent :rock:

I went from a 55 Rancher to a Stihl MS460 ... big difference in power but was not impressed when using my 32 inch bar in large stumps so went to a Husky 394XP (same class as 660) ... big difference in power over the 460 and at the present have no desire for a bigger saw. The 90cc class saw is very strong but they are also kind of heavy for general firewood use. The 460/394 combo has a lot of utility. I bought both saws used good/excellent condition for less money than I would have paid new for either one.

For firewood I have a 40cc I bought for a garden job 7 years ago. Then I moved to wood heating and it was a bit small.

So then I went 576xp autotune, great saw IMO for that, running a 24" bar.

Next I got a 2nd hand ported and muff modded 261. It goes well, but touchiest to idle than the 576.

I wonder what the rumored replacement will be like, which I guess is what terry has on trial right now. And I would guess a modded one will be up near the 90cc category stock. That may be worth waiting for?

Or else go 395xp, port it and be done with it, but it will be heavy and you'll need the smaller saw as well.

In hindsight, I possibly should have gone 562xp and a 395 xp but its too late for now.

I would think about keeping that 55 around, when you step up to a larger saw you'll still find yourself using your smaller saw atleast thats what happend in my case. I bought a dolmar 7900 (which pulls a 30" full chisel great) but when it came down to it the bigger saw was nice but is heavier uses alot more fuel and oil, plus if your not carefull with a 20" bar and chain on its real easy to burn a chain up as this saw barely drops rpms at all with that small of a bar. So I found myself going back to the old 455 its not as fast but unless i'm cutting 24"+ trees it works great, the dolmar gets pulled out when I got some big boys to cut and its nice for that!

Just go up to the 90cc at least. I've got a Stihl 441CM(70cc if you're not familiar), and it's AWSOME! Wish I would have done the MS660 though for the money. Been cutting 36" plus diameter Red Oak with a 32" bar and I could really use those extra 20cc. I don't have any milling experience. Check out the Chainsaw forum for information. You'll get a 60/40 response. 60% brand this or that, 40% decent information.

I figure this saw will be the last one for a while with bills and kids so I am afraid that if I don't get the biggest best I can get now I'll be needing a bigger saw in just a few years.

I guess my question really is should I go all out now or wait and get something in between? It would probably be at least another 8 years before I could upgrade...

Thanks, Hellbent :rock:

Thanks for the replies. So are you guys saying bigger the better in my situation? Should I make the stretch or do I really need something that big for my needs?

besides firewood cutting if you want to mill you will want the CC's. its a balance you have to decide where to give, a big CC saw is great for cutting some big stuff but for regular firewood duties it an get heavy fast. that might not be a concern for you if you are a big guy.

for milling a 50cc class saw that is great for firewood but to small for a miller that wants to do anything seriouse.

i would keep your old saw either way. most any of the big brands will give you a nice saw you can be happy with. dealer support where you live can play into that also, used can get you more bang for buck but you have some risk of getting a pig in a poke and you dont get that new saw smell.:hmm3grin2orange:

MS460R will do the job and not take your back out cutting fire wood. This saw has the ability to oil and clear the chips with a 36 in. bar the few times that length bar is needed cutting fire wood and you can cut 8 to 10 hrs. verses 5 or 6 hrs. with a 660.
Safe cutting

Thanks for the replies. So are you guys saying bigger the better in my situation? Should I make the stretch or do I really need something that big for my needs?

Personally I wouldn't want any saw with a 36" bar. Can't think of anything worse than fighting with that thing all day. I've cut plenty of 30-36" wood with 60-70cc saws and 20" bars.

I cut most of my wood (20 cords oak a year) now, plus log and thin 400 acres with a 346xp 16 &18" bars. 562xp w/20" bar is now my 'big' saw and it'll do more than I need.

A 660 with a 36" bar is the bomb. I love mine for dropping and bucking big stuff. You can get a lot of wood worked up with the extra power. Try one and you will see what I mean

Steve

A 660 with a 36" bar is the bomb. I love mine for dropping and bucking big stuff. You can get a lot of wood worked up with the extra power. Try one and you will see what I mean

Steve

Man, I like 3 foot bars and a saw that will pull that chain. Makes a heckuva difference bucking up the big guys.

Ya, you can fell a big tree with a much smaller bar than the diameter, but then you have to buck it.

When I started milling I had an 044 pulling a 32 in bar on a 30 in mill it was okay. I upgraded to a 660 and it's great. I got it with a 36 in bar and yes it is heavy but it makes cutting up 40+in trees easier. I will say get skip chain with that big a bar

I think the desire to use a chainsaw mill puts you into the 80-90 cc category. But for firewood it's not necessary though fun to have a 660.

If money is tight I'd watch for a deal on cl. I recently bought 20 part saws for $100. So far I've got a running 385xp, 268xp, 61 out of the pile of saws. Also sold a couple craftsman saws to recoup some of my investment. And I still have several others I could rebuild or sell on eBay.

Search cl long enough and you will find deals.

Does anyone have a picture of a Stihl 066/660 AND a Husky 394/395 together so the OP can see the difference in size and style.

I will try and post a pic of my 460 and 394 for comparison.

Two saws, Stihl MS460 (76cc) and Husqvarna 394XP (94cc). You can see the style difference. The big bubble on top of the Husky is the air filter cover.

pair1_zps5002febf.jpg

Back