silvey prosharp users

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken, your explaination sounds right to me. I asked because it just seems a bit more comes off right hand rakers, but this could simply be an illusion of mine.
I use the weight of the motor only so the pressure is even for each raker.
I could never figure out the purpose of the crank. I simply advance the chain manualy and allow it to stop in front of the pawl.
I guess if there was any discrepancy betwwen left and right rakers it would not show up in subsequent grindings.
The stone has never become clogged up and never required dressing.
John

Gypo Logger said:
I guess if there was any discrepancy betwwen left and right rakers it would not show up in subsequent grindings.

John

John,

Any induced error may compound on subsequent grindings, or at the very least stay the same. It`s very unlikely that an uneven grind from side to side will cancel it self over time without making adjustments to either the grinder or your technique. If the delta is truly only .001, how much difference does it make on a work chain?

Russ

Ken IMO its just like every other peace of equipment the more you use it the more comfortable you get and the faster you get. Are you using .050 chain in the .063 grove?
Now I owned a swing arm good grinder was highly modded to get some wild angles. Most definitely faster than a pro sharp but not near as consistent I did like the fact that you could put a little english on it and make it do what you need to with the P S it goes the same place every time i will invest the extra time it takes be sides that it keeps me off the PC :D

I also use a Silvey depth grinder best investment I ever made simply love it wouldn't be with out it. I take it slow and have never had a problem with mine ever being off more than .001 ...but if you don't have the cutters all the same length it doesnt know that!

Eric. when yout alk about english with the swing arm what exactly are you refering to?
Lets say my goal is to produce decent woods chains for actual work(no GTGs, race chains, etc). What grinder will get it done the fastest and do the best job?

Back