shindaiwa chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porta mill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i am looking to get a new chain saw. I have had a mac johnsred sthil . I like the sthil saws, but have seen shindaiwa in the a few local shops . was wondering how they are compared the the other big name saws . looking for some feed back

great saws from what i remeber.i had them in the early 90s.

they were stolen but i liked them alot.no one here carries them so i cannot speak for the new ones.i don't think their blowers and trimmers are worth a flip anymore.my buddy has a lawn service and he is having nothing but problems with them.he's switching over to all husky next year.

i am looking to get a new chain saw. I have had a mac johnsred sthil . I like the sthil saws, but have seen shindaiwa in the a few local shops . was wondering how they are compared the the other big name saws . looking for some feed back

AS member FourPaws will be along shortly (I'm sure) to tell you about Shindaiwa saws...he's a big fan of them.

Kevin

You can't go wrong with a Shindaiwa. They're built extremely well. However, if you want a screaming fast saw, then Shindaiwas are not for you. They have lower RPMs (but more torque) than some brands, which on the plus side can mean increased life span.
Another current issue is their spotty lineup. Depends what size you're looking for, most of their saws available in the US are <50cc. The only model currently available above 50cc is the 757.

they were stolen but i liked them alot.no one here carries them so i cannot speak for the new ones.i don't think their blowers and trimmers are worth a flip anymore.my buddy has a lawn service and he is having nothing but problems with them.he's switching over to all husky next year.

Nope, Shindaiwa blowers and trimmers are still top-rated. We have seen very few problems with the equipment, and have sold Shindaiwa for a long time. Once a piece of equipment goes out our doors, most of the time we never see it again. Not much warranty work. Shindaiwa offers a love it or your money back (7 day) guarantee. We've only had 2 units come back, one was a guy trying to do big tree felling with a 48cc saw, and the other was a commercial user that tried a straight shaft trimmer but decided to trade it for a curved shaft.

Oh one more thing, as with any brand, you cannot expect 100% of the equipment produced to have 0 problems. Someone will always get a hold of a problem machine, but you have to look at the big picture.

Last edited:
We have models 757 and 446S. We have 20 some saws of various makes around here and the Shindys generally go to the woods when we cut. I have nothing bad to say about either of them, I guess that says enough. Like most everyone other than Stihl dealer service can be spotty, we happen to have a good one, at least he seems to be, I have never had the need for any service on mine.

saw

i am looking to replace a saw my frient ran over with his truck (sthil ms 170 ).i just need a smaller saw to cut up the smaller logs mainly fire wood or help trim up the logs if the carriage or the mill will not pass over the log

My buddy has a 757 I've used it a bit I liked it alot... so much i'm actually picking one up from my dealer tomm...Oh yeah I'm sorta of a shindy fan...considering i have 15 plus handhelds for my lawncare biz.

Latest posts

Back