Skid loader logsplitter...on the cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's another skidloader logsplitter, it's relatively inexpensive, and slightly different than others out there.

I'm on dial up, and still loaded the video since the company seems to offer NO photos.

The first minute of video time will give you the jist of the unit.

OR

You can tie up the phone line for over two hours waiting for the whole video to load.

The Bobcat 763 they are using is a light grade machine, so if it works this well on this, then it should transfer to any entry level skid steer.

Hope you DIY'ers get some wheels turning, I can see the ear smoke already.:)

http://www.skidsteerlogsplitter.com/

Personally, I'd move the centerline of splitting farther off the beam to accomodate a 12" wedge and pushplate.

The wedge should be on the ram so the operator isn't chasing the wood. It would save time, fuel, tires, and my understanding is that skidloaders are thirsty machines.
.:cheers:

Last edited:
looks like it worked fine for what it is. seemed like he spent a lot of time on that second log just to split it in half. i think a regular log splitter would do the same thing in less time, although it would take 2 guys.

I'd be using in tandem with something like a supersplitter or a hydraulic splitter with single and fourway .

It would be good on 24"+ diam rounds, owb owners, even furnace owners, tree service-to-firewood type wood. Just need a deeper throat.

Seems like it would be easier and cleaner to just right it and load them stationary. If you screw around too much before or after the thaw it would make a huge mess to have to walk through picking up what's split. It would be nice on really big pieces.

You can buy a pretty nice regular splitter for $2100. Pretty pricey for what you are getting I would think someone with welding skills could build something like that for $500-$600.

I don't see any advantage that outweighs the mess. So you need to scatter the bucked sections around and then go round with something and pick them up to stack or pile them.

Good grief! How many miles does he have to drive to get a cord split? It looks like it is terribly inefficent with all the back and forth manuvering he has to do. Also, if you look at the video he is working on cement. If he was on dirt, it would be a huge mud bog after a while. Not trying to be a buzz kill, but this just doesn't look like a feasible way to produce much wood.

looks pretty inefficient to me. not to mention the dirty wood, the mess created by constantly turning the machine. operating costs are far higher than a regular splitter, and why put hours on a machine that costs more than a firewood processor?

Personally, I'd move the centerline of splitting farther off the beam to accomodate a 12" wedge and pushplate.

The wedge should be on the ram so the operator isn't chasing the wood. It would save time, fuel, tires, and my understanding is that skidloaders are thirsty machines.
.:cheers:

:agree2::agree2:You are right. It would be alot more efficient that way.

i have to agree with many of the others. I have a skid steer and unless you were working on anything but a huge concrete pad you would have a huge mess and wood packed with dirt and mud.

i have to agree with many of the others. I have a skid steer and unless you were working on anything but a huge concrete pad you would have a huge mess and wood packed with dirt and mud.

I actually have one that is similar with a 4 way wedge. I pick them up and put them in a pile and I don't get them very dirty. I only use it for the larger stuff though.
For anything under 2' diameter it is faster to do it by hand if it is oak.

I have a similar one

I have a similar one. They work a ton better on a bigger mashine. It's the most efficient on our t300 I've also run it on the s185. It can be very efficient one you get good at it. My dad proceces all his wood for his owb with it. He doesn't touch his wood till he throws it in the boiler. Everything gets done with the bobcat. Also we can now handle wood other people can't touch. We have split 5' diameter pine and maple with it. Some peole that sell a few cords a year brought me 3 truckloads of logs because he couldn't deal with them. We split them with the bobcat then the regular spliter than sold it. Don't dis equipment if you haven't tried using it yourself

I actually have one that is similar with a 4 way wedge. I pick them up and put them in a pile and I don't get them very dirty. I only use it for the larger stuff though.
For anything under 2' diameter it is faster to do it by hand if it is oak.

Hay....JD.... And we were using a regular splitter at the last GTG and you had this!????:chainsaw: :dizzy: :monkey: I know they were under 2' but....but!

When the ground is wet from rain this will be a disaster. No thanks not impressed for general wood splitting. I would rather use a quality axe. I own a Bobcat 763.A cheap log splitter would be much more economical.

Last edited:
Hay....JD.... And we were using a regular splitter at the last GTG and you had this!????:chainsaw: :dizzy: :monkey: I know they were under 2' but....but!

Here is a pic of the one I made for the big stuff.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The cylinder is 6" x 42"
attachment.php

I agree to most of the posts here, but the concept is workable. Turn the wedge and push plate around as wdchuck said, and you'll save a lot of movement. Pick the wood up, and split into a pile or trailer instead of back on the ground in place. The beam mounted out on the tube like that gives better visibility than most I've seen that are mounted right close to the machine. The operator in the video wasn't very talented in my opinion. By tilting the bucket cylinders and splitting from different angles, that second block should have been done in well under half the time he took.

Sure it uses an expensive machine for a job a much cheaper machine will do, but some would rather sit in a seat, maybe even heated AC cab and split wood, and are willing to pay the price. There's something out there for everyone. Heck, many of you don't condone me putting hours on my tractors to power my splitter, but I see another engine to fix and maintain when I see a gas splitter. To each their own.

I agree to most of the posts here, but the concept is workable. Turn the wedge and push plate around as wdchuck said, and you'll save a lot of movement. Pick the wood up, and split into a pile or trailer instead of back on the ground in place. The beam mounted out on the tube like that gives better visibility than most I've seen that are mounted right close to the machine. The operator in the video wasn't very talented in my opinion. By tilting the bucket cylinders and splitting from different angles, that second block should have been done in well under half the time he took.

Sure it uses an expensive machine for a job a much cheaper machine will do, but some would rather sit in a seat, maybe even heated AC cab and split wood, and are willing to pay the price. There's something out there for everyone. Heck, many of you don't condone me putting hours on my tractors to power my splitter, but I see another engine to fix and maintain when I see a gas splitter. To each their own.

Yup that is a problem with mine--No heat. Gets awful cold splitting wood sometimes.

I built mine for about 700.00,but mine is built heavier than his,and uses a 5" cylinder. It works awesome for the big rounds I have,esp for an OWB.If small wood,I dont use it,I enjoy splitting with my Fiskars,but for the big stuff thats just to big to split it works great,I also split it as i load it into the trailer....saving a step.Ive split oak rounds over 5 ft in diameter easily,I also use mine as a tree sheer,for most trees under a foot in diameter...

here is mine...built it almost 2 years ago now...
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=86127

I have a similar one. They work a ton better on a bigger mashine. It's the most efficient on our t300 I've also run it on the s185. It can be very efficient one you get good at it. My dad proceces all his wood for his owb with it. He doesn't touch his wood till he throws it in the boiler. Everything gets done with the bobcat. Also we can now handle wood other people can't touch. We have split 5' diameter pine and maple with it. Some peole that sell a few cords a year brought me 3 truckloads of logs because he couldn't deal with them. We split them with the bobcat then the regular spliter than sold it. Don't dis equipment if you haven't tried using it yourself

the last thing i would want to do with a 10klb tracked skidsteer is sit there and constantly be turning the machine in 1/2 circles, getting wood caught up under the tracks, and tearing up the ground i am trying to work on. a t300 might have all kinds of hydraulic power, but i see that as being ungodly inefficient, and damagingb the tracks.

Latest posts

Back