Seeking work location where I can ski

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm entertaining the idea of moving to a ski town. I'm single, 29, no debt or major attachments, so I rationalize that now is the time to do this. I've been climbing for 8 years, Class B CDL, alot of bucket and crane experience. I'm just wondering if you guys know of anything available. Cheers

Try the Winter Park Area Colorado

PeteS said:
I'm entertaining the idea of moving to a ski town. I'm single, 29, no debt or major attachments, so I rationalize that now is the time to do this. I've been climbing for 8 years, Class B CDL, alot of bucket and crane experience. I'm just wondering if you guys know of anything available. Cheers

Hi, When I was out in Winter Park/Fraiser/Granby areas this late summer they where screaming for help.
There was a log truck driver job listed at like $15 per hour to start CDL B.They where looking for flaggers on highway jobs at $14 per hour,construction everywhere.Granby just approved 4,000 building permits for the second time this year so they are growing $$$$from Denver building their weekend getaways.Great skiing also.Winter Park and Steamboat not to far away.

if you show up they will hire you.
i have been looking for framing help for 6 months. at this point i dont even bother to advertise, no one calls. the temp service says i am 40th in line.

my friend just moved to Bend, Oregon to work for trees inc. mt. bachelor is sweet, and close by. trees inc. needs more guys there.

I have more work than I can handle. I live in Colorado Springs. One contract I have is for cleaning up ( MPB kill, mistletoe and logs on ground) 35 acres at 1k an acre. I still have 25 to go. Been working it all summer with one brush dog. Blow chips onto property, haul off large beetle logs.

The problem is workmans comp insurance. I carry my own liability and health, but my insurance CO wants 12 grand for one person.

Hey Chronic. 12 grand sounds like an exorbitant amount for 1 worker. I'm actually paying for my own insurance since I've been working on my own for the past few months. So that wouldn't be a problem. If you're interested in a full time worker send me a pm when you get the chance.

Thanks for the feedback amigos. Do you guys out west usually work year round? Anybody else out there like to ski/ ride? I'd be interested to hear if it's possible to swing a tree job job and find the time to ski.

The Kill should kepp you busy

Chronic1 said:
I have more work than I can handle. I live in Colorado Springs. One contract I have is for cleaning up ( MPB kill, mistletoe and logs on ground) 35 acres at 1k an acre. I still have 25 to go. Been working it all summer with one brush dog. Blow chips onto property, haul off large beetle logs.

The problem is workmans comp insurance. I carry my own liability and health, but my insurance CO wants 12 grand for one person.

The Kill should keep you busy for a long time ahead.

Pete,
On the front range we work all year, I cant speak for the mountain town companies. If Breckenridge interests you, there's a really good company there called a cut above forestry, they are in breck and the vail valley. I know he shuts down for the winter and works at the ski area.

I manage to backcountry ski a lot in the winter. Just bought a new pair of K2 Work Stynx telemark skis. New Garmont boots too.

Colorado is considered semi-arid, over 300 sunny days a year. I live in the rian shadow of Pikes Peak and it's a desert...right next to the Garden of the Gods. March and April gets crappy, but that's when the snow is the best in the high-country. That's the great thing about being self employed with low overhead, if you want to take off for a week and ski in the San Juans there is nothing stopping you......

I have been looking for a full time person. Finding someone who wants to bust ass isn't easy (in my experience).

If I don't find someone, the work won't get done. What I'm looking for...

Self insured
Knows chainsaws, chippers, climbing etc
I don't want to baby sit
No flaking out
I don't care what you do during your own time, but no drugs or alcohol on the job site (I could tell you stories that would burn off your ears)
Good work ethic
I can trust the person

I'd be willing to pay someone good money for quality help.

I understand...

Chronic1 said:
I have been looking for a full time person. Finding someone who wants to bust ass isn't easy (in my experience).

If I don't find someone, the work won't get done. What I'm looking for...

Self insured
Knows chainsaws, chippers, climbing etc
I don't want to baby sit
No flaking out
I don't care what you do during your own time, but no drugs or alcohol on the job site (I could tell you stories that would burn off your ears)
Good work ethic
I can trust the person

I'd be willing to pay someone good money for quality help.

Boy do I understand,Ran/owned a trucking/paving/snow removal company for company ten years.held state contracts etc....Never knew where my help was hour to hour...Finally sold off!!!

Last edited:
Yup...stuffing brush into a chipper and working with other dangerous machinery is not too apealing to most people. For me it's freedom. I worked in the computer field for ten years...it was terrible...except fot the office babes. LOL.

I can relate

Chronic1 said:
Yup...stuffing brush into a chipper and working with other dangerous machinery is not too apealing to most people. For me it's freedom. I worked in the computer field for ten years...it was terrible...except fot the office babes. LOL.

Before trucking I was a service manager for a large multi line motorcycle dealership,I was there for 6 years.Ended up not wanting to see bikes and or sleds in my time off, just the opposite reason that I wanted to be there to begin with.Serious quality of life issues!!!!
Trucking was a tough deal, but I had my time which was worth all the commission checks in the world.

Chronic1 said:

????, that sounds just like me, i've been doing computer consulting for ten years, but I loved the tree work when I was doing it. I'm starting to put out the feelers to get back into it, even started buying some gear. Wilma seemed like a good opportunity since I just moved to florida.

take a look at some pics from wilma:
http://flickr.com/photos/karllong/sets/1293488/

The bottom fell out of the computer industry here on Colorado's Front Range. Forestry/tree work was the only field I had been in. It's a better fit for me.

Starting my own deal was and is overwhelming. This forum has been a killer find for me.

Good luck and be safe...

on the west coast we work year round. problem is there is little work during the rainy season. A lot of people have this romantic idea that there is tons of emergency work during the winter but truth is that those jobs are eaten up by the giants and most of us
sole proprietors get left in the dust...... :Eye:

I have found that I can under-bid the large companies, give better customer service and do a better job.

Of course, it takes me twice as long. Argh.

Latest posts

Back