Sick Willow tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leanne

Reaction score
I have a sick willow tree .. it is 10 or 12 years old.. and about 50 percent of the inside of its base has rotted away.. the tree looks fantastis otherwise.. it has lots of new leaves and is greener than ever. I only discovered this today .. when I was cleaningout the decayed wood from the centre it came out looking like paper bark ( i.i soft layers ) .. it has some strange grows around the base.. and on a few of its roots..

is it likely to be caused by some kind of fungus.. and can we save it and if so what do we need to use to do this.. the hole in the base of the centre of the tree is probably as big a football.... any suggestions please.. it is a gorgeous tree.. and i am bewildered that it looks so healthy .. when the base of it makes it appear as if it is gravely ill... thanks so much Leanne

Welcome Leanne and Goshawk for non arborist your on the money good call. Leanne if you can post a picture it will help others who in time will let you know. A full tree with its environment and trunk shot please.

Ahh you may need to search for, how to post pictures and follow the prompts.

... i am bewildered that it looks so healthy .. when the base of it makes it appear as if it is gravely ill..
Leanne, you are looking at two separate systems. The structural (inner, old) part of the tree and the growing (outer, new) tree are distinct, hence the bewilderment, which is common.

Andrew cowan did a great job describing this in the last arbor age mag there in AU

:clap:

you could cut it down and cut it up for firewood

I have a sick willow tree .. it is 10 or 12 years old.. and about 50 percent of the inside of its base has rotted away.. the tree looks fantastis otherwise.. it has lots of new leaves and is greener than ever. I only discovered this today .. when I was cleaningout the decayed wood from the centre it came out looking like paper bark ( i.i soft layers ) .. it has some strange grows around the base.. and on a few of its roots..

is it likely to be caused by some kind of fungus.. and can we save it and if so what do we need to use to do this.. the hole in the base of the centre of the tree is probably as big a football.... any suggestions please.. it is a gorgeous tree.. and i am bewildered that it looks so healthy .. when the base of it makes it appear as if it is gravely ill... thanks so much Leanne

you could cut it down and cut it up for firewood

There a lot of pioneering research being done regards control of decay in trees a lot has been learn't from ornamental plant care so thanks. Trees left alone, generally do a great job lookin after them selfs. Determine a course of action depends on what the owner needs are. As described a 12 year old decayed willow, hmm I'd say not a great future so sox and replant. Leanne what say you?

http://bugs.bio.usyd.edu.au/learnin...yProduction/BiologicalControl/pathogens.shtml

http://esvc000798.wic004ty.server-web.com/articles/1/article1.htm

Back