Should I cut limb off or back or leave it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeojk27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, and gals,
I have a oak tree in my yard, one of four, (I count my neighbors since all his leaves seem to come to me :).
I absolutely love it.

Should I have the limb over my driveway pruned off?

My primary concern is the cars in the driveway. Whenever there's a storm I seem to move them back just in case.

My secondary concern is leaving it and it breaks off injuring the tree more than if I had it cut off.

A good storm came over Cape Cod here the day before I took these pictures. The tree seems strong and good.

Here are a few pics from two different angles. Appreciate the advice from you experts here thanks.

2508e4832a5a464e98bf847fd781d6f4.jpg
5726b2ba5cdd7817de2205b0ffbe1edf.jpg
98f3ac9c059ad33ab5f2fb61ada15671.jpg
c8da4339e83ec573467b03b84db020f9.jpg
488836a2c68ada4dd48486c1288db94e.jpg
acc8e2f251b2ea17efe2c38526a24863.jpg

Unless there are decay pockets I'm not seeing in those pictures, I'd leave it. Very good attachment angle, so it is unlikely to separate from the trunk.

Some might suggest reducing the end a little (NOT tipping it!!!), but I don't see that as necessary either, but a very minor reduction would take off a notable amount of force.

Also look at the rest of the trunk below that for any signs of weakness. The biggest problem with an excessively long branch like that is when the wind blows, it will twist the trunk. Trees are weakest in that torsional motion. If the trunk and roots are sound on a tree that size, I wouldn't worry about it. If there are defects lower down, that twisting motion could cause whole tree failure.

Oak is known for its strength, strong wood. As ATH points out, that limb displays no sign of weakness.

Of course in the right storm the entire tree or any part could fail, but if you're that concerned you'd need to remove every tree on your property.

Unless there are decay pockets I'm not seeing in those pictures, I'd leave it. Very good attachment angle, so it is unlikely to separate from the trunk.

Some might suggest reducing the end a little (NOT tipping it!!!), but I don't see that as necessary either, but a very minor reduction would take off a notable amount of force.

Also look at the rest of the trunk below that for any signs of weakness. The biggest problem with an excessively long branch like that is when the wind blows, it will twist the trunk. Trees are weakest in that torsional motion. If the trunk and roots are sound on a tree that size, I wouldn't worry about it. If there are defects lower down, that twisting motion could cause whole tree failure.

Thanks, appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oak is known for its strength, strong wood. As ATH points out, that limb displays no sign of weakness.

Of course in the right storm the entire tree or any part could fail, but if you're that concerned you'd need to remove every tree on your property.
And probably never drive on the interstate again...or go to a swimming pool or beach...certainly avoid medical procedures and prescriptions, etc...

It is good to be prudent and ask the questions, but I find myself often trying to help people put "risk" into perspective. It doesn't help when after every storm the news channels are showing so many pictures of tree damage. Many of those houses would have been destroyed tree or no tree...the trees just make for better pictures.

And probably never drive on the interstate again...or go to a swimming pool or beach...certainly avoid medical procedures and prescriptions, etc...

It is good to be prudent and ask the questions, but I find myself often trying to help people put "risk" into perspective. It doesn't help when after every storm the news channels are showing so many pictures of tree damage. Many of those houses would have been destroyed tree or no tree...the trees just make for better pictures.
Oak is very strong wood. That limb is a bit long, but without completely removing it, I'd leave it if it's not hanging over my garage or house or sheds or other.
Yes I notice that your news stations in the US really like to amp up the fear factor about weather and about everything really.
Was not always so. What's going on down there?

Oak is very strong wood. That limb is a bit long, but without completely removing it, I'd leave it if it's not hanging over my garage or house or sheds or other.
Yes I notice that your news stations in the US really like to amp up the fear factor about weather and about everything really.
Bad news sells. Too many new "reporters" trying to get recognition, hence the term, "drive-by-media".

The news is so melodramatic. I think it is more about society in general, I don’t put it all on the reporters, it really goes to the masses I guess.

I got a few messages asking if we were okay and all was good and nothing too crazy. I then turned the news on and you’d thing it was a tornado.

It hangs over our cars but not over any structures.

Hi guys, can it be cut back to ease the weight and stress on the limb? If so where would you do that? Just a thought. I really do just want to leave it so no guarantees I’ll do any trimming

Hi guys, can it be cut back to ease the weight and stress on the limb? If so where would you do that? Just a thought. I really do just want to leave it so no guarantees I’ll do any trimming
I wouldn't based on what we've seen...but if I had to, I'd prune at one of the 2 spots indicated in yellow or green - just to take some load off of the end.
shorten.jpg

Latest posts

Back