Color of ash buildup on steel parts in stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Pacific Energy Summit
15’ straight up stove pipe
Stove runs amazingly well producing GREAT heat. Always getting secondary burn with every load. this is my first winter with it (and a EPA stove at that)

Burning mostly
oak
Cherry
Hickory

And a little
Pine
Black walnut
Beech

All seasoned over 3 years

Stove started off with this light brown tint to the steel parts from burning. Looked good. Now it has a white look. Never seen this before so I thought id ask about it.

The only thing we have changed in the past few weeks is we are now running the stove full time.... as in no “new” fires have been started in at least 3 weeks. This stove holds coals very well.

I was originally loading east to west but i want more heat so I’ve been loading north to south exclusively. I go for stove top temps of 500-600 when i put a new load in. Once there i hold it there for about 15 min and then damper down to let it linger around 400-450. This lets me get very good secondary burn and it stay at that temp for a long time

Any thoughts on the white color?

89a627788cc85d70f094233f90d3d8c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White is very good !!!!!!!!

I had no idea. Thank you.

Can you help me understand why? I understand black and shiny is BAD but did not know white was a good thing. Does just mean its burning clean and hot?

Yes
Black is un burnt fuel
Brown is alright but it lets you know it can improved upon
White the best
This even goes for pellet stoves

I greatly appreciate your help sir

The white ash sticking to everything above the fire is all the black and brown unburnt fuel that accumulates during cold starts and cold fires being burned. It doesn't, for the most part, fall off or go up the chimney, it just hangs on.

The white ash sticking to everything above the fire is all the black and brown unburnt fuel that accumulates during cold starts and cold fires being burned. It doesn't, for the most part, fall off or go up the chimney, it just hangs on.
The white comes from the black/brown burning off with a hot fire.If you have a glass fronted stove door you'll see black on the glass if the wood was wet but it will turn to a white ash with plenty of heat.

My glass has been clean and clear for 3-4 weeks now. Not even a hint of brown or black on it. Im very surprised and happy about this.

Just did my first full cleaning of the stove and pipe yesterday to take advantage of the warm weather.

Going to make a thread later and post pics to see what you guys think of how much buildup was on the pipe and such.

The white comes from the black/brown burning off with a hot fire.If you have a glass fronted stove door you'll see black on the glass if the wood was wet but it will turn to a white ash with plenty of heat.
I think that's what I said?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back