Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't say I'm concerned, more frugal/prepared ;).
I've gotten many chain deals that would have covered a new bar, but I got the bar cheaper too :clap:. I don't know if I've ever paid retail for a bar, chain, or even a saw. Now the sorting out part :innocent:. Hoping when the "saw shop" portion of the barn is finished that can happen, the basement looks like one of the houses/barns the guys visit on American Pickers :ices_rofl:.
I'm thinking maybe you meant to post that to someone else?
:surprised3:
:)

Back from my cabin. Barely made it. Normally a 2.5 hour trip turned into a 6.5 hour trip. Took 3 hours to change the fuel filter when it should have been a 5 min job. Had to get help. Don't know how it got so tight. It seemed to run fine for almost 5 miles. Then no power and 45 mph max again. Next spot to pull over I disconnected the LPR to set the ECU to a default. That helped enough to do 50 mph most of the way home. Need to pull the codes this afternoon. I'll be pissed it it ends up being the Cam Position Sensor. They are $150 and the one that's in there can't be a year old.
glad u got it running... beats having to change a fuel pump in tank at roadside Rest Stop.... on long trip! :omg:

That is an odd shift.
I may be back in the J O B saddle in a bit here, will know more soon. I may just skiff on out of here too :laugh:.
Since my buddy was working on restoring his neighbors car I couldn't do much work in the barn, so it got put off. Now that they are almost finished I want to do as much as possible so as soon as it's out I can pull it in and get welding on it. Hopefully the deck will be ready to weld next week and I can start prepping the frame for primer and paint, getting closer, but still a long ways to go.
As you were saying before, it should be pretty light for its size. I'm looking forward to having semi sized rub-rails/securement points, I hate them on most trailers.

I'd really like another exmark, I buy them used so I don't have the same sticker shock as many do. It was a bummer I sold mine, but I'm sure it won't be long until I have another, just need to be patient. My exmark's have done great on hills, but if the grass is wet, you may want to wait if you could slide into anything unwanted :surprised3:. I can't stand removing or installing the deck on the kubota, it takes as long as it would take me to mow, at least with a 60" exmark lol.
Yes I agree, pia to take off and put back on. We did some pretty steep hills at the township with an exmark and ferris mowers. Loved the ride of the ferris, but hated the upkeep of the suspension system. I keep looking, eventually I'll have enough cash on hand and find the right model for my place at the right (read super cheap) price. Till then agg tires, wheel weights and the old cub does the hills just fine.😉

I tried to keep only .050 stocked but after acquiring the Zogger stuff and a bunch of other lots of chain I gave up trying and just run whatever gauge I can grab. In the rare instance I part with a saw these days it’ll definitely leave with whatever oddball bars and chains I have.

Twice I’ve cataloged all of the bars and chains I have….certainly a lifetime worth for the amount of cutting I do now
mite help me in shop... but doubt bars n chains top of list in volume...

hmm, now where did i put that, so i would not forget where it is.... ? 🤔

should handle most mowing and cutting needs! :yes:
It does/did. But when I bought that little tractor, I lived on one acre, and primarily bought it to move my bass boat around as the property was too "tight" to do it with one of my trucks. Now that I've bought the 40 acres, and have to cut appx 8 cord of firewood per year for the outdoor wood boiler, I am looking for something much larger. I think I'll get 74 HP utility tractor with a cab on it in the near future. I'd like to be able to drop a tree, and then have the tractor with a grapple on it, to lift the tree to about waist height, so that I could buck it in the air and stop bending over so much :)!!! With all of the money spent in the last year or so, that will have to wait until next year most likely.

they are saying we will see a lot... over next 3 days! high, low... frontal, pressure.... out of Gulf clashing... = rain

maybe a weather system too :omg:
I haven't looked at the forecast for next week, as I'm stuck at work for basically the next 2 weeks, but other then 90 odd degrees the weather has been pretty decent. Doesn't matter what it is out side the rides need to keep moving, and were expected to work on them rain or shine. Truth be told I think we still need some rain, but I'm ok with the dry weather too.

It does/did. But when I bought that little tractor, I lived on one acre, and primarily bought it to move my bass boat around as the property was too "tight" to do it with one of my trucks. Now that I've bought the 40 acres, and have to cut appx 8 cord of firewood per year for the outdoor wood boiler, I am looking for something much larger. I think I'll get 74 HP utility tractor with a cab on it in the near future. I'd like to be able to drop a tree, and then have the tractor with a grapple on it, to lift the tree to about waist height, so that I could buck it in the air and stop bending over so much :)!!! With all of the money spent in the last year or so, that will have to wait until next year most likely.
Jeff just my 2 cents, spending most my life ad am over the road diesel mechanic. If you don't need that much power. Don't buy it. Loader work doesn't require high hp, amd if you don't need it to preform a certain pto, or ground engagement task then there's no point of it. Also there's the emissions consideration. They like to be kept loaded and worked. (You may know all this, if so, sorry I'm not being a jerk.) Really a smaller tractor is more nimble in the woods and will do a lot of work. Since your familiar with kubota, something in the L or mx would be more then adequate for a lot of chores. (And can have a cab optioned on 😉)
My dad has done well with his L245dt (77 model) I do wish it had a bit more power, but it's done everything he/we've required it to do.

60" with rider comfort system... add a few more thou....
Last exmark we bought at the township was the Lazer z 72" "big block" kohler and had the comfort ride system. Very nice zt. State bid pricing put our price at $14k. I asked the dealer what the street price was and he said, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." He was right, an arse hat, but right. I loved mowing with it.(and that means a lot, I HATE mowing grass with a passion.) Excellent finish, smooth ride all at 12mph. WFO! Only thing I didn't care for was fuel and oil consumption. Both tanks would be dry at the end of a 10hr shift (mower would have 8.5-9 hr on it.) And it took a quart of oil a week. (This was acceptable as per exmark and kohler. Totally unacceptable by me.) I just really can't have that big of a deck. Too much to mow around.

Last exmark we bought at the township was the Lazer z 72" "big block" kohler and had the comfort ride system. Very nice zt. State bid pricing put our price at $14k. I asked the dealer what the street price was and he said, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." He was right, an arse hat, but right. I loved mowing with it.(and that means a lot, I HATE mowing grass with a passion.) Excellent finish, smooth ride all at 12mph. WFO! Only thing I didn't care for was fuel and oil consumption. Both tanks would be dry at the end of a 10hr shift (mower would have 8.5-9 hr on it.) And it took a quart of oil a week. (This was acceptable as per exmark and kohler. Totally unacceptable by me.) I just really can't have that big of a deck. Too much to mow around.
Actually need to add it would mow the same pace at the new Holland t4.75 with a 12foot progressive mower...

Jeff just my 2 cents, spending most my life ad am over the road diesel mechanic. If you don't need that much power. Don't buy it. Loader work doesn't require high hp, amd if you don't need it to preform a certain pto, or ground engagement task then there's no point of it. Also there's the emissions consideration. They like to be kept loaded and worked. (You may know all this, if so, sorry I'm not being a jerk.) Really a smaller tractor is more nimble in the woods and will do a lot of work. Since your familiar with kubota, something in the L or mx would be more then adequate for a lot of chores. (And can have a cab optioned on 😉)
My dad has done well with his L245dt (77 model) I do wish it had a bit more power, but it's done everything he/we've required it to do.
No, I completely get your POV. But, although I'm mostly retired, I do still have a snow removal business that in the Winter uses trucks, skids and sometimes wheel loaders. I've never used a tractor for it, but have considered it. Until I bought this property up here, I would have never considered using a tractor for the snow removal, because I didn't have a need for one in the off-season. But, now I could use a utility tractor all year long. The 74HP machine would actually be a little small for the commercial work that I do, but it could work. And at home, it might be a little big for my needs, but again, it will work. One of those "not perfect for any situation, but good enough for all situations" kind of things. And if I stay at 74HP, I don't have to have any DEF etc that is required once you get above the 75HP emissions requirements. Yes, they still re-gen, but don't have all of the stricter emissions requirements that larger equipment has. That's why you'll see WAY more 74HP skid steers in many jobs than their larger brothers. Same emissions requirements for what a tractor will have.

Don't worry, I didn't think you were being a jerk at all. I value your opinion. And yes, the larger tractor won't be as nimble running around in the woods, and I definitely foresee some glass being replaced LOL, but all things considered, I'm willing to deal with them, because I can still make it generate money for me during the Winter months. In actuality, I could just use a skid to do a lot of what I need around my property. But I despise crawling in and out of the damn things, I hate the ride from that short wheelbase, and the visibility is terrible. Plus, I can still use the tractor purchase as another tax write-off. Also, all of the implements that I would buy for the skids would cost me two or three times, what PTO powered implements on a tractor cost, like post hole augers snow blowers etc....PTO driven implements are much simpler and cheaper than hydraulically driven ones.

No, I completely get your POV. But, although I'm mostly retired, I do still have a snow removal business that in the Winter uses trucks, skids and sometimes wheel loaders. I've never used a tractor for it, but have considered it. Until I bought this property up here, I would have never considered using a tractor for the snow removal, because I didn't have a need for one in the off-season. But, now I could use a utility tractor all year long. The 74HP machine would actually be a little small for the commercial work that I do, but it could work. And at home, it might be a little big for my needs, but again, it will work. One of those "not perfect for any situation, but good enough for all situations" kind of things. And if I stay at 74HP, I don't have to have any DEF etc that is required once you get above the 75HP emissions requirements. Yes, they still re-gen, but don't have all of the stricter emissions requirements that larger equipment has. That's why you'll see WAY more 74HP skid steers in many jobs than their larger brothers. Same emissions requirements for what a tractor will have.

Don't worry, I didn't think you were being a jerk at all. I value your opinion. And yes, the larger tractor won't be as nimble running around in the woods, and I definitely foresee some glass being replaced LOL, but all things considered, I'm willing to deal with them, because I can still make it generate money for me during the Winter months. In actuality, I could just use a skid to do a lot of what I need around my property. But I despise crawling in and out of the damn things, I hate the ride from that short wheelbase, and the visibility is terrible. Plus, I can still use the tractor purchase as another tax write-off. Also, all of the implements that I would buy for the skids would cost me two or three times, what PTO powered implements on a tractor cost, like post hole augers snow blowers etc....PTO driven implements are much simpler and cheaper than hydraulically driven ones.
Roger that. Yes thats why we went with a svl75 over the 90 when our 85hp NH skid went the way of the dodo bird. Just to stay away from the def system, sad part was it did not have the grunt for road milling the old NH had. Give and take.
Now plowing with a tractor I can tell you a few things. Yes those expensive nokian tires are so worth it if your on the road/pavement a lot. And a rear blower is worth its weight in gold sometimes. If blower isn't needed deffinatly add extra weight. I got to run quite the compilation of equipment plowing roads and really the tractor was quite nice if set up correctly.
I totally agree with hydro vs pto equipment. Another reason I decided for a tractor vs a skid steer. I could have picked up a little gehl for $4k but between tearing up the yard, poor rear visibility, no ground clearance and owning a good bit of 3pt equipment the tractor was the natural choice.

Roger that. Yes thats why we went with a svl75 over the 90 when our 85hp NH skid went the way of the dodo bird. Just to stay away from the def system, sad part was it did not have the grunt for road milling the old NH had. Give and take.
Now plowing with a tractor I can tell you a few things. Yes those expensive nokian tires are so worth it if your on the road/pavement a lot. And a rear blower is worth its weight in gold sometimes. If blower isn't needed deffinatly add extra weight. I got to run quite the compilation of equipment plowing roads and really the tractor was quite nice if set up correctly.
I totally agree with hydro vs pto equipment. Another reason I decided for a tractor vs a skid steer. I could have picked up a little gehl for $4k but between tearing up the yard, poor rear visibility, no ground clearance and owning a good bit of 3pt equipment the tractor was the natural choice.
Yup, I completely get all of your points on all of the above. We're definitely on the same page.

Yes I agree, pia to take off and put back on. We did some pretty steep hills at the township with an exmark and ferris mowers. Loved the ride of the ferris, but hated the upkeep of the suspension system. I keep looking, eventually I'll have enough cash on hand and find the right model for my place at the right (read super cheap) price. Till then agg tires, wheel weights and the old cub does the hills just fine.😉
Guess I never hit "post reply".
Been working on the mower deck today, first batch of parts in the shopping cart, maybe more bearings for the other spindle, should know in a bit. The bearings are pretty cheap.
This is the top on on the right side spindle, the bottom was still very tight, looks like condensation or water coming in got it. You can see the cage is gone at 9:30.
Dust cover was missing on this one, and the center dust cover was worn thru a little so I dropped those in the cart too.
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 2.36.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 2.38.27 PM.png

Been working on the mower deck today, first batch of parts in the shopping cart, maybe more bearings for the other spindle, should know in a bit. The bearings are pretty cheap.
This is the top on on the right side spindle, the bottom was still very tight, looks like condensation or water coming in got it. You can see the cage is gone at 9:30.
Dust cover was missing on this one, and the center dust cover was worn thru a little so I dropped those in the cart too.
View attachment 998828
View attachment 998830
Are there grease fittings on the spindle body? If so you may want to leave the seals off the bearings on the fitting side so you can actually grease them. I've personally seen, and read about, spindles with grease fittings that also had seals on the bearings so no grease could make it's way into the bearings...

View attachment 998828
View attachment 998830
Yeah I need to go over mine and get a few things for it, guid wheels specifically. Spindles are all nice and tight. Have a few cracks to weld up from the previous owner. Then I need to decide if I'm keeping it or selling it. I should sell it, seen them going for a decent amount on evilbay, and farcebook. Actually I need to go over the deck on the cub.... I know there's a bearing making a bit of noise on it...

That is an odd shift.
I may be back in the J O B saddle in a bit here, will know more soon. I may just skiff on out of here too :laugh:.
Since my buddy was working on restoring his neighbors car I couldn't do much work in the barn, so it got put off. Now that they are almost finished I want to do as much as possible so as soon as it's out I can pull it in and get welding on it. Hopefully the deck will be ready to weld next week and I can start prepping the frame for primer and paint, getting closer, but still a long ways to go.
As you were saying before, it should be pretty light for its size. I'm looking forward to having semi sized rub-rails/securement points, I hate them on most trailers.

I'd really like another exmark, I buy them used so I don't have the same sticker shock as many do. It was a bummer I sold mine, but I'm sure it won't be long until I have another, just need to be patient. My exmark's have done great on hills, but if the grass is wet, you may want to wait if you could slide into anything unwanted :surprised3:. I can't stand removing or installing the deck on the kubota, it takes as long as it would take me to mow, at least with a 60" exmark lo

View attachment 998828
View attachment 998830
Is that for your Kubota deck??

I've never understood the idea of grease fittings on spindles. If you fill the cavity with enough grease to reach the top bearing I believe it would cause excessive heat and rob power. Plus over time it's easy to loose track of how much grease is actually in there. I have heard of sealed bearings installed in greasable spindles. Perhaps the manufactures are rethinking this?

Are there grease fittings on the spindle body? If so you may want to leave the seals off the bearings on the fitting side so you can actually grease them. I've personally seen, and read about, spindles with grease fittings that also had seals on the bearings so no grease could make it's way into the bearings...
There are grease fittings on the top of the shaft, the grease drops in just below the top bearing though, so noting hits the bearing :rolleyes:.

I've never understood the idea of grease fittings on spindles. If you fill the cavity with enough grease to reach the top bearing I believe it would cause excessive heat and rob power. Plus over time it's easy to loose track of how much grease is actually in there. I have heard of sealed bearings installed in greasable spindles. Perhaps the manufactures are rethinking this?
That's how this one is set up, the grease comes in just below the top bearing and you would have to fill a huge pocket in order to get grease on it :rare2:. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I don't like the design. It would be nice if there was a grease fitting that shot it straight onto the top bearing.
Is that for your Kubota deck??
Yes sir.

Back