Silvey Rasursharp II grinder redesign and rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the handle and hold the chain holder with the other hand and usually pull the chain together under the holder so the tooth doesn't raise up much when going across the stone.

I pull down on the chain, then index it.
I have to spend some time to adjust it.
For the dollars spent, shouldn't silvey come up with something a little better ?

I ground 4 chains (two heavily rocked) tonight. It's working well. The quick height adjustment was nice when I went from Stihl RSLK to a race chain made from a Carlton.

I'm taking the grinder to the Iowa GTG on Saturday since everyone wants to see one in action. I also threw a double bevel in my toolbag in case someone want to try their hand at filing. I know the first time I tried it I successfully made a chain slower then off the roll round ground. :laugh:

That is awesome!!

So how much it gonna cost me for an "Upgrade Kit"? :)

I'm going to abuse this one for a while and see how it holds up. My main concern is the bearings driving the grinding dust into the slide shaft and wearing it out. The shaft seams really soft and it's looking a little rough just on the top contacts where I let a lot of stone dust from truing the stone run under the bearings, repeatedly. I think eventually it will pucker the surface a bit such that it can push the junk out of it's way... like a rain tire.

I have a few more options I'd like to add. One would be a screw adjustment for the vertical, it's easy to move... but how much you moved it is another story. Also I could change the block a little so the mounting bolts are at the surface and not recessed making it easier to loosen them to adjust the vertical.

Depending on how much a CNC shop would charge to hack out the blocks I think It would be in the $150-250 range. If I went into production I would buy a rotary (wobble) broach to put an allen head in the eccentrics. Right now I just cut a slot in them with a little cutting wheel for a screw driver to turn the eccentric but it was a little hard to hold it with the screw driver and lock down the jam nut. I've been wanting one any way, they are really cool.
Internal and External Rotary Broaching - YouTube

A 37" RSLHK chain met a chunk of strap steel in a large cotton wood chunk on Saturday at the fall Iowa GTG. It did some damage to every cutter and some even had chunks of steel welded to them. It stopped producing chips but I think it actually held up better then what round ground would do. I think the top and side angle of the square ground give a little more strength to the cutter tip so in instances like this more of the cutter survives. But on the other hand, it is a PITA to grind back rocked chain on a square grinder.

Here is a cutter with a chunk of steel still on it.
DamagedChain.jpg

Some of the other cutters had worse damage and I ended up taking a pretty large bite off the chain.
FreshGroundChain.jpg

I was still able to get the whole way around the chain taking that large amount off each cutter without truing the stone again. I think the easy sliding motion and stable chain holding of the new slide reduced the stone wear.

Looks good! I'm also not a fan of having to take big chunks from all the cutters, lots of beak then.
Now you have some gullet filing time ahead of you,about the same amount of time you could just take a safe edge 7/32 and sharpen a whole chain.
This whole square chisel stuff is finicky and time consuming, but when it's on, it works.

Question, I can do 5 chains without trueing a stone, all I get is a glaze mark from dirt or oil.Do you true a stone that often?

What stone are you using to get 5 chains to one dressing? I dress lightly from side to side when I'm using any stone.

Bravo sir!! Very nice design and work especially by having to use a drill press for a mill, been there before and hope to never go back. It's nice to see an engineer that can/will actually build the things that they design :good: :good:

I don't have a square grinder, no less square chain, but I do appreciate the talent that went into the design and implementation of the holder.

And using "medieval" tools to accomplish the task is icing on the cake!!

You :rock:

What stone are you using to get 5 chains to one dressing? I dress lightly from side to side when I'm using any stone.

I'm with mdavlee! I use a salmon wheel and I can grind a 20" without dressing, but the rest I dress in between sides. You'll notice the few corner grind marks on the inside of the cutter are hard to see. Maybe if it's a slight touch up I can get away without dressing but this is Iowa and I can't dull a cutter without hitting iron or rock first.

Bravo sir!! Very nice design and work especially by having to use a drill press for a mill, been there before and hope to never go back. It's nice to see an engineer that can/will actually build the things that they design :good: :good:

<-- Will buy tooling for mill time!

Turned out nice. I would consider the upgrade if mine starts getting sloppy.
I also saw the youtube video you put up on it. Works real nice.

Tried to pm you but it won't let me. Iam wanting to purchase this mod for my razursharp

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk 2

Back