silver bullet "wedge" ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there a "silver bullet" wedge or mall that makes splitting 12" diameter and larger twisted grain wood any quicker/easier? When the mall can't touch it, and a regular wedge won't do it, other than sawing partially through the end and mauling it, is there anything (short of a hydraulic splitter) that you guys recommend. Or are those "wood grenades", 4 point cross wedges, and such all just gimmicks?

Thanks Bob

make your life a little easier;if it doesn't start to split after a couple whacks I just lay 'em on their side and slice 'em with the saw. then the halves usually can be split by hand

Well I don't recomend it but the black powder method could come in handy here. heheheheheh

After a couple of wacks, if it don't co-operate, I toss it into the 'hydraulic splitter' pile.

what Gorgdie said. It's a bit like baseball for me. Two goes with a 6lb maul, if no joy, one with the allsteel monster. Three strikes and yer into the splitter pile.:clap:

I have a "twist" wedge I bought from Harbor Freight. It works better than the regular wedge on the more stubborn pieces.

If your lookin for "silver bullets" its time to start scouring the swap sheets for a hydraulic. I picked one up for $200. It needed alot of work, but there is no sense wasting all that energy swinging a maul when it can be applied to lifting a beer.

Latest posts

Back