Sawdust bypassing filter on the 201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himiler

If I wake up . . . it's a good day.
Reaction score
Looked around a bit, couldn't find anything on the subject so I'll post and take what comes.
Finally getting around to actually using/working with/on the verge of modding my Stihl ms 201t and noticed I'm getting some bypass around the filter into the carb intake. Even though it's fine sawdust, I'm not liking it and wondering if I should get overly concerned about it or not.
Seems like I can't navigate the new site like can the old one, any help is appreciated.

What type of filter are you suing? The felt type for summer applications or the mesh type for very cold operation?

Fine sawdust is often a byproduct of a dull chain. Sharp chains pull chips, dull ones create dust. Making sure you have a sharp chain may eliminate the issue.

Thanks for the replies, as a matter of fact it was a dull chain due to me not wanting to stop and switch saws while up in the tree, or some excuse that gets me out of being responsible for working with a dull chain.
Yes, it's a felt filter, the bypass is coming from where the filter frame mates up with the base, it wouldn't be such a big deal but the stuff had a pathway built. Started to look like an asphalt base road so I guess I should be glad to have evidence my chain oiler is working.
Oh, and sharpened 4 saws chains that night after I got home.
Thanks guys, I'm not going to worry about it, I gotta tear down the 201 and cure its bogamatic disease anyway via Brad Snellings guide to sexier saws.
Steve

Back