Silver Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewJ

Reaction score
I need some help determining whether a large Silver Maple tree has seen it's last days. I recently found the tree was infested with ants and that most of the bark on one side of the tree was dead. The trunk itself also looks dead below the bark. The bark on the opposite side looks good and is firmly attached. Last night with no wind of any kind a 'healthy' looking branch 6-8 " in diameter just fell off - green leaves were all over it. Attached is a picture of the tree with the missing bark. The tree also has multiple dead 'branches' 4-5" diameter 10' in length located in upper middle part of the canopy. There are some dead leaves but the canopy has lots of green leaves also. Please let me know if there is some fertilizer that the tree could benefit from of if the tree is passed saving.
Thank You

Looks like the tree has seen it's better days. Many factors to consider including risk to people/property. I see your child(ren) play under the tree a lot.
I would recommend getting a certified arborist out to evaluate whether the tree should be trimmed or removed. The picture shows just enough to make me want to look a lot closer. You can find all the certified arborists in your area from this site.
http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/
The 3rd link on the right side will take you to the 'find an arborist in your area' page.

that tree definately is a hazard tree since you have children that play under the tree. silver maples are prone to breakage in high winds even when solid. if is was a sound tree is might be able to be cabled , but i would say with the amount of decay at the base of the tree that is will definately fail . definately have a certified arborist evaulate it for you soon . it looks unsafe to me. john

Looking at the condition at the base of the tree, I would say it might be too unsafe to climb to cable it. I agree with the previous replys and would have to say that that tree is a definite hazard.

Since the dieback goes from the roots and rotates up around the trunk, I too would recomend having the it removed in the near futur.

Not being able to touch it we cannot tell the extent of the decay, but this does apear to be something you should not put off for a few years.

Thump the deadwood with a mallet to get an idea as to the condition of the wood. this is a prety basic thing, anyone can tell the differeance between sound wood and decay.

Shop around fopr people that sound experianced and are willing to talk to you.

Savings can be made in how willing you are to do some cleanup after their gone and how many divots they cna make in the turf.

Latest posts

Back