Seized 044 - Leaking arround spark plug??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaltonPaull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a used ripsaw portable bandsaw mill off eBay that came with a barley used 044. The first thing I noticed about the 044 was that it was very easy to pull the rope even though it seemed to run fine. I pulled of the muffler and sure enough there was some serious scoring on the exhaust side and the rings where stuck. I tore down the saw and pressure/vacuum tested it and the only leak I've found was from around the spark plug. Although the plug wasn't exactly loose in the first place, tightening it was all it took to fix the leak.

Should I be satisfied that this saw failed because of the loose spark plug? If it leaked a little cold, I suppose it could have leaked a lot when it was hot. I just want to be cautious and not ruin the new piston.

If it passed a vacuum and pressure test, I'd guess that it was a fuel issue that caused the piston to seize. It could have been anything from a tank vent, fuel hose, fuel filter, or the carb too lean. Check your impulse line as well for leaks. Disassemble and clean the carb. Remove the limiter tabs form the caps and replace.

Latest posts

Back