Selling/Removing Two Redwood Trees from Property in So Cal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austenhibler

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the community and created my account specifically for this post. I live in Bakersfield, CA, and have two redwoods on my property that are damaging one of my walls and possibly our home's foundation. We have begun gathering quotes but I found during research there is a possibility to sell the wood to help offset the cost or even come out "ahead".

The "left" redwood has a DBH of 30" while the "right" redwood has a DBH of 34". To my knowledge, this measurement is taken at about 4 1/2' from above the ground which is what I did. To my estimation, the trees are about 50' tall. I am not entirely sure about the health/grade of the trees but have tried to include adequate pictures to help determine that. Would these trees have any value? And are there recommended lumber yards or lumber mills in the southern California region worth reaching out to? For reference, the cheapest quote we have gotten for removal (including stump grinding) has been 4k. Thank you!

Attachments

• image_50731009.JPG
    image_50731009.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
  • image_50733313.JPG
    image_50733313.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • image_50760961.JPG
    image_50760961.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • image_50770177.JPG
    image_50770177.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
  • image_67531521.JPG
    image_67531521.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-6963.jpg
    IMG-6963.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Most lumber mills won't accept trees from residences due to the likelihood of metal being embedded in the wood. Assuming from the removal price they will have to be climbed, it is also challenging for a climber to take down the trunks in marketable lengths, not to mention the potential for damage to your yard. Additionally, it is difficult enough to make money logging when you are harvesting acres of trees, 2 just isn't profitable. Is there much logging in the Bakersfield area?

Most lumber mills won't accept trees from residences due to the likelihood of metal being embedded in the wood. Assuming from the removal price they will have to be climbed, it is also challenging for a climber to take down the trunks in marketable lengths, not to mention the potential for damage to your yard. Additionally, it is difficult enough to make money logging when you are harvesting acres of trees, 2 just isn't profitable. Is there much logging in the Bakersfield area?
Lots of farming, not much logging, a lot more oilfield activity than people may expect.

Lots of farming, not much logging, a lot more oilfield activity than people may expect.
Yeah, it could be a couple hundred miles to the nearest mill, so even if they would take them the haul fee could be more than the logs are worth. Not to mention, since they grew in isolation rather than in a forest, you can see how full their canopy is almost to ground level... gonna be full of knots... definitely not #1 prime...

Best bet would be to have the removal company (if there is room) top the tree, remove branches, and fell as long of a log as possible, or at least drop long logs as they go down. Have them clear out the branches but leave the logs so you can try and sell them on Marketplace or something. Some of us mill owners would take a chance on killing a blade on a yard tree.

Best bet would be to have the removal company (if there is room) top the tree, remove branches, and fell as long of a log as possible, or at least drop long logs as they go down. Have them clear out the branches but leave the logs so you can try and sell them on Marketplace or something. Some of us mill owners would take a chance on killing a blade on a yard tree.

No, that's a good bet for an amateur mill owner, but a lousy bet for the homeowner. IF he finds a buyer, great. If he doesn't, he's stuck with logs in his yard, and has to call the tree company back. Believe me, tree companies hate going back, and charge accordingly.
If he does sell them, it will be at yard sale prices, and now he has some stranger, probably uninsured, using chainsaws and equipment in his front yard... a lot of liability for a few hundred bucks.
And then he has to clean up the final mess because you know the guy buying the logs isn't going to...
How is this his best bet?

Back