Signs of a bad clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the carb adjusted pretty good (I think!) I have used my tac also to verify my settigns...I am running it a bit rich....Tonight I will see if I can get some numbers up here from the degree wheel

Checking in to see how you are making out. I see that you said you used your tach. That has been ported? Depending on how aggressive the port job was, you won't be able to set that saw up according to manufacturing specs, your numbers at WOT will be a lot higher with a good port job. As long as you kept OEM or OEM replacement parts for the rebuild and you haven't removed the base gasket, then your timing numbers should be fine assuming that if you removed the flywheel you put it back lined up with the keyway the way it came off.

So my exhaust is 104 ATDC and my intake is 68 BTDC.......I think my intake is to high......Question....whenyour looking on the exhaust side and for the piston to just clear the top of the port...being as top of the port is concave..do you wait until you see the whole top of the piston? or just until you start to see the corners of it?? confusing I'm sure!! take a look at my pic, maybe that will help.... View attachment 220358View attachment 220359

That's not bad port work. Your squish looks like it can be lowered, maybe make a new base gasket out of brass shim stock or a beer can. Amazing how much power is gained from doing that. Not sure on that saw, but I think you can get away with 0.017 squish and still be ok. Hopefully someone brighter than me can chime in for you, I'm just throwing ideas at you, that helps me sometimes.

Ok...so today I decides to get rid of the base gasket.....Squish was at .017....too tight for me......I have some aluminum shim stock sheets around, so I cut one down for it an squish is @ .021..Better! I checked compression and its now @ 165psi! Pulled a vacumn on it and it held. Put it back together and It ran much better....not like my Husky 254 though! I think thats what I keep comparing it to. My chain is sharp but its not cuting like it should...Its not pulling chips like it should...more like making sawdust! View attachment 220775

Ok...so today I decides to get rid of the base gasket.....Squish was at .017....too tight for me......I have some aluminum shim stock sheets around, so I cut one down for it an squish is @ .021..Better! I checked compression and its now @ 165psi! Pulled a vacumn on it and it held. Put it back together and It ran much better....not like my Husky 254 though! I think thats what I keep comparing it to. My chain is sharp but its not cuting like it should...Its not pulling chips like it should...more like making sawdust! View attachment 220775

That's good work, its amazing what lowering the jug will do at those tiny increments. Saws don't take major modifications to give more power. Great work.

..Got to do some cutting today and used the 028 to cut up some sugar maple that was 16" diameter. The saw really is lacking in the torque dept! So bad in fact that the chips got clogged up in the sidecover and stalled the clutch out!! I tried to clear it out and the chain wouldn't even move, so I had to take the cover off and clean it out, I had to finish up some cutting, so as long as I didnt take a full cut, it was alright, but still wondering who stole my torque? WIth cold psi @ 165, I would think torque would not be an issue The exhaust port is @ 104*, thinking of raising it some more. My carb is the WT 194. I will try and make a vid tommorow to post

..Sorry I should have mentioned that I have sharpened the blade since last posted....It was pulling some nice big chips when it was used yesterday..Big enough that it clogged that sidecover up.

..Got to do some cutting today and used the 028 to cut up some sugar maple that was 16" diameter. The saw really is lacking in the torque dept! So bad in fact that the chips got clogged up in the sidecover and stalled the clutch out!! I tried to clear it out and the chain wouldn't even move, so I had to take the cover off and clean it out, I had to finish up some cutting, so as long as I didnt take a full cut, it was alright, but still wondering who stole my torque? WIth cold psi @ 165, I would think torque would not be an issue The exhaust port is @ 104*, thinking of raising it some more. My carb is the WT 194. I will try and make a vid tommorow to post

Fish and Wolf have a good idea about checking the ignition out. Check your compression with that thing hot after you lose it. Maybe you are over heating a tad? I think bad ignition will or bad ignition timing will cause some of those issues as well. You need to get the timing specs for that saw if you are going to be checking it with a degree wheel like you have been so you have something to compare it too.

Fish..Wish KY was a little closer!! I'm sure you'd figure this one out!! Actually this is a newer 028..no points...i even went as far as checking the air gap. Good god! Wish it did have points now!, I'll check hot psi in the morning!! Ah yes...the ONE joy of being unemployed!!

Fish..Wish KY was a little closer!! I'm sure you'd figure this one out!! Actually this is a newer 028..no points...i even went as far as checking the air gap. Good god! Wish it did have points now!, I'll check hot psi in the morning!! Ah yes...the ONE joy of being unemployed!!

Did you try a fresh plug?

Ok....Cold psi is 155, once I got it hot, I checked it and it was @ 135psi. Here is my video I took this morning cutting up some maple. thechain is throwing plenty of chips, I just think the saw should be strong enough to clear those chips without stalling out. I don't normally giev the saw throttle when its jammed up, I'm doing it for the video.....[video=youtube;Arz05EFUP3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arz05EFUP3E&context=C3aac78fADOEgsToPDskK0Tlj8Idhy4tscPjog1z8z[/video]

Last edited:
Take off the bar/chain and run it and look at your oil flow.

Also put up some pics of the sprocket and bottom end of the chain.

Ok....Cold psi is 155, once I got it hot, I checked it and it was @ 135psi. Here is my video I took this morning cutting up some maple. thechain is throwing plenty of chips, I just think the saw should be strong enough to clear those chips without stalling out. I don't normally giev the saw throttle when its jammed up, I'm doing it for the video.....[video=youtube;Arz05EFUP3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arz05EFUP3E&context=C3aac78fADOEgsToPDskK0Tlj8Idhy4tscPjog1z8z[/video]

Maybe it's just me, but that chain sounds like it's pretty tight. Have you tried loosening it up a bit? What does it look like when you take the cover off?

Maybe it's just video quality or speaker quality, but it sounds way rich to me?

Back