Sick or Dying Dawn Redwood in Oklahoma.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbhow

Reaction score
I planted a beautiful, healthy dawn redwood about 6 weeks ago. It has a 4" trunk and is probably about 12' tall. I had no problems for a month. A week ago I noticed the leafs started looking fatigued and over the course of a week the began to dry up, now 100% of the leafs are dead and crunchy, it looks completely dead. They didn't turn brown like i've seen before, they didn't fall off, they yellowed and dried up.

I live in northeast Oklahoma, at the time of planting the temperatures were lower than normal and uncommonly rainy. When the tree started going down hill the temperatures abruptly spiked into the high 90's and the tree bears the full brunt of a hot western setting sun. I don't think under watering was ever an issue, I was pretty vigilant the entire time. I may have overwatered on occasion but this doesn't seem like a result of overwatering.

Attached are before & afters.

What gives me hope is the small new growth branches are still green underneath and I have noticed small green buds at the base of the dead leaf stocks within the past day.

Is this common? I'm thinking it underwent shock because it was transplanted and experienced a temperature swing. Will it come back & is there anything I need to do differently?

Attachments

• IMG_6747.JPG
    IMG_6747.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7031.JPG
    IMG_7031.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 32
Give it a chance, we plant these trees bare root in the early spring with very few issues. They do need well drained soils, over watering is a problem in heavy soil. I suppose you do understand the size potential of this tree at maturity?

Give it a chance, we plant these trees bare root in the early spring with very few issues. They do need well drained soils, over watering is a problem in heavy soil. I suppose you do understand the size potential of this tree at maturity?

Thanks for your reply. I do understand the size potential. It was planted with the burlap on the root ball and the soil in my yard has a lot of clay in it, is it possible that over watering is the cause of the problem?

It is possible, excessive watering in clay soil can lead to anaerobic conditions suffocating roots. Hopefully no organics were added to the planting hole. The burlap should have been removed. Wouldn't hurt to dig a test hole down the side of the root ball & smell for that toxic anaerobic odor.

Latest posts

Back