single rope climbing or classical method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter300

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a beginner and I am seeking advice on what method of climbing for tree care is best, the single rope technique or the classical method with split tail? I have heard that the SRT system does not offer the best mobility but I don't understand why. Thank you.

Another point in favor of traditional for a beginner is that SRT is much more complicated, and there are a lot more ways for something to go awry. Definitely learn the traditional method first!

Ummm, I like classical, but am considering trying the jazz method.....:monkey:

The cost of the equipment for the traditional double rope technique is cheaper which is also a plus. Other than the belt, rope, split tail kit, foot ascender, figure 8, lanyard, helmet, extra carabiner, what else might I need or may come in handy?

I am looking into the Petzl Vario Sit Work Saddle. It is reasonably priced, supposedly comfortable and provides good mobility.

As far as rope is concerned I will possibly go with the arborplex. The only drawback to it which I see is that it is not splicable.

I don't know what carabiners to go with as of yet.

I would appreciate any input you might have on this equipment. Thanks to all.

I use Arbormaster rope. I like how it wears over time and how it feels in the hand. I don't climb with gloves (old rock climbing habit), so subtle differences in rope feel make a huge difference over time. I also don't use a foot ascender (although I should sometime). I prefer to carry a few prussic loops, that can be used for multiple purposes, and a few webbing loops. I try not to carry much single purpose equipment, in order to lighten the overall load. I do use an "8". But again, I use it for multiple purposes like lowering limbs from above as well as lowering myself.

As far as entry techniques go you cant beat the traditional footlock on a doubled rope. all you need is a prussic and some practice and you'll be on your way up in a very efficient 1:1. then you'll have the equipment to turn it around and decend on the traditional 2:1.

I was taught that the 2:1 and 1:1 were relative to the amount of effort being used. If that is correct, then traditional climbing would be 2:1 since the crotch (or false crotch) acts as a pulley and the weight you are raising is twice what you are pulling down on the rope. Single rope climbing would be 1:1, since you are lifting the full load (your own weight) and the rope is acting as merely a "progress capture device". Am I seeing this wrong?

I was taught that the 2:1 and 1:1 were relative to the amount of effort being used. If that is correct, then traditional climbing would be 2:1 since the crotch (or false crotch) acts as a pulley and the weight you are raising is twice what you are pulling down on the rope. Single rope climbing would be 1:1, since you are lifting the full load (your own weight) and the rope is acting as merely a "progress capture device". Am I seeing this wrong?

you have it correct, but footlocking a doubled rope is a very efficient 1:1 method of ascent that can be achieved with a climbing line and $3 prussic.

For SRT you're looking at a special climbing line (static or semi-static, arborplex wont work) and ascenders (at least three of them) you'd be lucky to outfit yourself with SRT gear for under $300.

you mentioned you were looking into purchasing a petzl vario sit saddle.
if you are planning on getting any work done up there i would get something a little thicker.
that saddle is great but it tends to dig in on the side d rings while ascending.
just my experience, i figured i would tell you so you can adjust accordingly if need be.

The cost of the equipment for the traditional double rope technique is cheaper which is also a plus. Other than the belt, rope, split tail kit, foot ascender, figure 8, lanyard, helmet, extra carabiner, what else might I need or may come in handy?

I am looking into the Petzl Vario Sit Work Saddle. It is reasonably priced, supposedly comfortable and provides good mobility.

As far as rope is concerned I will possibly go with the arborplex. The only drawback to it which I see is that it is not splicable.

I don't know what carabiners to go with as of yet.

I would appreciate any input you might have on this equipment. Thanks to all.

I've been reading this thread and just realized you still haven't left the ground yet. I haven't posted because I am a beginner also, looking to pick up some tips myself. If you want a to get together for a demonstration I would try to help you out. All we need is a tree.

... For SRT you're looking at a special climbing line (static or semi-static, arborplex wont work) and ascenders (at least three of them) you'd be lucky to outfit yourself with SRT gear for under $300.

Oooops ! OTG, am I doing something I should not be doing? I made 2 sixty foot climbs SRT on Arborplex today. I'm using One (Right) CMI Ascender ($48), a CMI Rope Walker ($50,for backup), and a Pantin ($63). I used to descend on a Cardiac Arrester ($26) with a Blakes backup, but recently went high dollar and got a Large Petzl I'D. Like it a lot. Anyway, I was doing SRT very comfortably for less than $200 in extra equipment until I spent $170 for the I'D.

If there is a safety reason not to climb SRT on Arborplex I need to know about it.

For canopy access, if I can "Trunk Walk" my way up with a flip line, split tail, and Michoacan I prefer DdRT, but when poison ivy or ornamental vines (ex. confederate jasmine) cover the trunk, or when my project is way out on a live oak limb, SRT is definetly the way to go.

Last edited:
I am a beginner and I am seeking advice on what method of climbing for tree care is best, the single rope technique or the classical method with split tail? I have heard that the SRT system does not offer the best mobility but I don't understand why. Thank you.

I've been useing the same method of climbing for many years, just recently I went to a spit tail with a tender pulley, along with a 24braid 11mm climbing line.It takes a second to get use to but I swear by the split tail. The 24 braid rope is sweet also.(It does twist easily). I also just started useing a double rope foot lock ascending technique, Man I'll never use the single rope foot lock again if I can help it. Seems to me I use way less energy with the double rope foot lock. I also waited 15 years before switching from the suicide knot to a rope clamp lanyard system(wanted to be sure they were safe) I love it.Just my two cents

Fire ax I would have no problem w/srt on arborplex. However since its a dynamic rope meant to catch a fall while climbing, it may not be the most efficent due to stretch during srt. Its also a little fat compared to a 7/16 kernmantle which is a more common rope to use w/ascenders. Most ascenders are designed for rope up to 13mm which covers arborist 1/2 inch climbing rope. Safety is not an issue with your set up. The ascenders will cause some wear to the rope due to the teeth on the cams. Retire the rope when needed.
The I'D rocks!! Do a search for R.A.D.S system which will allow you to use an ascender with your I'd to ascend the rope while your I'D is installed.

Corey

The set up in the sherrill catalog works great.

Corey

2007 Master Catalog? What page? Somehow I'm not finding it. Also tried a RADS and R.A.D.S. search on their web site.

Anyway, tried it with what I have. Man, have I got the right concept here? Works like a 3 part line, almost 3:1 mechanical advantage (less friction, which aint much) the way I rigged it. Powerful, but SLOW ! Loose the speed of 1:1 SRT. Doesn't take much muscel to get a few inches, but it took a lot of reps to make 60 feet.

I made my best progress by taking off the pantin, shoving the ascender up the rope as far as I could reach, and working the tail hand over hand. Easy pulls, but it sure took a bunch of them.

I did enjoy the simplicity and security though, and it was a pleasure not having to rig off of the ascender and rig on to the descender.

Back