Service Pro bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any body heard of this?

A friend of mine raved about this stuff and he ordered 5 cases, (6 gallons to a case). So what the heck I bought two cases and it is stringy just like snot and appears to be a real good oil, very clear and light colored.

The summer weight is 40 #. Here are some specs:
http://www.service-pro.com/documents/WarrenSpecs/WA-Bar&ChainOil.pdf

(copy and paste didn't exactly come out the same)

SERVICE PRO® BAR AND CHAIN OIL Manufactured with virgin base oils
Association of Independent Oil Distributors • www.service-pro.com • P.O. Box 1861 • Montrose, CO 81402 USA
Updated: 09/15 SPWNBCOIL
DESCRIPTION: SERVICE PRO® Bar and Chain Oil is a premium lubricant designed especially for the lubrication of bar and chains on chain saws, and all types of link chains that require lubrication, including motorcycles and bicycles, as well as farm and industrial uses.
SERVICE PRO® Bar and Chain Oil is formulated with highly refined base stocks and an additive package to assure excellent performance as a chain saw bar and chain lubricant. A special tackifier is added to the oil, which promotes good adhesion to moving parts and minimizes oil throw off. These oils are designed to prevent rusting and reduce wear and link breakage thus extending bar and chain life. Penetration into rivet holes and the bat channel is assured. Down-time and cutting interruptions are minimized.
• Extends bar, chain and sprocket life • Reduced throw off • Reduces heat build-up • Excellent rust and corrosion protection • Different viscosity weights for various ambient temperatures

Winter
Summer

20W
40W
Gravity, API
28.9 Density,
0.8808 Viscosity @40 Deg. C, cSt
118.56 @100 Deg. C, cSt
13.47 Viscosity Index
109 Pour Point Deg. F
PERFORMAN CE BENEFITS:
TYPICAL

I have not heard of it however,
My motorcycle (oiled foam) air filter oil seems the same as my chainsaw bar and chain oil. The motorcycle roller chain oil and the John Deere ag chain lube do not seem like say Husqvarna bar and chain lube. Husky oil comes in 10 and 30 wt at the local hardware store, the weight is in kind of tiny blue print. Check out the High grade Stihl stuff, it is clear.

118.56 @100 Deg. C, cSt
Doesn't that mean it is pretty thin (just 8 times thicker than water) when it hits a hot surface (heated bar groove)?
Not a diss, just curious. I've heard that PoulanPro bar&chain oil at wallyworld is almost as good as the Stihl stuff, but at half the cost.

Check out the High grade Stihl stuff, it is clear.
You mean the Ultra Bar Oil? That's because its 100% virgin vegetable oil. How else do you think they can boast "its biodegradable in less than 21 days"? Check the MSDS for it.

The numbers I quoted above don't mean a whole lot to me.:wtf:

I always like the green jug Poulon. Husqvarna not so much. Essence is very good but expensive and harder to get around here.

This Service Pro looks very good and I got it for $7/gallon so we will see.:innocent:

Never heard of a pro chain oil before, quite astonished that Stihl didn't come out with it before, but it must be good if it says pro on it...

We use Poulan. Sells for around $10 a gal wholesale. I just thin it with a cup or two of diesel.

Used vegetable oil for the Earthquakes. Worked fine, and at $3/gal, was cheap too.

Do NOT leave it sit in the saw however, when it ages and hardens, its impossible to get off. If storing, I'd drain it and run some bar oil through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the Ultra Bar Oil? That's because its 100% virgin vegetable oil. How else do you think they can boast "its biodegradable in less than 21 days"? Check the MSDS for it.

The silver colored plastic jugs. I would be more concerned about the oil pump, do you think the Ultra (and most likely Husky has comparable) is of any difference in this aspect. I got a gallon for just a few dollars extra. Clear is great.

I use extra-virgin olive oil. Smells nice, and helps lower my cholesterol.
I wouldn't recommend it for tree climbing in a saddle unless you like squishy squishy - Helps keep the cholesterol down by skidding everything out the other end quicker :D

We use Poulan. Sells for around $10 a gal wholesale.
If you mean the green bottle stuff, you really need to check walmart..... their regular price is $8 for a gallon, but cannot ship.

The silver colored plastic jugs.
If you mean the one on the left
chainoil.png

then yes. I picked up a bottle for :rare2: $16.95+tax :rare2:with my not-a-dollar-less-than-retail priced ms193t - wasn't completely clear, but it has plenty of tackifier in it. It works pretty good, but I noticed it doesn't get to the bottom of the bar very well when you are really runnin it (like trunking) and the saw starts to bog. Perhaps its just too thick for the Florida heat, and I should of got the winter oil which is actually thinner. The old treeguy I used to work with used any old oil (truck oil changes and hydraulic fluid were his favorites, he'd let them sit for a long time in a big drum with a magnet at the bottom, and skim off the top into his oil jugs), but when you have 3-4 jobs a day lined up most of the year, you can easily afford new loops and bars.
MSDS for Platnum lube

Seems I was mistaken, its only 99-95% mineral oil. I forget which one was virgin vegetable oil... maybe I was thinking of the Ultra oilmix. You will find interesting things in those MSDS's, like their Platnum winter oil is actually Chevron RPM 80W-90 Universal gear lubricant and 1-5% proprietary mix. (So just add 5% Lucas non-synthetic or other high quality tackifier by volume)

On a sidenote c5rulz: the Chevron RPM 80W-90 is listed as 14.2@100C, and 85W-140 is 25@100C for viscosity. Just to give a comparison of your oil to what Stihl puts out as their premium oils. Not trying to fling poo here, just information.

Yes green jug. It's about $10 at Walmart. (stuff costs most here... like no such thing as a dollar menu at fastfood, Hardware store prices are more, etc)
The stuff we get from the wholesaler is black jug with red oil. Not sure what is different. Price is about the same (within $0.25)

I wouldn't recommend it for tree climbing in a saddle unless you like squishy squishy - Helps keep the cholesterol down by skidding everything out the other end quicker :D

If you mean the green bottle stuff, you really need to check walmart..... their regular price is $8 for a gallon, but cannot ship.

If you mean the one on the left
chainoil.png

then yes. I picked up a bottle for :rare2: $16.95+tax :rare2:with my not-a-dollar-less-than-retail priced ms193t - wasn't completely clear, but it has plenty of tackifier in it. It works pretty good, but I noticed it doesn't get to the bottom of the bar very well when you are really runnin it (like trunking) and the saw starts to bog. Perhaps its just too thick for the Florida heat, and I should of got the winter oil which is actually thinner. The old treeguy I used to work with used any old oil (truck oil changes and hydraulic fluid were his favorites, he'd let them sit for a long time in a big drum with a magnet at the bottom, and skim off the top into his oil jugs), but when you have 3-4 jobs a day lined up most of the year, you can easily afford new loops and bars.
MSDS for Platnum lube

Seems I was mistaken, its only 99-95% mineral oil. I forget which one was virgin vegetable oil... maybe I was thinking of the Ultra oilmix. You will find interesting things in those MSDS's, like their Platnum winter oil is actually Chevron RPM 80W-90 Universal gear lubricant and 1-5% proprietary mix. (So just add 5% Lucas non-synthetic or other high quality tackifier by volume)

On a sidenote c5rulz: the Chevron RPM 80W-90 is listed as 14.2@100C, and 85W-140 is 25@100C for viscosity. Just to give a comparison of your oil to what Stihl puts out as their premium oils. Not trying to fling poo here, just information.

like no such thing as a dollar menu at fastfood
You can thank the guy who's currently in the 'black house' for that along with crashing the dollar, and all walmart poultry being killed domestically, then shipped on container ships to china to be processed&packaged and returned to stores. Mmm, 2 month old decayed chicken....

About the oil, I thought Wally world would have better prices in their home state.

You can thank the guy who's currently in the 'black house' for that along with crashing the dollar, and all walmart poultry being killed domestically, then shipped on container ships to china to be processed&packaged and returned to stores. Mmm, 2 month old decayed chicken....

About the oil, I thought Wally world would have better prices in their home state.

That would be Arkansas.... AR. I live in Alaska... AK.

Back