shaphalera tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
We recently purchased a new house and was told by an acquaintance that we should destroy a beautiful 30 foot shaphalera tree because the roots could damage the foundation and plumbing of the house. We've received several estimate for the tree removal but I don't trust someone who is being paid to tell me objectively if the tree needs to be removed. What is your opinion of this type of tree? Please advise asap!

Not familiar with that tree.

In general tree roots will not be a problem with foundations, especialy if there is a basement in the home. Slab construction can be a little more of a problem, but then only if poorly constructed.

Tree roots only grow where there is O and H2O. So there must be a problem with the construction for them to "invade". Same with sewer, the pipe has to be cracked for the roots to get in in the firsst place.

One problem that trees definatly contribute to is the movement of dynamic clays. If a poor soil choice has been made for the construction drying of the clay causes it to contract, and then when rehydrated it expands. This movement can cause foundations move and crack. Trees can exacerbate this in drough times by extracting more water from the soil, trying to suport itself.

Your best bet for an impartial opinion is to find a consulting arborist who has no interest in any work to be done to the tree.

Look here;

http://www.asca-consultants.org/

Its actually a Schefflera actinophylla, also known as Queensland Umbrella Tree. They're often planted too close to homes. They do form large surface roots and are considered invasive. Here in Florida, they're on the pest list and removal is encouraged.

Years ago a good friend had a Schefflera rihgt next to his house. It had started out as a houseplant that got left outside too long. It rooted through the pot and ended up cracking the foundation of the house! By the time I removed it, it was about 36" diameter and 45' tall.
Brett is right, they are considered invasive now. You cannot find them in the local nursuries any more. Thank God!

Latest posts

Back