Single trip tree care/removal and stump unit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeFrogTC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am planning a tree service vehicle capable of doing a complete job in a single visit from removal to stump grind and clean up. First off a bit of history on why I am trying to make this work, we do a lot of small tree pruning and removals in new subdivisions in a rapidly growing city so in this case the biggest is not allways the best.

I am looking at an Isuzu NQR crew cab with 14' worth of useable working space. I have heard many many good things about these trucks and believe the investment to be worthwhile The GVW (19 050lbs) on this is much lower then our Chev c5500 so putting a 14' chip body is impossible so is towing our bigger chipper. Im looking into a 10' knapehide body and a tool cage with ramp doors between the chip box and the cab, sort of where the boom rig would mount on a bucket truck. In the cage goes a husky/bluebird stump grinder(250lbs) clean up and pole tools.

Im tiered of the time and travel costs attached to these jobs between quoting then showing up with a chip crew followed by the stump crew or having the stump crew load the brush in the truck only to chip at the shop or another jobsite. A 10' box seems kind of small but keep in mind so are the trees in question (at least for the next 10-15 years)

Any opinions or suggestions from people out there would be great, nothing has been finalized with the dealer or the manufacturer yet, when all is said and done the total investment would be about 80k with fully decaled equipped truck including the cost of the stump grinder and chipper which has been purchased and hopefully some new saws and pole pruners. The truck and custom box will be financed on the same lease payment

I got the idea from a tree removal company in the city that has modified his front bumper area to carry a small vermeer stump grinder. I feel sorry for the poor fella who eats this thing if a head on collision ever happens.

My buddy is talking about doing a one trip truck.....

Try calling Dylan at Forrester's (414) 779-8733 near Milwaukee, he's got some great ideas for that kind of setup.

Since its only a light grinder, you could look at putting an extendable drawbar on the chipper and a mount for the stumper to fit on. Its a pretty easy to make, although if you have a big chipper (12inch and above) you could work out a way to carry it in the hopper. I have a small boat winch that fits on the front on my stumper that allows me to load it solo without to much trouble.

A walk-behind will fit in the hopper on most bigger chippers. Just raise the feed wheel on the chipper and wedge the cutter wheel of the stump grinder under it. A bit inconvenient but ok every once in a while

The chipper is not big at all, if I was using the 14" I could practically chip the machine but its going be morbark's new 6"drum toy chipper with peanuts for horsepower so mounting on the chipper is definitely not an option, not on 10"wheels. And yes the grinder is super easy to load solo into the back of a pickup truck, we have loaded it into the back of the chip truck a few times as well but it takes space and its awkward to load when the chipper is hooked up. Another reason for the cage with ramp doors is to also store other loose items like buckets and tarps because they wont fit in the chute of the wannabe chipper. The small chipper you must be wondering why its to avoid excess wear and tear on the bigger unit ie. warm up the 115hp diesel for 10 mins only to chip for 30 seconds. Hmmm its legal to tow 2 trailers here mabe I should make a train truck :hmm3grin2orange:

If the grinder is just a small bluebird,couldn't you make a mount for it on the front of the truck?
Does the handlebar fold?

Somebody here did a real nice forrestry truck with a place on front for the skidsteer attachment.

Here it is

http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/151415.htm

attachment.php

My Ranger almost always tags behind the chip truck on jobs. It's a 4 cyl so it's great on gas. I have an ARE shell on it so I fit the saws, ropes, and my small stumper. It's also nice to send myself or my climber ahead on the next job while the groudies finish chipping and cleaning up. Way cheaper to buy a second truck than buy a new chip truck with all the bells and whistles (though trucks like Arbor Pro's are amazing!)

The 99' Ranger cost me less than 3 grand and it still looks pretty sharp. 20-25 mpg so it doesn't cost me too much to have

That Arbor Pro truck is exactly what I'm looking for, and thats what I am doing now is chasing the chip truck with either the F350 or the Ranger with a trailer its still a lot of trips. Buying another chip truck isnt an option we need the extra truck, I like the idea of that truck not having the Ipack toolbox kit it gives a lot more space for wood chips. As for dump runs we have many places to dump all over including our shop sometimes but its good to consider that cost as well. I'll check with the builder on monday to see if front bumper loading cant be an option. Wouldn't it be great if the grinder folded up like a lawnmower but it dosent. Thanks for the input its a huge purchase that I will either love or hate forever if its not done right I appreciate your wisdom. In all honesty I would probably end up chasing after the crews in the ranger anyways driving circles around them chasing more quotes or getting the next job started. Mostly this unit will be pruning or removing a lot of small and columnar trees especially the popular sweedish aspens which are starting to get bronze leaf disease so it should last a day or more before filling up depending on how hard I push.

Last edited:
That Arbor Pro truck is exactly what I'm looking for, and thats what I am doing now is chasing the chip truck with either the F350 or the Ranger with a trailer its still a lot of trips. Buying another chip truck isnt an option we need the extra truck, I like the idea of that truck not having the Ipack toolbox kit it gives a lot more space for wood chips. As for dump runs we have many places to dump all over including our shop sometimes but its good to consider that cost as well. I'll check with the builder on monday to see if front bumper loading cant be an option. Wouldn't it be great if the grinder folded up like a lawnmower but it dosent. Thanks for the input its a huge purchase that I will either love or hate forever if its not done right I appreciate your wisdom. In all honesty I would probably end up chasing after the crews in the ranger anyways driving circles around them chasing more quotes or getting the next job started. Mostly this unit will be pruning or removing a lot of small and columnar trees especially the popular sweedish aspens which are starting to get bronze leaf disease so it should last a day or more before filling up depending on how hard I push.

After one full season with the new chip truck, I couldn't be happier with the way it has performed. Been real easy loading the mini skid behind the cab of the truck and, when I have a few extra logs to carry away from a job (too big to go through the chipper), I sometimes use the front carry rack to tote them away and just put the mini skid grapple in the back of the chipper. Recently bought a stump grinder for the mini skid called a stump slayer. Intention is to carry it on the front carry rack when I have stumps to grind and don't want to make an extra trip with the sc252.

Lots of ways to minimize trips if one really wants/needs to. Just check with your state DOT regs to make sure the mods to your truck are legal. Mine are in SD but they might not be in Canada or in other US states.

AP

Glad to hear its working out for you, I am getting pretty stoked about the project unfortunately because of the cab-over design front mounting may not be an option but I will check it out its hard to say no to extra tool and cargo capacity especially when it has an impact on efficiency and productivity. Thanks for the heads up on laws etc. Bad idea to assume that if another guy does it anyone can. The outfitter should know this stuff he builds all of the city trucks.

Talked to a colleague in the biz thats been in it for 25+ years and he just got an ISUZU last year and regretted not getting them earlier on, 14'box and tows a BC1000 no problem. Its too bad they dont make one big enough to make into a decent bucket truck, buckets make it more like work and less like fun, matter of perspective anyway, probably wont be saying that 20 years from now.

... buckets make it more like work and less like fun, matter of perspective anyway, probably wont be saying that 20 years from now.

:msp_smile: yep. wait until you're 42 and your knees are shot. That bucket makes it more like fun and less like work...

Back