Should I get my 066 muffler modded

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw_Maniac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been hearign all this wonderful stuff about muffler modding and getting saws Walkerized. Should I do it with my 066 Arctic? I also have 2 x 28 super, a ms260 and a 38 magnum (all stihl), but the 066 is my "work horse" saw. The one I turn too when I've limbed the tree and need to make the large diameter cuts.

Is there a place near Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada to get it done? I'd rather have a proffesional do it then to do it myself, unless it's really easy.

It's not tha I'm not pleased with my saws performence. I keep the chains extra sharp at all times, the air filters clean at all times, and all my saws are very well maintained. The 066 cuts like hell already, but if I can find a way to cut even half a cord more a day, that's money in the bank.

Last edited:
hey maniac...i got 3 walkerized mufflers coming right now from john walker, i live in upstate new york.for my ms260, my 440 magnum, and my 066.........and i just picked up a 075 today for 150.00..............gonna see if walkers can make me one for that monster too..i'll tell you, the three mufflers from john, brand new, with the mods, and shipping was still less than three plain jane's from my dealer........................a matter of fact, he's gonna get me a complete new walkerized 066 magnum, balanced, and ported, with a walker muffler for 200.00 less than the stock 066 from my dealer...john's a great guy to talk to, and a great guy to do business with....and the walkerizing process may even include more than i had mentioned, but with what people have said, plus results people have mentioned, there is no way you could go wrong..........and there are a few other reputable saw builders in this forum, and they are ???? good also!!just ask around, i haven't had the pleasure of dealing with dennis for instance, but i plan on making his acquaintance...and i'd like to down a couple beers with the guys who built the v8 predator hotsaw..those guys got to be a blast

Alright, I'm really encouraged by what I'm reading and what is on the site that stihl magnum linked me too. Thanks.

How big is the perfemance enhancement? Say I have a hard maple that is 16 feet long and 2 feet in diameter (and somehow not sellable as a log). And I make 10 cuts to produce 10 pieces of wood. How fast would a walkerized 066 cut it as opposed to a stock 066? (estimated, i don't need exact figures).

10% faster? 15%? 20%?

Also, are there any negative side effects to walkerization? For example the engine wearing out faster? If there is nothing negative about it, why doesn't stihl make the saw's muffler 9and other components) like a walkerized saw, right out of the factory?

from what i have heard about walkerization, maniac, i hear that any saw will run better, have an increase in horsepower, and rpm's , but how much or how great for every saw, i could only guess, however on john's sight, there are charts for some models........i do know that your saw will run cooler, and heat kills over time.........guff

The current 066's are a little more restricted on the exhaust than older models. The nice thing is that you can still purchased the Magnum front muffler half giving you a true dual port muffler. I changed mine 5 or 6 years ago and there was a good performance increase. The current 066's have to have the exhaust basket opened up a bit. The end result is well worth it.

You will like dealing with Walkers. John did my 038 muffler for me and it not only looks great, but sounds great!
Check out his web site, and give him a call, you will not regret it!

I was originally cautios about shipping to BC from ontario, but i checked out Canada Post rates and according to them....

The following table shows the rate(s) for a parcel of 45.00 cm x 38.00 cm x 30.00 cm weighing 8.9000 Kg
From postal code N0H1S0 to postal code V9R6T9

It would take 8 days. And cost me about $25 with 1200 insurance on the package. Multiply that by 2 and i could have the saw back in my hands before the end of the month and only shell out $50 for the package and $200 (plus tax) for the walkerization.

That's pretty cheap. :)

By the way, Walkers offers a complete walkerization for $200. A muffler mod ony for $30. Dust flap $15. And saw balancing $100.

I guess the package I want is the complete walkerization (which includes the $30 muffler mod, doesn't it). I don't need the saw balancing or "dust flap", do I?

Maniac,

I do believe that "Walkerizing" does include the modded muffler also and if it's gonna be walkerized they will be balancing it anyways..I don't think you'll need the dust flap unless you afraid of some flying chips :D Good luck with your new saw.

Later Rob.

Back