should I replace this stove and chimney?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful location.
I guess a good question for you would be, can you get wood easily/cheaply?

If yes, you would be smart to get a setup in there that will heat the whole house all winter.

If not, maybe just replace the chimmeny, and enjoy the views.

Wow, nice view

I can get fire wood from the nearby (so cost of gas isn't an issue) Gallatin National Forest for $6.25/cord - gathering and cutting it myself.

I've been told the Blaze King Princess model would heat much of the space in this house (probably not the garage or far away rooms but I'll be installing some vents in the walls and floors (to bring heat up stairs) to help). The attached pic shows the whole house better....some of the rooms on the left are quite far from the stove (the house has forced air propane and electric baseboards which I'll use for backup).

I can get fire wood from the nearby (so cost of gas isn't an issue) Gallatin National Forest for $6.25/cord - gathering and cutting it myself.

I've been told the Blaze King Princess model would heat much of the space in this house (probably not the garage or far away rooms but I'll be installing some vents in the walls and floors (to bring heat up stairs) to help). The attached pic shows the whole house better....some of the rooms on the left are quite far from the stove (the house has forced air propane and electric baseboards which I'll use for backup).

As I said, awesome local! Can't believe the previous owners didn't plant some wind-breaks/hedgerows etc. though, kinda exposed and barren lookin' homestead but I see much potential. Strategically placed closing floor vents will allow you to take advantage of natural convectional currents and save on stuff like fans and base4board usage *shudder*, (ie. you may only need a single one in a floor level corner somewhere above the fireplace/stove to pump cooled air back around the stove and begin the cycle again, I'd consider a hepa-filter type thingy set-up to purge the dust before the air gets back to the heatsource, just a thought). I'm curious as to whether there is a more logical central location for your stove as it seems you intend to re-roof/re-chimney anyhow, something to consider.

And a big thanks from all us dial-uppers for excellent re-sizing of your pics, kudos!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back