Sick Walnut Tree - Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David R.

Reaction score
I have a sick walnut tree with 1/4' - 1/2' holes being drilled into the bark. Anyone have an idea what is it? I am located in northern California, Trinity County, inland at about 2300 fee elevation; pine forest. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 12
They appear to be sapsucker holes. The birds are drilling so the tree will leak sap, which the birds then eat (along with insects that get trapped in the sap).

You can protect the tree to prevent further drilling. Not much to do with the holes drilled now.

They appear to be sapsucker holes. The birds are drilling so the tree will leak sap, which the birds then eat (along with insects that get trapped in the sap).

You can protect the tree to prevent further drilling. Not much to do with the holes drilled now.

Great. Thank you. What are the best ways to protect the tree in the future? Is this more of a seasonal thing or will be on-going year round?

The only treatment I've seen is mechanical. Wrap the vulnerable portion of the tree in hardware cloth to act as a barrier for the birds to peck at the tree. If you do a google search, you'll find other options.

Back