Semantics and Technicalities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPS, Suppose your out working with Bob or Bill who happens to be especially grouchy today and you drop you connecter and say "Where did that darn krab go? Could this be misinterpreted?:D

Perhaps "hinging metal attachment device" would be the best way to express what you're trying to say. How does that sound?

Nickrosis

How about saying "BINER" while pointing at a biner. I don't attempt to speak spanish, since I live in America and our language is ENGLISH! If JPS wants to talk about his crabs, it doesn't bother me. But if Julio doesn't understand "biner", then he probably won't understand 'krab' and probably shouldn't be under me while I'm in a tree. If I cannot communicate with a groundie, I certainly don't want him near my gear or lifeline!

Before krabs the brits called 'em "snap links".
Self closing, positive locking, forged metal, multi-use, load rated, connecting devices. AArrrghh!;)

But what if Julio is not an immigrant, but has a family that goes back 20 generations. He is new to the job and standing behind you as you mutter to yourself under the tree.

We MUST be careful to avoid hurting anyones feeling gentlefolk.

What if I'm just trying to be intentionaly difficult?

Of course you are trying to be difficult. A large percentage of the users here are self employed which by nature makes them difficult.

165 - I think the fear was that the south of the border guys would understand biner aka beaner.

I do not speak spanish but here 90% of climbers are spanish speaking and 99% of the labor speaks spanish. Why fight it? I do know how to get my points across. Know the words for rope, tree, saw, lunch and es todo bueno. Chingadera is the best word for biner - it just means thing-a-ma-jig. If you need more spanish to keep them working, get new guys.

I have worked with white guys here who speak spanish by saying "rakey uppie" and "lunchie". LMAO!

where are my spics, oh, I mean spikes. Careful

Originally posted by NickfromWI
ps- some say "if you can't tie good knots, tie lots of them." I say- "if you can't tie good knots, learn good knots!"

There are two types of people in this world,

Those that can tie knots.....and those that can tie not!

For the latter, if you can't tie knots,..... tie lots!

Seriously, If someone doesn't know and understand knot tying I won't allow you to tend/handle my ropes or lines. I always take the time to teach new employees proper knots. It saves me from stressing about safety and wasting time trying to pick a granny knot out of the middle of a bull line.

I have to jump in on this knot thing. If a person dosen't know how to tie a knot. They should just stay home. I wouldn't care to teach them if they have never done it, but I'm not going to trust them with my safety or the owners safety untile I see they can do it and do it right. Also I want them to know simple knots to make my life easy when they send me something up in a tree.

the flair thing, I'm starting to say the basal flair; since it is a transition zone between the root and trucnk area.

My personal feelongs are that the entire thing should be exposed so that the first order roots are showing, this allows the tree to develop a good butress sysetem if it is allowed to live that long.

Questionable Word or Phrase
Trimming
Suggested Replacement
Pruning
Reasoning
Barbers trim. Landscapers shear in the name of trimming. Budget comptrollers trim. Legislators trim. Diet pills trim. Even Trimspa supposedly trims. Scissors trim. Moustaches get trimmed. Sails are trimmed. Airplanes are trimmed. You trim your apartment.

Pruning. The word distinguishes what we do as arborists for trees versus what others do to things. Pruning carries with it a sense of purpose in the work we do, not simply shaving off "excess" foliage.

trim ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trm)
v. trimmed, trim·ming, trims
v. tr.
To make neat or tidy by clipping, smoothing, or pruning: trimmed his moustache.

To remove (excess) by cutting: trim a budget.
To remove the excess from by or as if by cutting: trimmed off the rotten wood.
To ornament; decorate.
Informal.
To thrash; beat.
To defeat soundly.
To cheat.
To rebuke; scold.
Nautical.
To adjust (the sails and yards) so that they receive the wind properly.
To balance (a ship) by shifting its cargo or contents.
To balance (an aircraft) in flight by regulating the control surfaces and tabs.
To furnish or equip.

v. intr.
Nautical.
To be in or retain equilibrium.
To make sails and yards ready for sailing.

To affect or maintain cautious neutrality.
To fashion one's views for momentary popularity or advantage.

n.

State of order, arrangement, or appearance; condition: in good trim.
A condition of good health or fitness.

Exterior ornamentation, such as moldings or framework, on a building or vehicle.
Decoration or ornament, as for clothing.
Material used in commercial window displays.
Dress or equipment.
Excised or rejected material, such as film that has been cut in editing. Often used in the plural.
Personal quality; character.
A cutting or clipping to make neat: My hair needs a trim.
Nautical.
The readiness of a vessel for sailing with regard to ballast, sails, and yards.
The balance of a ship.
The difference between the draft at the bow and at the stern.
The position of an aircraft relative to its horizontal axis.

adj. trim·mer, trim·mest

In good or neat order.
In good physical condition; fit; slim.
Having lines, edges, or forms of neat and pleasing simplicity. See Synonyms at neat1.

adv.
In a trim manner.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

trim

\Trim\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Trimmed; p. pr. & vb. n. Trimming.] [OE. trimen, trumen, AS. trymian, trymman, to prepare, dispose, make strong, fr. trum firm, strong; of uncertain origin.] 1. To make trim; to put in due order for any purpose; to make right, neat, or pleasing; to adjust.

The hermit trimmed his little fire. --Goldsmith.

2. To dress; to decorate; to adorn; to invest; to embellish; as, to trim a hat.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

trim

\Trim\, v. i. To balance; to fluctuate between parties, so as to appear to favor each.

trim

\Trim\, n. 1. Dress; gear; ornaments.

Seeing him just pass the window in his woodland trim. --Sir W. Scott.

2. Order; disposition; condition; as, to be in good trim. `` The trim of an encounter.'' --Chapman.

3. The state of a ship or her cargo, ballast, masts, etc., by which she is well prepared for sailing.

4. (Arch) The lighter woodwork in the interior of a building; especially, that used around openings, generally in the form of a molded architrave, to protect the plastering at those points.

In ballast trim (Naut.), having only ballast on board. --R. H. Dana, Jr.

Trim of the masts (Naut.), their position in regard to the ship and to each other, as near or distant, far forward or much aft, erect or raking.

Trim of sails (Naut.), that adjustment, with reference to the wind, witch is best adapted to impel the ship forward.

trim

\Trim\, a. [Compar. Trimmer; superl. Trimmest.] [See Trim, v. t.] Fitly adjusted; being in good order., or made ready for service or use; firm; compact; snug; neat; fair; as, the ship is trim, or trim built; everything about the man is trim; a person is trim when his body is well shaped and firm; his dress is trim when it fits closely to his body, and appears tight and snug; a man or a soldier is trim when he stands erect.

With comely carriage of her countenance trim. --Spenser.

So deemed I till I viewed their trim array Of boats last night. --Trench.

trim

adj 1: thin and fit; "the spare figure of a marathon runner"; "a body kept trim by exercise" [syn: spare] 2: (used of hair) neat and tidy; "a nicely kempt beard" [syn: kempt, tidy] 3: of places; characterized by order and neatness; free from disorder; "even the barn was shipshape"; "a trim little sailboat" [syn: shipshape, well-kept] 4: (of persons) neat and smart in appearance; "a clean-cut and well-bred young man"; "the trig corporal in his jaunty cap" [syn: clean-cut, trig] 5: severely simple in line or design; "a neat tailored suit"; "tailored curtains" [syn: tailored] n 1: a state of arrangement or appearance: "in good trim" [syn: trimness] 2: a decoration or adornment on a garment; "the trimming on a hat" or "the trim on a shirt" [syn: trimming, passementerie] 3: attitude of an aircraft in flight when allowed to take its own orientation 4: cutting down to the desired size or shape [syn: trimming, clipping] v 1: remove the edges from: "trim the picture" [syn: pare] 2: decorate with ornaments, as of christmas trees 3: cut down on; make a reduction in; "reduce your daily fat intake"; "The employer wants to cut back health benefits" [syn: reduce, cut down, cut back, trim down, trim back, cut, bring down] 4: decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods [syn: garnish, dress] 5: cut back the growth of, of bushes and trees [syn: snip, clip, crop, lop, dress, prune, cut back] 6: cut closely; "trim my beard" [syn: shave] 7: trim carefully; of fingernails [syn: manicure]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Versus

prune2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prn)
v. pruned, prun·ing, prunes
v. tr.
To cut off or remove dead or living parts or branches of (a plant, for example) to improve shape or growth.
To remove or cut out as superfluous.
To reduce: prune a budget.

v. intr.
To remove what is superfluous or undesirable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English prouinen, from Old French proignier, perhaps from Vulgar Latin *prretundire : Latin pr-, in front; see pro-1 + Latin rotundus, round (from rota, wheel. See ret- in Indo-European Roots).]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pruner n.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

prune1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prn)
n.

The partially dried fruit of any of several varieties of the common plum, Prunus domestica.
Any kind of plum that can be dried without spoiling.
Slang. An ill-tempered, stupid, or incompetent person.

intr.v. Slang pruned, prun·ing, prunes
To make a facial expression exhibiting ill temper or disgust: “Their faces prune at the slightest provocation” (James Wolcott).

[Middle English, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *prna, from Latin prnum, plum.]

[Download or Buy Now]

prune

( P ) prune: log in for this definition of prune and other entries in Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, available only to Dictionary.com Premium members.

Source: Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

prune

\Prune\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pruned; p. pr. & vb. n. Pruning.] [OE. proine, probably fr. F. provigner to lay down vine stocks for propagation; hence, probably, the meaning, to cut away superfluous shoots. See Provine.] 1. To lop or cut off the superfluous parts, branches, or shoots of; to clear of useless material; to shape or smooth by trimming; to trim: as, to prune trees; to prune an essay. --Thackeray.

Taking into consideration how they [laws] are to be pruned and reformed. --Bacon.

Our delightful task To prune these growing plants, and tend these flowers. --Milton.

2. To cut off or cut out, as useless parts.

Horace will our superfluous branches prune. --Waller.

3. To preen; to prepare; to dress. --Spenser.

His royal bird Prunes the immortal wing and cloys his beak. --Shak.

prune

n : dried plum v 1: cut back the growth of, of bushes and trees [syn: snip, clip, crop, trim, lop, dress, cut back] 2: weed out unwanted or unnecessary things; "We had to lose weight, so we cut the sugar from our diet" [syn: cut, rationalize]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

In my persona lexicon trim is removal of material where the growth habits and structure of the plant are not being taken into concideration. e.g. ROW trimming and structural clearance to an arbitrary hight.

Pune is to remove material taking the plants "needs" into concideration.

this way if the crew understands the vocabulary, if you say trim for 5 ft of roo clrarance, they know what to do. If you sar trim for house clearance then they know to work in a minimalistic manner that will eliminate friction and give a few years of "growth clearance" . eg shortening the "divers" on a limb and pruning to direct growth up and out on small branch tips.

Some times we over parse the language we use, i've read arguments infavor of removing "limb" from usage, because that is anthropomorfic...:rolleyes:

Callus and Woundwood are not interchangeable.

Consider this from: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLN-Aug0101.html
Yard & Garden Line News
"Cracks and Splits in Tree Trunks"
Patrick Weicherding, Extension Educator - Horticulture, Anoka County
Dr. Robert Miller, Professor of Urban Forestry at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, may have the answer. For more than a decade Dr. Miller has been teaching a course titled "Tree Structure and Function" where students learn about trees by dissecting them. Dr. Miller and his students have dissected hundreds of trees with frost cracks, and they are always able to follow the crack into an internal defect where the problem originated. The defects they observed were many, but generally fell into three categories: trunk injuries, broken or torn branches and flush pruning wounds, all of which had been covered over with new wood.

Here's Dr. Miller's explanation: "As these kinds of injuries close over with woundwood, the callus tissue making the woundwood fuses together and seals over the injury. However, areas of structural weakness typically form where the woundwood joins together over the injury, and at the edges of the original wound, especially if the woundwood rolls over the edge of the wound. Years may pass until all evidence of the injury is buried under new wood. But as the tree warms by day and cools by night, physical stresses start the process of splitting the wood from weak areas at the original injury towards the surface. Slowly the crack works its way to the surface until finally on a cold night the tree splits open."
Consider this from: http://extension.usu.edu/files/natrpubs/ff004.pdf
Utah Forest Facts
"Pruning Landscape Trees: An Overview"
Mike Kuhns, State Extension Forester
Wound Closure — Natural target cuts start to seal over
quickly as woundwood, sometimes called callus, forms at
the wound edges (callus forms first and becomes
woundwood as it matures and becomes woody).
Woundwood usually forms in a continuous ring around a
natural target cut, eventually sealing over the wound as it
grows together. Gaps in the woundwood at the top and/or
bottom indicate flush-cuts, cuts that were made too close
to the stem (see below). Though such wounds may
eventually seal, they have a greater chance for dieback,
decay, and crack formation than natural target cuts. The
term “seal,” rather than “heal,” is used to describe tree
wound closure, since the wound still exists inside the tree
even after it no longer shows on the outside.
From ANSI A300:
4.6 callus: Undifferentiated tissue formed by the cambium layer around a wound.
4.55 woundwood: Partially differentiated tissue responsible for closing wounds. Woundwood develops from callus associated with wounds.
After a wound is created, trees respond by forming a thin layer of callus that soon turns into woundwood. You can't see callus with the naked eye - you see woundwood.

i wanted under my buisness name "removal and surgery'' instead of pruning,my signwriter said no one will know what your getting at with surgery,i tend to agree its a shame thou.i agree with most of your changes nick but root flare is rootflare id leave that one be

From ANSI A300:

quote:
4.6 callus: Undifferentiated tissue formed by the cambium layer around a wound.
4.55 woundwood: Partially differentiated tissue responsible for closing wounds. Woundwood develops from callus associated with wounds.

Nick,
This needs more explaination.
Undifferentiated tissue means it's not different from the normal tissue. Why can't you see normal tissue?
What is the difference in woundwood tissue?

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Undifferentiated tissue means it's not different from the normal tissue.
I don't think so, Mike. "differentiated - exhibiting biological specialization; adapted during development to a specific function or environment" As I (dimly) understand it, normal cambium tissue is differentiated toward the specific function of dividing into bark and wood. Callus tissue is not adapted to a specific function, it just deeps growing more, not differentiating.

What is the difference in woundwood tissue?
Woundwood is partially adapted to the specific function of developing woody tissues. That's my nutshell recall of Botany 400 from 20+ years ago, I'm open to better clarification.:rolleyes:

Back