Screamers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The thread on small tie ins got me wondering.

Has anyone ever considered, or used, a Screamer to reduce the potential load on a marginal tie in?

Take a look: http://www.yatesgear.com/climbing/screamer/index.htm

Yates makes Screamers large enough to use as tie downs for testing space shuttle engines. They're pretty standard fare for rock climbers might be a good tool for arbos who are working out on the edge of the limits.

Tom

Where would you put one in your tie-in? I use a daisey chain for SRT/DRT. It can perform similarly, but is rather long.

I could see that incorporated in something like the LJ.

A Screamer could be installed on either leg of a false crotch. But...this wouldn't reduce the impact load as well as if a sling was choked for an anchor and a Screamer attached to the end with a FC hanging on the end of the Screamer.

The point where the climber's rope doubles itself is where the highest load will be generated. Putting a Screamer in the climbing system and not the anchor system reduces the effectivness.

Tom

With the AFC (adjustable false crotch) wouldn't the adjusting knot tend to slip under shock load??
Could some reaserch into the type off knot used here be off benefit??

Latest posts

Back