Secondary stove working a little better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theswampthing

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So the last couple days I was messing with my stove, cause I wasn't real happy with it. Anywho, there is an air outlet on bottom center of the stove. What I did was rake out a channel in the coals down the middle of the fire box, and bank the coals forward and up on each side. This made the wood I added much easier to ignite, and it seemed to produce more heat, for a longer period of time. I was getting about 3 to 4* more out of the stove, and it also seemed to curb the coaling issue a little bit. The problem is that it still requires constant attention. I am happier with the stove, though.

What does 3 to 4* mean??

Posting your stove make & model would probably help. I have a Jotul C550 insert, and what everyone calls the "doghouse" air is where you described. Always after raking coals I'll clear this area to let that air get in. There are 2 maybe 1/8" holes in there. It's really pathetic how my user's manual describes basically none of the stuff I have discovered after the fact searching the 'net. Pretty much all the useful posts are here, and other firewood forums.

So the last couple days I was messing with my stove, cause I wasn't real happy with it. Anywho, there is an air outlet on bottom center of the stove. What I did was rake out a channel in the coals down the middle of the fire box, and bank the coals forward and up on each side. This made the wood I added much easier to ignite, and it seemed to produce more heat, for a longer period of time.
Yes, I figured this out last burning season (2012/2013). It makes a noticable difference, as you stated.

I have a Regency I3100 (their biggest insert). In its 4th year of burning wood.

Latest posts

Back