Simple method to manage the thow line when you don't have a thow line cube.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyoman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I really find this handy as I can take the throwline and throwbag, put them in my pocket and find trees when I'm out walking or in the park to practice with.
I like the, coil over the pinky and thumb, method of storing my thowline when I don't have a cube to flake the line in, or when I am in the tree using 30 to 60 feet of line. I have always found it difficult to flake the line into a throw mug.
This works for uncoiling the line without getting tangles.

Interesting.
Even carefully coiled garden hoses and electrical cords get the better of me in the uncoiling, but I feel a glimmer of hope.

Interesting.
Even carefully coiled garden hoses and electrical cords get the better of me in the uncoiling, but I feel a glimmer of hope.

quote]

Hey Dave,
it would take some pretty big fingers to fix the garden hose but I feel your pain. I went through the same thing. I used to take a throw line and weight and put it my pocket and I would always end up with a tangle or it would take me forever to uncoiling it. Today I was out for a walk, went to a park, I had jammed the line in my pocket with the weight, un coiled 180' several times without a tangle. it works really well too for getting that line in the throw line mug.

Will give your throw line coiling / uncoiling method a try.
Hey Richard - the Nov/Dec Ontario Arborist featured an article on "the tree that time forgot" Ginkgo biloba! ;)

I tell ya tho, for as cheap as those cubes are, not sure why ya wouldn't have one! Speaking on throw lines, lately I have mastered the art of one shot one kill, hitting the perfect TIP on the first shot, then pulling it back out and getting it tangled trying to get it just right! Slick lines can make ya go crazy!

I've had some bad cube tangles! Line flaked in nice, cube folded up and put away, go to use it a couple days/week later.....sadness. Happened more than once. (The sadness part got worse each time).
I became cubephobic and had to stop using it.

I tell ya tho, for as cheap as those cubes are, not sure why ya wouldn't have one! Speaking on throw lines, lately I have mastered the art of one shot one kill, hitting the perfect TIP on the first shot, then pulling it back out and getting it tangled trying to get it just right! Slick lines can make ya go crazy!

Well sir, not being a full time arborist I have to take every opportunity to practice and stay proficient. This means taking a throw line and couple of weights with me in my pocket and walking to a park and my pocket isn't big enough for that cube too. Also I have more throw lines than cubes and often swap out lines depending on what I need. I do buy the cheaper cubes and find the corners can wear out fast so I coat the corners with WhipIt when the cube is new and it works and lasts just as well as the expensive cubes. I see those expensive white cubes that cost about a 100 bucks at the compititions, what is the advantage to those?

Not sure, my little cheapy blues are perfect, no way I would buy one of those. But a lot of that stuff is for show, at those competitions. "look at me". I love watching them and some of those guys are amazing. HOWEVER! I want to see them do it on a pin oak that has not been touched in 20 years, that does not have perfect TIPs and perfect structure.

The more expensive cubes are more resistant to snags that are always present on job sites. Regarding tangle-free deployment, it's important to make sure that the Zing it line is spread out over the floor of the cube when it is folded tight. Mine never tangles. I carry a spare for when the weight gets stuck in a crotch.

3 gallon bucket works for me. I use a bucket organizer for Extra weights and toss my ascenders, extra prussics, etc. into a bag that goes in the bucket on top of my throw line. You would think that the line would get tangled with the bag in there but I think it keeps the line from moving around when loading, unloading and driving around in the truck. I dont care if it takes up more room/is bulkey. Im the primary limb walker/spurless climber in the company so they are used to me needing extra space for all the extra gear I have to haul.

Cool video. Wish I had half of the free time it appears you have, I would play with stuff like that too. I still suck at throwing, but refuse to buy a big shot until I master it. Hard headed I suppose. I use one of those portable fold up garbage cans for my line. They cost about $10 and I have used it for over 2 years. I will admit when I pulled it out yesterday my line was tangled.

Cool video. Wish I had half of the free time it appears you have, I would play with stuff like that too. I still suck at throwing, but refuse to buy a big shot until I master it. Hard headed I suppose. I use one of those portable fold up garbage cans for my line. They cost about $10 and I have used it for over 2 years. I will admit when I pulled it out yesterday my line was tangled.
I don't have ANY free time, it seems to get filled up with **** like this ;-)

Latest posts

Back