Season's first fire last nite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still running the A/C a little here. Daytime temps in the 80's. It's cooler at night, but the humidity is out of control. It stays drier and more comfortable inside running the a/c just a few hrs every day.

Probably cheaper to run the geothermal a/c than a dehumidifier.

Heat, you got to be kiddin'! The lowest high for this month so far is 98°, over a hundred more often than not. That said, I did fire up the smoker for some ribs last weekend...if that counts. Not complaining though, I'd rather have 100° than 30°.

Fireplace on the porch was going for many hours yesterday, took the chill and moisture right out!

Still mid-upper 80's highs here so the AC is still running. Although it's supposed to get down to 50 thursday or Friday night. It's still going to be a while before I light a fire.

Barely broke 60° yesterday. Actually, it got up to 62° but felt colder indoors. Northeaster coming off the Atlantic, so it was pretty raw, too.

Probably could have lived without a fire in the stove, but we use it for cooking also. Got a nice meatloaf out of the oven, as well as some potatoes.

Took quite a while to establish a good draft in the chimney where it was relatively warm. Had to have the back damper set to kindle for quite awhile before sliding it over to the 'bake' setting.

After supper was cooked, the stove went out pretty quick. Burnt little more than scraps here and there. Definitely chased the damp out of the house. Cookstove food always tastes better, too.

Anyone else christen their woodburner for the season yet?

Man you guys start early up there. I've still got a couple of months of decent weather left. I need to replace my stove pipe this year. Seem's like i get about 2 years out of new pipe. I'd think it would last longer being all but 1 section are inside the old chimney. The last section goes through a steel cover that seals the air gap around the pipe and the chimney top.

Gave the stove a little workout last nite. Baked up some chicken and boiled corn on the stovetop. Chased away a little chill and extreme damp in the process. Also gave me a chance to get rid of some of the firewood equivalent of flotsam and jetsam left over from last season. Making room for when I bring in this year's supply.

Weather forecast for 80° today, reaching upper 80s on Sunday. Stove gets a rest after being called into service out of hibernation. Last fire of last season was mid-June. So ole beulah only got a 2 month rest. She can go back to napping for a while tho'

Heat, you got to be kiddin'! The lowest high for this month so far is 98°, Not complaining though, I'd rather have 100° than 30°.

No YOU have to be kidding! I will take 30° over 100° anytime, any day. I can't wait for it to cool off, got down to 40° last night but still a month away from throwing wood in the furnace for me.

Latest posts

Back