should I replace this stove and chimney?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
buying a new(used) house with used and abused woodstove and chimney
the stove is a England Stove model 18-MH manufactured 1999.
the house is 2100 square feet and I hope to use the stove as my primary heat source. the stove will need a new cat converter at $275 and flame deflector at $35. I would replace it with a Blaze King Princess model and insulated chimney. the stove will cost $1800 and the chimney/flue, etc $1000.

That chimney looks to be in dire shape. The roof looks as though it needs replacing as well. Do I not see a gutter in that first pic? Roof and chimney need immediate attention IMO. I would work on those issues first, and replace the woodstove as it becomes financially feasible. Good luck.

That chimney looks to be in dire shape. The roof looks as though it needs replacing as well. Do I not see a gutter in that first pic? Roof and chimney need immediate attention IMO. I would work on those issues first, and replace the woodstove as it becomes financially feasible. Good luck.

Very perceptive.
Yes the roof needs some attention as well....believe me we worked that into the purchase price. No gutters is an issue as well although we don't get much rain here and any gutters will have to withstand the consistent strong winds.

I am fairly certain this is sarcasm, but you asked a question and I gave my best answer. I could be wrong about the sarcasm....
Yes you are wrong about the sarcasm although I admit it may sound that way upon re-reading my response. I was just trying to say that you are correct and that the "perceptive" part was in respect to the fact that you mentioned the roof which I hadn't pointed out (in trying to keep the thread focused on the chimney and stove).
Thanx for your input.

Yes you are wrong about the sarcasm although I admit it may sound that way upon re-reading my response. I was just trying to say that you are correct and that the "perceptive" part was in respect to the fact that you mentioned the roof which I hadn't pointed out (in trying to keep the thread focused on the chimney and stove).
Thanx for your input.

Well then my sincerest apologies. Again good luck...sounds like you are on some harsh terrain up there in Emigrant.

No problem, it was my fault anyways.
The terrain isn't so bad it's just the winds that can be bad coming (draining) out of Yellowstone National Park. During the winter they can be very, very cold winds and with no trees to block them the house will need some serious heating attention. I'm thinking the winds (in addition to irresponsible stove use) are the reason for the state of the chimney (and roof staining).
How about those views though?

I would replace the stove and chimney if they are in your immediate budget. I would also make sure the new chimney is 2ft higher than the top of the highest point of your roof as it appears to be within the 10 ft rule and the existing chimney looks to be below that.

The roof itself looks like its on its last legs also.

Yep the others beat me too it. I don't know much about woodstoves or chimneys but that roof needs fixin. Evan

I'm no expert on this either but given that the roof appears to be coated in soot and/or creosote I would guess that the stove and chimney are not in much better shape. If it were me and I had the bread, I would replace the whole system and roof. Of course, I could be wrong that seems to be the consensus on anything here at home:hmm3grin2orange:

another pic to bring in some perspective. It gets very windy at this site so I am planning on installing a Vacu-Stack:
http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-1240
Wow, awesome view man! Yup, as stated above get that chimney done first and foremost, eeek! From the looks of the size of the house I'd say the existing stove is a bit on the smallish side but get that POS pipe outta there! There is a thread or two here on them btw with some good kinks on 'how to' and what is good/better/best.
Good luck in da new digs! :blob2:

:cheers:

Serge

buying a new(used) house with used and abused woodstove and chimney
the stove is a England Stove model 18-MH manufactured 1999.
the house is 2100 square feet and I hope to use the stove as my primary heat source. the stove will need a new cat converter at $275 and flame deflector at $35. I would replace it with a Blaze King Princess model and insulated chimney. the stove will cost $1800 and the chimney/flue, etc $1000.

I think I would replace your chimney to prevent your house from burning down.

consensus is to replace roof, chimney, and stove. Good thing I didn't include a picture of my shoes....you guys would have me replacing them as well!

By the way, I think the previous tenants :
didn't know how to use a woodstove w/ catalytic converter
burned trash
burned trash wood
and basically screwed up a good stove and chimney and made a roof in not so great of shape even worse.

Believe me it all came off the purchase price!

I'll say that chim looks shot. Hurry and get it out while the price of stainless scrap is high.

If I were you, I wouldn't go with fabricated chimney systems at all. They are very expensive and they really don't last that long, and thats coming from a union sheet metal worker. Look for a local brick layer and go with the clay flu liners and concrete chimney blocks. If money is an issue, do the leg work yourself like cutting the siding and building the scaffolds getting the material, whatever you can do. In the long run, you will save money.

I Pa., you couldn't even sell a house until that chimney is either removed or replaced. Also, I'm willing to bet you can get a better deal on your home owners insurance by going with masonary. Funny thing about Insurance, when I had my chimney built, I had some unnamed brand flu pipe that I demoed from a power plant. It was in real good shape but I would have needed 9 more feet to get me over my peak. When I tried to purchase some more of the same brand, I was told it was no longer available but I could get an adapter and another brand of pipe and also the hanging brackets for the whole lenght of the system. I looked at the hangers, and I wouldn't have hung a flower pot from one of them. I told my insurance agent that I was a sheet metal worker and have built, fabricated and installed all sorts of chimney/ heat exchange/air handling systems, and would rather build my own hanging brackets if that was Ok. She said that I shouldn't do that because then the brackets weren't U.L. listed and I could have problems if ever there was a fire. After I looked at the price of all that junk I went with masonary. I sold the pipe that I had and it more than payed for all my material.

Good luck

Beautiful location.
I guess a good question for you would be, can you get wood easily/cheaply?

If yes, you would be smart to get a setup in there that will heat the whole house all winter.

If not, maybe just replace the chimmeny, and enjoy the views.

Wow, nice view

Thanx for the advice vibes. Although the flue pipe chimneys are expensive having a masonry chimney built would be cost prohibitive around here (and finding a good mason would be pretty tough as well). I think a properly installed/contructed flue type stainless chimney will last quite a while at this site. Moisture isn't a concern (fairly dry climate) although winds are and from the looks of it, the existing chimney may have been blown over (dents on the side and it doesn't have any supports; also notice the amount of sealant....that chimney has been stood back up).

Latest posts

Back