Silvey Swingarm Setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok fellas ,

Well I got the grinder just put new stone on it , and started to dress it problem is I have no clue as to how to do it properly again Im new to all this . There is one flat dresser and one pointed how do I know which to use and in what sequence and when to stop , pretty much how to go about dressing the wheel period ?

I tried grinding a few cutters on a new round ground chain with it as it is now , but it does not look anywhere near what it should , although it's sharp the angles are way off.. Need some serious help guys please ??

Also about adjustment on the stops for the chain holder , how are these supposed to be set , I have the side stop set so the working corner of the cutter is right at the corner of the wheel , and the "pawl " adjuster or chainstop set so the tooth is just hitting the top of the wheel ..

Can someone please help me out with all this .. I would appreciate any and all help

Thanks a ton Rob

Rob,
The easiest way I know to set a grinder. Is take a factory chain mark the cutter face with marker and start adjusting the stops until you have just dusted the cutter face and matched the angles. Then start playing with diffrent angles till you feel it cuts better than factory. It always seems like a slow process, but has given me the best finish. A lot of times I just spin the wheel by hand to not remove the marker to quick. Helps make it easier to match the angles and understand what each adjustment does.

Thanks Reddog ..sounds like a good idea , my biggest problem right now is getting the wheel dressed properly . I read somewhere that one dresser is for the top of the wheel and the other is for the side ? I pretty much need to be set straight on how to set the dressers and get the wheel correct ..

Later Rob

I've already read and printed out all the info on square grinding from Madsens , my problem is I dont know how to set the dressers , top , side .. etc..What position do they go ?? One dresser is pointed and the other is flat ?

Thanks Rob

Latest posts

Back