Serious Homelite Score (PIC HEAVY)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that was my saw!

That big Homelite 2100S was going to ship to me if the first caller didn't show! Got the text late the other night, it was you. Now how much did you give? It was a very nice looking saw, especially with that bar! At least it went to a good home.

Big-time congrats WM! Yep, as Lee and Hoss have said, its some variant of a 2100. The 2000 had a one-piece starter cover style like the Cs, XPs or 1050. The two piece cover with a coil that's on the outside of the rotor were on the 2100 series only.

Take a look at the piston. The 2100 (plain with no extra letters) had a single Dykes ring. The 2100S (or "Special") used two conventional rings. The Super 2100 had thin rings. Now, of course these could have been swapped over time, but assuming the saw is original, that would be the easiest way to see what you have.

Dan

That big Homelite 2100S was going to ship to me if the first caller didn't show! Got the text late the other night, it was you. Now how much did you give? It was a very nice looking saw, especially with that bar! At least it went to a good home.

When I talked to him he said he was never gonna ship it. he said he had someone in virginia and way out west interested and they were begging to ship but he didn't wanna.

The saw was complete and nothing broken with stellar compression so I gave full asking price w/o an issue and loaded it up as fast as I could to get outta there. I laughed at how much i spent all the way home :cheers:

Big-time congrats WM! Yep, as Lee and Hoss have said, its some variant of a 2100. The 2000 had a one-piece starter cover style like the Cs, XPs or 1050. The two piece cover with a coil that's on the outside of the rotor were on the 2100 series only.

Take a look at the piston. The 2100 (plain with no extra letters) had a single Dykes ring. The 2100S (or "Special") used two conventional rings. The Super 2100 had thin rings. Now, of course these could have been swapped over time, but assuming the saw is original, that would be the easiest way to see what you have.

Dan

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out at some point here soon. I'm gonna get the 360 i bought up and running 1st. I need a good trail clearing saw to ride on the wheeler with me.

Dan,
Thanks for breaking down the 2100 variants correctly. Always bothers me when the 2100S is referred to as a "2100 Super", which really is the "2100 Special" as you stated. I have all 3 variants including the 2000, the all run about the same, I think the 2100 with the dyke ring sounds the best! WM, great score, you won't be using the 1050 that much anymore.
Jonathan

I told the man if he couldn't sell it local and wouldn't mind boxing it up, I'd pay asking price plus shipping. He said that if it didn't sell this weekend it was mine, guess that's begging? Nice saw, I just wasn't driving a day for it. He even took my address for a shipping quote!

nice score wildman. i called on the saw last week and dragged my feet a little to long. no big deal im glad someone who will actually apreciate it got it. does it run? the guy told me it should but not that it did. i think its a 2100

nice score wildman. i called on the saw last week and dragged my feet a little to long. no big deal im glad someone who will actually apreciate it got it. does it run? the guy told me it should but not that it did. i think its a 2100

You should have snagged it. It took me 3 hours just to get there. I went to play with the 360 today 1st and when taking the carb off, 1/2 the intake boot came with it. I did get a good view of the piston and the saw might as well be new.

The 2100 has no spark but installing a Nova II module solved that problem. If i have time tomorrow I'll replace the line in the tank and to the carb and see if i can get it to run on its own. After i get it running i'll clean it up and make it presentable. I gotta look at the clutch though as it seems to be locked up. i can turn it by hand with some force but something is going on in there.

Here are some pics of the 360 I promised. All i did to it was wipe it with a dry rag and some compressed air.

DSC04492.jpg

DSC04493.jpg

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04495.jpg

DSC04496.jpg

DSC04497.jpg

Good lookin 360,
You did very well this weekend.

Check the bearing in the clutch drum
on your 2100, they can get gummed up.
A good cleaning and some grease should
fix it.

Lee

Good lookin 360,
You did very well this weekend.

Check the bearing in the clutch drum
on your 2100, they can get gummed up.
A good cleaning and some grease should
fix it.

Lee

Thanks Lee I'll try that. The clutch is all there and everything is tight and does not appear to be worn out. I think that may be it. If you hold the flywheel and try turning the drum by hand you can but it takes some force. It will turn but squeaks like a frozen bearing

If you find you need a bearing i have them in stock.

Lee

Thanks lee, I'll let ya know when I get into it here a little more.

BTW hows your Echo 900 coming along? Did you end up getting it? I have a new piston here for mine. Just gotta find the time to wanna finish it. Gotta find a hone to or maybe someone close to help for an hour

I am NO expert on Homelites by no means, but looking at the pics on Acres site, I would say 2100. The starter covers look different between the 2000 and 2100. Just a possibility.

As Arrowhead started you off in the right direction...

Great score Wildman,
Sink that puppy in some big wood
and you will be smiling for months.
Those big Homie's are one of my favorites.

What you have is not a 2000. It is either
a 2100 or a 2100S and not the Super 2100.

Lee

And Lee confirmed...

Dan

And Dan described very well and added some interesting info, thanks!

Here are pictures of my 2000, she is a great runner and is just plain awesome for cutting big blocks and noodling. The clutch cover was well designed to let the noodles flow out. Heavy is right, at about 28lbs with a 24in b/c and full of fluids she'll make a man out of you, handling her all day. The 2000/2100 series is a great line of saws, have fun. (Mine is missing the muffler gaurd)

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those big saws aren't nearly as heavy as I would have thought. I shipped a C-51 with a 18" B&C it was 29 lbs in the package. Not a bunch of difference.

Nice saws for sure, I wanted to keep the C-51 but I ain't a big enough boy to cut much with it, so...

Thanks lee, I'll let ya know when I get into it here a little more.

BTW hows your Echo 900 coming along? Did you end up getting it? I have a new piston here for mine. Just gotta find the time to wanna finish it. Gotta find a hone to or maybe someone close to help for an hour

Lost out on the 900.
I'm not worried as there
will be others. I picked up
a few other saws this past
2 weeks.

Lee

Lost out on the 900.
I'm not worried as there
will be others. I picked up
a few other saws this past
2 weeks.

Lee

If you are still interested in this one let me know. I got all the stuff here to complete it. It's running as is with good compression. Just going the safe route after I saw the crap in the intake.

I have a new air filter, piston, rings, pin, clips, base gasket, furl line, filter etc.

Back