Semi-chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been running full chisel skip chain forever and with most of the wood I'm cutting being dirty I have been thinking about some full skip semi chisel. So what does oregon and carlton call their full skip semi-chisel 3/8 .050?

I have been running full chisel skip chain forever and with most of the wood I'm cutting being dirty I have been thinking about some full skip semi chisel. So what does oregon and carlton call their full skip semi-chisel 3/8 .050?

Hi John,

The Carlton Semi chisel skip is A1EP-SK (Woodland Pro 30SCS), the Oregon is 72DJ and Stihl is 33RMF.

The semi chisel Woodland Pro chain is tough as nails. It sure is not fast but it is very very tough. Seems to hold an edge almost twice as long as 72lgx.

I normally wouldn't recommend skip chain on a bar less than 24" but I ran a 461 with a 20" skip tooth setup and it was an absolute light saber! You literally could not lean on it hard enough to slow it down in 15"+ Red Oak.

A chain with fewer cutters will of course get dull sooner, as there are fewer cutters to share the cutting.

I agree that an 18" bar is way too short to even consider it.

All i use now is full chisel, but what about half skip. I know full skip is too much

-Efisher26-

A chain with fewer cutters will of course get dull sooner, as there are fewer cutters to share the cutting.

I agree that an 18" bar is way too short to even consider it.
Howdy,
Pretty bold statement on something you've never tried. Full comp has a third more teeth and after using both a lot, I guarantee you that skip doesn't dull 33% faster than comp in normal cutting conditions. Although it definitely sharpens 33% faster. I totally see your theory if you had a constant supply of clean green wood and it was a matter of attrition.
Regards
Gregg

It's more about speed with shorter bars and skip tooth right? I'm using an older saw so I should just stay with full comp...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howdy,
Pretty bold statement on something you've never tried. Full comp has a third more teeth and after using both a lot, I guarantee you that skip doesn't dull 33% faster than comp in normal cutting conditions. Although it definitely sharpens 33% faster. I totally see your theory if you had a constant supply of clean green wood and it was a matter of attrition.
Regards
Gregg

If you hit junk in the wood that does of course change everything, but that isn't what I would call "normal cutting conditions"?

Of course there is no doubt that skip chain is faster to sharpen each time you do it, regardless if the reason is attrition or sudden damage - there never was.

Howdy,
Regards
Gregg

I cut a lot of hard dead dry oak and I've tried skip chain and it dulls way faster than full comp!

I found a skip chain on smaller bars tends to be kinda grabby. But you could run it.Half skip might be a bit better haven't tried it myself. Anyone know a half skip semi chisel I could buy?

Since no one answered, AFAIK 72DJ is Oregon semi chisel, 72LG is full chisel.

Least that's what we carry in the shop.

I've never run skip semi chisel, have run skip full chisel though. I run 18" bars on my small saws (Stihl 360s). I've never timed it or anything, but I can't tell much difference between full comp or skip.

I prefer semi chisel. Lot of silt in the bark (makes sparks at night)

I found a skip chain on smaller bars tends to be kinda grabby. But you could run it.Half skip might be a bit better haven't tried it myself. Anyone know a half skip semi chisel I could buy?

72KG is semi skip full chisel. Not sure on semi chisel, it wouldn't be common in any case.

Latest posts

Back