Seafoam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Know there's been some questions here, but maybe not since 2010. Haven't used it in my saws, but had reason today to use it on a rototiller as a last resort before taking the carb apart. And it worked. The tiller would only idle, and only choked, and wouldn't start w/o starting fluid. Neither could I get any adjustment--turnin the screw did nuthin. Tried Chevron Techron, heavy dose and runnin for hours. Figured, WTH. Knew it was really only IPA, lite oil and Coleman fuel, but I did not wanna take that carb apart. Added Seafoam to the gas and down the carb, and after a coupla smoke sessions it ran as good as new, WOT, easy adjustment, and started first pull. The owner was thrilled. Flame away. Just saying...I for one was glad for it.

cleans up 4 strokes ok, I dont know about 2 cycles :) I used it befor tearingdown a couple engines
could see a difference on top of the pistons and chambers

I tried Seafoam in a beat-up little Homelite Bandit (33cc) that a guy I know gave me. Took an hour to clean the poor thing then got it started...ran poorly...tried Seafoam as you did and, after the smoke cleared the second time, the SOG started to run pretty good!...re-tuned it and keep it sharp...It's my little go-to trim saw around here now and it seems to be running as it should!...Needless to say the Seafoam sure did a cleaning job for me!...I was impressed w/my first try w/Seafoam. Now I won't hesitate to at least try it from time to time. Pretty cheap fix at the time.

The owner just called. Said it's never run better, even after having left it with the dealer mechanics two previous times. He was eager to try it and finished his whole garden in under an hour, sumthin he's never been able to do before. (It's a big rototiller, 8hp four cycle, and a big garden.) Like I said, dunno whether I'll ever have it in my saws, but it sure surprised me, and before tryin it I read maybe a dozen previous posts here at the chainsaw forums. Only reason I posted.

i've been using seafoam for years as well. whenever i change the fuel filter on my truck i actually fill the filter with seafoam before i install it. was recommended by a tech at the dealer cause my truck was puffing smoke. been doing it every filter change and never had any smoke again. dang dirty diesels anyways. i have used it in 4 stroke generators and other 4 stroke OPE as well but i find it is a temporary fix things that have sat for a long time. may have melted the varnish in the jets but once the varnish in the bowl comes loose she'll be sputtering/surging/struggling something fierce. ;)

Fixed my BIL honda rancher four wheeler with it. Was kinda hesitant to run it in 2cyl. You guys really run it in two stroke?? What does it do to the mix ratio????

Fixed my BIL honda rancher four wheeler with it. Was kinda hesitant to run it in 2cyl. You guys really run it in two stroke?? What does it do to the mix ratio????

Same as anything else...leans it a bit. Bottle calls for 1oz/gallon, but I've read others who use less. If I ever put it in my saws I'll go 2.6oz Ultra and .6oz SF to stay at my regular 40:1 ratio. Good point, tho. Seems anyone who strictly goes by the bottle recipe, in addition to their regular ratio, would be risking too lean a mix.

I thought it was a snake oil before I tried it, now we use it at the shop all the time. At the very least it stabilizes fuel and removes water but it seems to do quite a bit more than that.

As far as I understand it is the best thing to do as soon as it is running to run it for an extended amount of time. We don't have it here but similar products and as soon as it runs, run it for sometime so that all the disolved deposits don't go through the engine at once.

Know there's been some questions here, but maybe not since 2010. Haven't used it in my saws, but had reason today to use it on a rototiller as a last resort before taking the carb apart. And it worked. The tiller would only idle, and only choked, and wouldn't start w/o starting fluid. Neither could I get any adjustment--turnin the screw did nuthin. Tried Chevron Techron, heavy dose and runnin for hours. Figured, WTH. Knew it was really only IPA, lite oil and Coleman fuel, but I did not wanna take that carb apart. Added Seafoam to the gas and down the carb, and after a coupla smoke sessions it ran as good as new, WOT, easy adjustment, and started first pull. The owner was thrilled. Flame away. Just saying...I for one was glad for it.
i used it my 298 husky it was taking throttle little slow when milling that was 7 years ago and she still running fine after that? i run it in all my saws ?

i used it my 298 husky it was taking throttle little slow when milling that was 7 years ago and she still running fine after that? i run it in all my saws ?

You run it regularly? What's your mix? I wonder with today's synthetics whether I might not just use it at the end of season before putting the saws up. Can't imagine the deposits accumulate much, unless it's helpin protect against crap left behind by ethanol? Is this happenin?

no it gets run about once every 2 years and i use reg oil but heavy mix all i know it works ?so, i use it in everything

I put it in the saws. No trouble but I mix rich anyway. It's about the only product I ever bought that works better than claimed.
I'm going to go buy some and put it in the tank of the 81 chevy 2500 I just restarted after sitting since 2008, I used some heet, but it still takes a good long while to get the carburetor to stabilize.

Good luck. I had known about it and what the ingredients were, and only chuckled when my father told me he'd been using it for years on all his OPE, that his mechanic swears by it, etc. Only reason I tried it was cuz the rototiller motor was only 2 years old and no way I shoulda had to take the carb out already. Yer application sounds custom made for it.

It saved me lots of time over and over had a old suzuki street bike come to me running like crap..
Sat for years and in need of a good carb cleanin
So instead i added abit of seafoam to the tank shook it up and BINGO the bike slowly worked it self out !
that stuff cleaned all 4 carbs
It Ran like a kitten ...
Told the owner of the bike if it starts acting up again
just to break out the Seafoam and the whiskey shot glasses!
pour a good 2 -3 shots for his for his bike straight in thel tank..
and one for him :p lol They both run great now !
BIKE STILL RUNNING GREAT!

Of course! Why didn't I think of it? Sledrat, you'd be the perfect test lab. OTOH, I'da figured you for more of an MMO guy, but I bet that stuff works on yer older motors too.

Back