Secondary Burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spidey I think you have to give up. Some people ain't got a clue what it is like trying to heat a house in -35* weather and will never understand the gripe someone like I has. I have an EPA stove and I will say it again,, it is as useless as a bag of broken rubber hammers (and uses a whole lot of wood) when it gets below 0*F. Nobody, nowhere is going to change my mind as I have experienced this firsthand and I don't like it. Anyone can spout of at the mouth with their opinion but the real fact is when it's butt crack cold out I would like a bottom draft, period. My garage stove doesn't have a problem keeping the garage temp stable with coals when I open the bottom draft but this EPA stove when not half to wide open (using a heck of a lot more wood) ashes over and I have to stir and babysit it to keep the house at a bearable temp when its really cold out.
:clap::clap: I can see,, we are going to have to send you,, to the elitist indoctrination school....with ovomit as the head teacher.........

13 hours
What the he!! happened??
I was out in the shop, so I'm just guessin' here...
But I assume the house dropped to 69½° and the draft blower kicked in and woke up the coal bed until the house reached 70½°. Because of the mild(ish) temps outside there was enough residual heat from the blower runnin' to bump it up another ½°. (Damn frustrating, ain't it??)
But that's just a guess...

thermo.JPG

Way more than I figured on... and I just moved more in the house last night.
Hard to know for sure because some of it was never stacked and measured... it went directly from the saw into the basement. As well, some of what was stacked wasn't used to heat the house... it got burned out in the shop.
But...
There's about 10 cord missing from the stacks and I'm guessing I tossed another 2 cord of standing-dead in there last fall... maybe more. So something over 12 cord and still burning it. 1½ cord Black Walnut, 2 cord American Elm, ½ cord Red Elm, 3 cord Sugar Maple, 5 cord Burr Oak, and maybe 1 cord of odds, ends and whatever it was.

We had no "January thaw" this year, the snow remained deep in the woodlot until April, and with the weather so far... I ain't got one stick of "replacement" firewood cut this spring yet. Normally I'd have done the felling in late February or early March and had most of it ready for splittin' by now...

Whitespider, this post was from this year at the end of the season. It sounds like your happy with your new furnace, but there's quite a discrepancy between the wood usage. Either way, it doesn't matter. I do feel, if you had a modern unit that was designed for central heating, you would save wood, but if your happy thats all that matters.

How many cord do I burn in a year?? What year?? Which appliance?? What kind of wood??
Let's see, last year was the first year with this furnace, and it was one of the coldest and longest in decades... if I remember correctly it was something in the neighborhood of 5½ or 6 cord (I think... some of it was standing-dead elm that went directly in the house unmeasured), and that also includes what the PE burned in the shop (probably 1½ cord).
The year before was cold and long also, and I was using the PE conversion... something just over 9 cord I believe.
The year before that was pretty mild, and it was the last year with the old converted smoke dragon stove... right at 3½ cord, maybe a touch over.
And the year before that (2010/2011) was cold and snowy... I remember because I didn't have any wood put up. I hadn't been burning for a couple of years because of some lung issues my daughter was having. It was that November of 2010 I joined this site. I spent every Saturday that entire winter cutting whatever I could get to in the deep snow, standing-dead or dead and down, and dragging it to the house. Hard to say for sure because I was burning it as fast as I was cuttin' it... and a lot of it was junky-punky. Just a wild-azz-guess... something between 5 and 7 cord...

View attachment 385636

Whitespider, this post was from this year at the end of the season.
Yes, but I didn't burn all the oak I had in the house... it sat in the basement all summer.
I was moving elm and whatnot in April... I didn't wanna' waste the oak. Although I still had 'ta mix it in because I was light in "lessor" quality stuff. Still, I may have underestimated (I did say "I think"), and I may have over-estimated last spring, or both... I don't "measure", it's all guess work. What can I say (shrug).

14 hours and holdin' steady (although a bit warm in here... damnit).
Looks like I was light on the 15 hour estimate... may be 16 hours before I'm tossin' 2-3 splits in to keep the coal bed viable.

View attachment 386388
I have to say that is impressive! Even though the temps are fairly mild I would say you have a very sweet setup there!

I have to say that is impressive! Even though the temps are fairly mild...
Yeah... 39° right now. Ain't no way I'd have got this many hours if temps were colder. Mid-20s and I'd have loaded three hours ago... maybe four. If we were in single digits I'd have loaded a least a little when I rolled out this morning just to stay ahead of it.
But...

16½ hours and it's finally time to add some fuel (thermometer just now changed to 69°). The truth is I've pushed it because of this thread... I really should'a added a couple sticks about 1½ or 2 hours ago (exactly what I estimated early this morning... 'bout 15 hours) so we wouldn't lose. Anyway... here it is... loosing a little bit of temp in the house. I'm headed down to toss some sticks in...
tstat.JPG

Yeah... 39° right now. Ain't no way I'd have got this many hours if temps were colder. Mid-20s and I'd have loaded three hours ago... maybe four. If we were in single digits I'd have loaded a least a little when I rolled out this morning just to stay ahead of it.
But...

16½ hours and it's finally time to add some fuel (thermometer just now changed to 69°). The truth is I've pushed it because of this thread... I really should'a added a couple sticks about 1½ or 2 hours ago (exactly what I estimated early this morning... 'bout 15 hours) so we wouldn't lose. Anyway... here it is... loosing a little bit of temp in the house. I'm headed down to toss a some in...
View attachment 386429
and the proud, arrogant ones.. would tell you a elitist stove would be soooooooooo much better........:dizzy::dizzy::ices_rofl:

Yeah... 39° right now.

Oh‼ And after 16½ hours there's enough screamin' hot coals (that ain't ashed-over) to just open the door, toss in the sticks, slam the friggin' door, and walk away‼
Fantastical... ain't it?? :surprised3:
All more irrelevant distraction, as this discussion was never about a wood furnace with an active control system and a forced draft blower in a 39° warm spell.

How about that simple box with fixed air inlets you never adjusted through the burn, and air flow up through the coal bed, heating your house to a steady 70° in sub zero temps (yes, that was the discussion), and burning for 6-12hrs? No adjustments at all during the burn.

BTW, since it is 37° here today I let the large secondary combustion stove go out and am burning the little Hampton H200 secondary combustion stove. House is nice and toasty with only a couple of small splits in that small fire box. No ash problems either. Here I've just reloaded it for the first time today - three small splits (<14"):
IMG_0591-800.jpg
Nice hot coals - the primary air is almost completely shut down. Here is the awful load of coal and ash in the bottom - I haven't cleaned it out in quite a few days of burning:
IMG_0592-800.jpg

I got up around 5:30. Started up the Quadrafire elitist communist feminist stove. Put in 3 pieces of firewood. Added 3 more and turned it down. House got too hot. Stove is going out, slower than I wish. It is 40 outside. House is 1400 sq. feet, built recently with 2X6 walls, insulated and vinyl doublepane? windows in it--lots of glass in the big room. My "blower" is a ceiling fan.

Jesus Chris-PA, you really do believe in the magic, don't ya'??
Did you even bother to read post #236??
Sure - you went on an on about the performance of your wood furnace, which is totally irrelevant in a discussion about wood stoves. And backpedaled on the 6-12hr burn - which appliance was that exactly? It appears it was actually the furnace too. How long would that stove you had before the "Stovace" actually go while maintaining a steady 70° on a really cold day with a fixed air setting? I don't have any doubt that a large wood furnace with a control system that can stop the burn down to nothing and then blast it back to life with a blower can heat your place on a 39° day with a very long burn time. Yawn.

I'm heating mine with a tiny secondary combustion stove and a few small splits, and not building up a huge bed of coals, and it's a couple of degrees colder here today. So you're saying this is magic, or that maybe I'm not actually heating my house but just think I am thanks to my belief in magic?

Then again I guess you would think it is magic, as on a similar day you were unable to get your shop up to 60° with a much larger secondary combustion stove, and buried the splits in a 4-5" bed of coals in 2hrs. Apparently you don't know the magic spell.

How long would that stove you had before the "Stovace" actually go while maintaining a steady 70° on a really cold day with a fixed air setting?
I answered that in post #236... the post you claim was only about my furnace... obviously you did not read it.
This repeating myself is gettin' old, but I'll do it again...

#236 - "I don't believe I said it would heat for 6-12 hours "at sub-zero temperatures"... you're reading more into what was posted than what was posted.
I believe I said it would heat for 6-12 hours depending on quantity and quality of fuel load, heating demand, and whatnot.
... ... ...
With the larger firebox of the DAKA, I can get an easy 10 hours with a big load of oak at sub-zero temperatures (I've never "
filled" it, it would be too hot in here)... but the old box wasn't that big, so a "full" load of oak (10-12, maybe 13 splits depending) was required for 6 or 7 hours at sub-zero temps."

I answered that in post #236... the post you claim was only about my furnace... obviously you did not read it.
This repeating myself is gettin' old, but I'll do it again...

#236 - "I don't believe I said it would heat for 6-12 hours "at sub-zero temperatures"... you're reading more into what was posted than what was posted.
I believe I said it would heat for 6-12 hours depending on quantity and quality of fuel load, heating demand, and whatnot.
... ... ...
With the larger firebox of the DAKA, I can get an easy 10 hours with a big load of oak at sub-zero temperatures (I've never "
filled" it, it would be too hot in here)... but the old box wasn't that big, so a "full" load of oak (10-12, maybe 13 splits depending) was required for 6 or 7 hours at sub-zero temps."
OK, I really don't care how the furnace compares to the Spectrum wood stove, it is apples-to-oranges and just makes digging through your claims a PITA.

So you are saying the firebox of the stove you had before the Spectrum held up to 13 splits? And you could put that much in the Spectrum too? Most of the secondary combustion stoves are not intended to have the firebox filled to the air manifold. Mine recommends only loading wood up to the top of the bricks - I fill it higher but not to the top.

Latest posts

Back