Simple carb adjust tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roofgunner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Husky 455 in April of 09, and a dealer that isn't too good, so I gave up on him. I found a way to make a tool to adjust the hi/lo on the carb. This has been the only thing the saw has needed but due to temp/weather changes it's nice to be able to tweak it for the conditions. I heard here the dealer won't sell you the tool due to threats from the E P A, etc. Here's what to do: Spend a buck or two and get some Dutch Boy multi-purpose brushes #98982. They are made from tubes that are the perfect size to push the limiter caps in. (about .22 caliber) I used a Dremel tool w/cutoff disc to cut the tube (after I removed the brush and expanded the tube with a taper punch) to trim the tube to the right length to put the screw driver through the tube to make the necessary adjustment. The only downside with this is that you make have to have someone hold the trigger wide open for the high adjustment. But it's cheap and it works.

Adjusting tool

My 445 had similar issues that you mentioned.My dealer was reluctant to order the tool required. I simply told him to order it or I would take my business someplace else.Had the tool the next week, Ken

If you have the Dremel tool out, you could just cut slots in the jets and use a normal slotted screwdriver.

Utah School of Tuning

:msp_angry:Murph,
(1) Sorry I don't know what the Utah School of Tuning is. (2) The reason it was necessary is due to governmental interference with the design of a chainsaw. All the saw needs is accessible Hi/LO adjustment screws so the owner can re-adjust as needed to compensate for altitude, temp, gas/oil mixture, saw break-in points, etc. But, the maker is forced, to install devices to thwart this because the elite think we, the saw owners are stupid. My guess is that if they had their way, chainsaws would be illegal to own. Therefore, out of frustration, and not to spend more money, I figured a way that cost me nothing, but a few minutes of time, a way around the obstacle they put before me so I could get the saw to run well. Now as to having someone aid in setting the High screw, my point was that since the tube needs to be pushed in to disengage the governmental designed device to prevent "tampering", so that the high speed screw can be adjusted under a full throttle run, the point is that it's better to be safe than sorry when doing this. Now, maybe I could buy the specially designed device to adjust the carb. For me that adds insult to injury. I've spent money on the saw for a device that makes it harder for me to deal with, and now I don't like spending more money on a device that I need to thwart the device I've spent money on that's worthless. The government is in my gun cabinet, my car, my house, my land, and now they are in my chainsaw box and generally I'm pissed off. And, I may be mistaken, but I believe the state of Utah has passed some laws, like Montana has, that have told the Feds to go take a hike. The problem is the FEDS need tuned up. I hope my saw never runs like the budget.

I used the same trick on a Poulan saw. Slit the ends of the two adjustable needles so I could use a screwdriver.

:msp_angry:Murph,
(1) Sorry I don't know what the Utah School of Tuning is. (2) The reason it was necessary is due to governmental interference with the design of a chainsaw. All the saw needs is accessible Hi/LO adjustment screws so the owner can re-adjust as needed to compensate for altitude, temp, gas/oil mixture, saw break-in points, etc. But, the maker is forced, to install devices to thwart this because the elite think we, the saw owners are stupid. My guess is that if they had their way, chainsaws would be illegal to own. Therefore, out of frustration, and not to spend more money, I figured a way that cost me nothing, but a few minutes of time, a way around the obstacle they put before me so I could get the saw to run well. Now as to having someone aid in setting the High screw, my point was that since the tube needs to be pushed in to disengage the governmental designed device to prevent "tampering", so that the high speed screw can be adjusted under a full throttle run, the point is that it's better to be safe than sorry when doing this. Now, maybe I could buy the specially designed device to adjust the carb. For me that adds insult to injury. I've spent money on the saw for a device that makes it harder for me to deal with, and now I don't like spending more money on a device that I need to thwart the device I've spent money on that's worthless. The government is in my gun cabinet, my car, my house, my land, and now they are in my chainsaw box and generally I'm pissed off. And, I may be mistaken, but I believe the state of Utah has passed some laws, like Montana has, that have told the Feds to go take a hike. The problem is the FEDS need tuned up. I hope my saw never runs like the budget.

I agree somewhat, but this has been beat to death here. I bought several of the tools for a measly little $6 each shipped to my door.

The RIGHT tool as well. It works like a charm and just like it is supposed to.

Redneck this, slot that, do whatever you want to do. :laugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back