Simple upgrades on 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, just bought a new 661. Just wondering if its worth putting a west coast bark box and big air filter on it. Will it make much difference. Im not keen on getting it ported just yet

I bought a DP muffler from hyway for my G660. I gutted it, and opened up the existing ports as much as the screens would allow. The saw runs a lot better now IMHO.
When I first got interested in saw forums I was excited about ported saws. I have 8 that are ported. But after all the hoopla has wore off cutting 3 seconds faster no longer thrills me. but that is just me.

When I first got interested in saw forums I was excited about ported saws. I have 8 that are ported. But after all the hoopla has wore off cutting 3 seconds faster no longer thrills me. but that is just me.
That makes sense, and I would tend to agree. Many times I've thought about having something ported, but I just can't justify the cost for the gains I would get on my saws. Muffler mods, on the other hand, are relatively inexpensive and easy to do. Same for a better air filter. Taking a few seconds off a cut is hard to spend very much money on, but having a saw that literally feels better to run is worth spending a few dollars on, especially when it means the saw runs cooler. That's just my opinion though. There are some people out there that are still content running an old stock 024, and more still that are perfectly happy with there old 025/MS250, both of which would drive me nuts if I had to use one as my primary saw. To each their own I guess.

That makes sense, and I would tend to agree. Many times I've thought about having something ported, but I just can't justify the cost for the gains I would get on my saws. Muffler mods, on the other hand, are relatively inexpensive and easy to do. Same for a better air filter. Taking a few seconds off a cut is hard to spend very much money on, but having a saw that literally feels better to run is worth spending a few dollars on, especially when it means the saw runs cooler. That's just my opinion though. There are some people out there that are still content running an old stock 024, and more still that are perfectly happy with there old 025/MS250, both of which would drive me nuts if I had to use one as my primary saw. To each their own I guess.
Lol. I have cut hundreds of cord of firewood with an MS250 and about a year ago I put a fully adjustable carb on it along with gutting the muffler and putting a little chunk of pipe pointed out at an angle on it and it woke that thing up something crazy !! I also have an 026 that has an MS260 air filter setup and a fairly gutted muffler along with a base gasket delete and it's a little beast. I still grab the MS250 first though.

On the 661 I'd say go Bark Box and MaxFlow filter setup and get ready to smile while wearing ear protection. I have always worn big ear muffs when cutting so the added noise didn't affect me that much at all. But muff modded saws are definitely louder. I did a Bark Box and an HD2 filter setup on my 066 and it seems to have woke it up a bit. Maybe it just seems that way because it's louder though :lol:

My first saw was an 025. I never did like that saw. Replaced it with an 024 which I liked better, but I needed something with a little more umph for what I was cutting. Now the bulk of my work is done with an 036, and my 026 picks up the majority of what's left.

I didn't realize the air filter on the 026 could be upgraded to one from a 261. I'll have to look into that. I really like running that saw because of its weight, but I normally grab the 036 because of the extra power. The 026 is fine as is, but anything I can do to help it out is normally both noticeable and appreciated.

My first saw was an 025. I never did like that saw. Replaced it with an 024 which I liked better, but I needed something with a little more umph for what I was cutting. Now the bulk of my work is done with an 036, and my 026 picks up the majority of what's left.

I didn't realize the air filter on the 026 could be upgraded to one from a 261. I'll have to look into that. I really like running that saw because of its weight, but I normally grab the 036 because of the extra power. The 026 is fine as is, but anything I can do to help it out is normally both noticeable and appreciated.

I would not mess with it until it is out of warranty. Reality is, it will have no effect other than in your head anyway.

Better stuff for these. From a retired logger out west that ports now days. Jason Egan

Air filter set up https://eganperformancesaws.com/products/air-filter-kit

spikes https://eganperformancesaws.com/products/egan-performance-felling-dawgs-spikes-for-stihl-500

straight shot muffler cover that dont fall apart like the other one offered out there. https://eganperformancesaws.com/products/egan-straight-shot-performance-chainsaw-muffler-661
I put the egan straight shot on my 660, and I swear it made all the difference!

The Bark Box or Straight Shot are a nice addition as well as an air filter system, especially if it's under warranty rather than porting.

They make a noticeable difference as well as some aftermarket dogs if you're planning on running a long bar.

Mad3400

Latest posts

Back