Show me your Woodshed designs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just built a scale model as a clubhouse for the kids. Weekend project turned into six. I have an overbuilding problem. I scrounged most of the materials which added time. I'd like to do something like Polish Hammer for the woodshed.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
We just pulled this one out of the shop today. Its an 8x20 firewood storage shed with a 4' storage spot for the owners dog. The best part of the deal is not only did he buy the shed from us, after I deliver it tomorrow, I have 2 full cords of oak I get to deliver to him as well.

View attachment 604473 View attachment 604475 View attachment 604476 View attachment 604481

I've seen many woodsheds like this one while looking around this thread, and I am going to but my two cents in. I wouldnt use a shed like this, due to the fact that the only way air can touch the wood is the front. I like a rack design like mine because it has so much air space for air to blow and dry the wood. Dont get me wrong, its a nice shed. But, I opt for as much room for air and sun to get to the wood as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eebe52352c681a47a254f201c9711ea4.jpg
e9039a5045c966fe5a5bccee8bba0a9e.jpg

I've seen many woodsheds like this one while looking around this thread, and I am going to but my two cents in. I wouldnt use a shed like this, due to the fact that the only way air can touch the wood is the front. I like a rack design like mine because it has so much air space for air to blow and dry the wood. Dont get me wrong, its a nice shed. But, I opt for as much room for air and sun to get to the wood as possible.

If I was putting wet wood in there I would agree. This customer is buying seasoned wood from us so he just needs to keep it dry until he burns it. We stack it up out in the sun and weather for 9 months before he stacks it in his shed.

My wood shed has an appearance these days similar to that of the Mrs., they're both bulging at the bottom. Far from a critical issue but I believe next time I fill the shed I will cross stack ends to try to take some pressure off. Worse case I can add another post in the center.

IMG_20171009_102352210.jpg

IMG_20171009_102319062_HDR.jpg

Heres mine, built this last year. Still not 100% finished actually... I need to close in the gable end on the far side like I did on this visible side (cant see the far side unless you're around back so I just keep putting it off) as well as install the last 4' of ridge cap. Im also planning to install 2x6 strips along the back wall so I stack the wood against it without having to build a wall out of the firewood to stack against. Lastly Im going to wire in 3-4 nice bright lights underneath the shed that work off of the light switch on the boiler. All in due time...

enhance

I have two of these - 20x12x7 Holds about 13 cords or so when full - I used heavy welded wire animal pen stuff on the sides to let the air flow. simple - cheap to build. not pretty but you can't see it from the house. I use a tractor to load 1/2 cord in a box at a clip and put it in the garage. IMG_2538.JPG

EPSON391.JPG

I wanted something that would last and would basically be hidden and not look out of place if you will. I wanted enough storage for a heating season and no bug issues so I used concrete.

EPSON395.JPG

Did a monolithic pour for the floor.

EPSON401.JPG

Laid block and filled the cores with rebar and concrete.

EPSON419.JPG

Cathedral trusses so I can lift the boiler out if I need to change. 2x4 strips are to attach metal siding to the outside.

EPSON458.JPG

Building sits up for no moisture issues and big door height and width is so a pickup can back in with tailgate down and it's a walk in the bed deal.

MVC-002S_1.JPG

Makes loading pretty easy.

MVC-007S_26.JPG

Or real easy.

MVC-006S_2.JPG

Stacking this full is not the norm but was doing a woods clean up of dead stuff and one less handling.

MVC-017S_2.JPG

15 years since finished and do not regret it. You can move the wood in for the season in decent weather, it then stays dry, I'm out of the weather loading and no BTU's wasted burning off moisture.

Latest posts

Back