Skidder Accesories and Add-ons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just searched google images of 'skidder'

it was on some site where kermit was in every picture, talked about how cool he thought it was to drive uncle so-and-so's skidder. it takes all kinds i guess

yes that is an old 440. not sure how to differentiate between 440, 440A and 440B. but C is when they changed the body style.

i delimber huh? that i wouldnt have guessed.

ive seen some machines with what looked like half a log grapple on the side of the blade. ive never seen one in person, just in pictures. anyone know what those are?

That is a delimber. You get the tree nit and the top of the tree will dig into the gound and you drive the skidder foward and it will delimb the tree.

we have built chainsaw boxes behind the blade on one side and on the other made one for the gas and oil

Thats an old JD440 that needs to be pushed off a cliff

Hey don't be knocking those old JD440s! My step mom's brother had one that he used for specialty logging to supply his hobby mill. Darn thing was so light on its wheels with him in the cab you would be hard pressed to find where he skidded in a woods. He could pull some big timber out and barely leave the leaves turned over on the ground. He got a lot of prime timber off of fussy landowner's land because he was so careful with that skidder. Kept him in beer money in the off season of construction. I would love to have a little pokey skidder like that for funning around with. :clap:

Probably not what you were thinking of, but
attachment.php

attachment.php

i want one of those.

actually i want a matched set of 540Bs a cable skidder, forwarder, and skidder bucket. i cant justify it really, but thats what i want. next time id better marry for money.

I gotta say I have worked around some of those skidder-man-lifts and I really never understood the idea of taking a good skidder frame and mounting that on it. I have never heard of them being used in really rough terrain. They were always used in tree farms which were nice flat as a pancake hunks of land with no wet spots at all. There are plenty of other 4WD or even crawler frames that could be used to serve as a support and those frames would be a lot cheaper. That just seemed like skidder abuse to me.

I gotta say I have worked around some of those skidder-man-lifts and I really never understood the idea of taking a good skidder frame and mounting that on it. I have never heard of them being used in really rough terrain. They were always used in tree farms which were nice flat as a pancake hunks of land with no wet spots at all. There are plenty of other 4WD or even crawler frames that could be used to serve as a support and those frames would be a lot cheaper. That just seemed like skidder abuse to me.

Asplundh Loves them...

I've used mine in some pretty nasty ROWs, but you definitely have to know your machine. if you don't you WILL have it on it's roof. It's WAY more top heavy than a normal cable rigged machine. I'm told they are only slightly more tippy than a grapple rig when you have to keep your load up high for some reason. I had some fun with mine.:rock:

too bad the first doesnt lift quite high enough to load the second! without any mirrors it must be a pain to backup that timberjack. no way you can see around that dump body.

Back