Saw Reviews: Echo 302s, 440evl, 500vl Olympyk 261, 264 Stihl 017, 028, 032, 039, 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93Dakman!

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been more of a lurker here for the past year or so. Mostly to get info to help keep my saws running and to fix what breaks. I often come here more to see what others say about a particular saw to see if its worth buying to sell or buying to keep or staying the heck away from. I will try to give my best unbiased review of a few saws ive owned and a couple that I have been able to run often enough to get a good feel of. This is sort of the information I come here for so here's my best shot to return the favor :)
Echo 302s
Echo 440evl
Echo 500vl
Olympyk 261
Olympyk 264
Stihl 017 ms170
Stihl 028 wood boss
Stihl 032 av
Stihl 039
Stihl 034 super, 036, ms 360

Soon I will try to add an Echo 702, Stihl 026, Stihl ms 660 and a Makita 6401 before and after the big bore cylinder.

Echo 302s
I started out with this as my first saw. Great saw to start with. Exceptional saw to learn the ropes of firewood cutting with. I find it the same way with a motorcycle. You cant just start out on a Road King, you gotta learn the basics on a Honda rebel first. This saw is very light and feels very balanced with the 16 inch bar. I believe it to be just as light as my 017, which i will compare this to because its the only other saw I have in the 30cc class. I ran a stihl 325 non safety chain on it. This saw would bury the 16 inch bar with no problem, though you could not put a great deal of pressure down on it or it would start to stall, you could still give it a pretty decent down force on it with out a bog. It has no spikes on the front to help dig into the larger logs, after all i believe its a limbing saw. I never had a problem starting this saw. Even in sub freezing weather it started from cold after about the third pull and always started first pull, no choke afterwords. Very reliable. The oil and fuel fill caps are on the top which In my opinion are the absolute BEST place for them. Although the top handle got in the way when pouring oil from a gallon jug. This is a great saw and from the prices they have been going for as used from the dealer, craigslist and ebay, it would be hard to complain about. The one downfall I would give it is the fact that it has no anti vibe system at all. It does not vibrate much at all under no load, the rotating assymbly is well balanced, I had some vibration issues when the bar was full into a cut. But from the price and performace stand point it would be hard to beat. If it had AV points I would more than likely choose it over my 017. Something I want to add that I like on all three of my Echos over my Stihls is the on/off and choke. The Echos have a on/off button on the top of the handle that is easily switched on or off with your thumb from a left or right handed user. Also it is on the top of the handel and provides a easy visual of off or on when you first pick it up with out having to tip the saw down and look at the lever that the stihls have. Also the choke is a plunger type on the right side next to the handel that has a very positive feel on how much choke you are applying, which is nice i guess....but doesnt really help since you usually start full choke then turn completely off. But I do like the setup of these two functions as opposed to the way the stihl single lever is set up.

Echo 440evl
This saw was impressive as a step up from the 302s but I will agree with most everybody on this board that it is not a good saw for any particular thing. It is too heavy to stick a 16 inch bar on and use solely for limbing. It is too underpowered to be used as a strickly bucking saw with a 20 inch blade. I used this as my bucking saw for about 2 months with a 18 inch bar and 325 stihl non safety semi chisel chain. It went through the wood faster than the 302 but was still so slow that I had to buy another saw. It honestly took twice the time to go through a cut compared to a Stihl 032av, which is only 7cc larger. It could be a pain to start when cold but was always started with one pull once it warmed up. The antivibe system was just so so, you could still feel both engine and chain vibes through it. The engine would stay pulling through the wood fine if you did not try to use the spikes for leverage. It bogged so bad when pressure was applied to the handle like that. The air filter stays fairly clean due to the "pre filter" on the black top cover. The filter was also easily cleanable. The location of the oil and fuel caps being on the top, like the 302 are great! I would not recommend this saw to anyone due to its lower power to wieght ratio. Also since the what I have seen, the resale value is still fairly high for these saws so the combination of low power/high price is not what I would look for in a saw, especially since you can find lighter saws, with more power for the same price all day long.

Echo 500vl
Great Saw! This was my bucking saw for over a year. Im a guy that likes to upgrade/change everything after a few months and I stuck with this saw longer than any other. It runs a 3/8 rim sprocket from the factory. I put a 20 inch guide on it since thats all Iu had laying around that would fit an echo. From the start I noticed that it was just a tad bit heavier than the 440vl, though it has the same size and relative shape, (again, with the oil and gas fill caps on top. I LOVE that design). Once in the cut, compared to the 440evl, It's like stepping out of a Buick Regal and taking off in a Shelby Cobra. It seems to rev quicker than the 440 and has so much more power. I found a set of felling spikes to bolt onto the stock cast spikes, which some may think are un neccesary, but I really think they help. As you get into a cut and start putting the leverage on those spikes, as long as the RPM's stay up this is a superb saw. Once you let the chain speed die its a dog and wont pull out of it unless you take full pressure off the bar and chain. This could be a over rich setting on the high needle but it seems that its just barely 4 stroking at no load WOT. I have found that it takes about 3 pulls to start it from cold but it seems to have a mind of its own when starting warm. Most of the time it will start first pull but there are two or three times a day that you have to pull 5 or 6 times to get it to restart after its shut off. The used prices for these saws are all over the board. I picked this up for 50 dollars with out a bar, in running condition. I have seen them go for 200 on ebay. It is known that these saws, were shut down early and are a bit more rare than other Echos. I enjoy cutting with mine due to its lighter wieght than others in its class, much much more power than the 440, its ability to pull the 20 inch bar with 3/8 chain very well and its low price. As compared to the Stihl 032 AV, the 500 is a hair behind it. Not by much though, it will hold its own against the 032 AV but will loose by a thin margin every time. I would choose the 500vl over the 032 because of its lighter wieght (maybe only a pound - pound and a half lighter) and both of the filler caps are on top. But since the engine size of the 500 and the 032 are so close, if wieght and price are not a deciding factor, the 032 does infact cut faster and may actually have better antivibe mounts than the 500.

Olympyk 261
I used this saw last winter with a 24 inch bar. Bottom line: It is 61cc's. Its powerful. Its extremely heavy. It has no antivibe system. I used this for a winter only when I was cutting something that a 20 inch bar couldnt do in one pass. Taking it to the woods is a pain because it is so heavy. With a 24 inch blade it is not balanced, but once in a cut it makes it easier to apply LIGHT pressure on the bar. I ran a 0.50 3/8 chain, as apposed to what ever stock was (.063 3/8??). I was cutting white oak in about 28 inch diameter last winter and I coaxed my uncle into a cutoff with his 036 wearing a 24 inch bar. Of course both bars were buried. This saw did not at all like pressure place on it from the felling spike (yes I only had one, dont ask) it would stall out faster than any other saw Ive ran if you put much pressure on the bar. But this was not bad because it was heavy enough and the wieght of the saw seemed to be enough to carry it through while still keeping the RPM's up in an efficient area. Well against the 036 it seemed neck in neck most of the way, I believe it only took the 036 about 5 seconds more to pull through the log than it did the Olympyk. The problem I have with burying this saw in a long cut is that the exhaust exit is dead center of the muffler. All spent gasses get shot out of the front and reflected directly back in my face. after a while I have to stop cutting to step back for fresh air. Honest. Also, if you stick the bar in to buck a big log that is fairly dry already, and keep the spikes in one place and pivot the saw all the way through, the forward exiting exhaust starts smoldering the bark and by then end of your cut the bark infront of your saw is completely chareg and has small embers buring. How safe is that?? The Stihl ran a stihl full chisel and the Olympyk had a windsor semi chisel. The saw was hard to start most of the time from cold and took a couple pulls to get it going when warm and turned off, but It was running at 32 years old and never had the carb rebuilt with new diaphragms, just cleaned and put back together. Over all this was a strong running saw. Was comparable in power to the 036 but did not have any of the creature comforts as the Stihl. The choke was off on the side of the saw, the stop button is up far on the top left of the recoil side and the plug cap shocked the crap out of me once! It was a good 3 saw combo, 302s, 500vl, Oly 261. Ending verdict. It was 50 dollars, heavy compared to any other saw (as a 61cc saw, it should not be 18 pounds with out a bar), powerful with a lack of antivibe system, my hands had stars in them for 30 minutes after use, and yes i do wear gloves!

Olympyk 264
This saw is the same as the 261 but has a antivibe system. Its still the exact same wieght, cc and size/shape but has a early style rubber antivibe system. It runs the same in the cut as the 261. The only difference that noticed other than the antivibe is the change in muffler exit. It exits to the clutch side at the top of the muffler through a small section of pipe. Maybe this muffler was modded when I got it but it seems noticbly louder than the 261. If you had a choice I would pay an extra bit more for the 264 over the 261 stricly due to the addition of the antivibe system. These two saws are build like tanks. They are all cast, no plastic design, except for the handel. They take a heck of a beating, from big logs dropped on them to falling off my tailgate. But parts for these saws are becoming non existant. I can not even find a air filter for the 261 and I can only find used filters for the 264. Solid built saws, which in my opinion makes them heavy for the displacement, but it is true that the Italians make a powerful saw!

Stihl 017
Im not sure how old this saw is but I just bought it early September, Ive put about 25 hours on it, which I believe is enough time to make a good review. At the dealer I was up against an 017 for 75 dollars (looked like its been through a war) and an 021 for 165 dollars that was in mid shape. I was told "the 017 has a single ring piston compared to the 2 ring on the 021 and the added displacement on the 021 gives it 2.0 hp compared to the 1.6 of the 017." Although those two things sounded good, I could not justify an extra $100 for only 0.4 hp when it would be used stricly for limbing. I walked out with this tired looking 017. Once I got it cleaned up and running, (carb needed cleaned, compression was exceptional for such a beat looking saw) it ran like brand new! It only has one mixture screw which was a concern of mine, but the lack of the other one has not bothered me at all. This saw will not be modified in anyway, so not having that extra needle will not cause a problem in stock form. It is still new enough that parts are still made for it and are readily availible. Its very light but seems very sturdy. As the cheapest (money wise) saw that Stihl makes I was not expecting it to be as well build as more top of the line saws but it seems to be right there with them. The antivibe system is mediocre on this saw, I can still feel a small amout of engine vibration through the rubber dampers. The picco chain is perfect for this saw on a 14 inch bar. It pulls nicely through wood diameter almost reaching bar length, but seems to stretch out much much faster than other chains. When I first got this saw the off position would not kill the saw. I had to choke it to kill it, which flooded it out horribly and made it the hardest saw I owned to restart. Once I got that fixed it turned out to be an easy one pull restart saw, which is good because I am forever starting and stopping my saw when cleaning up the top of a tree. It did smaller limbs with ease, did not seem to bog at all. It was almost light enough to use one handed if you had to, though not as safe as using a top handle saw one handed. When cutting larger wood with this, aproximatly 8-10 inch diameter, the small molded spikes on the front of the saw helped alot. I did not feel like it cut very fast through thicker wood with out using these. This saw does have the power to keep the RPM's up through the cut when applying medium pressure to the spikes. I think though, that this saw would be worn out in short order if this was done very often. It seems to flex the antivibe system a whole lot and is working the engine to its max. This saw is a very well built saw at a great price (used and new). It does everything that one would expect from a limbing only saw and more. I cant think of any drawbacks of this saw other than both my oil and gas tank vents have worn out and leak if I cut for too long with the left side down. I saw new vents for sale on ebay for $3.85 plus shipping. No biggie. Other than that the only thing I can honestly complain about is either the fuel tank is too small or the fuel consumption is too high, it seems like I am always on the tailgate filling up this little thing. Heck maybe Im just having too m uch fun and loose all track of time when using this saw!

Stihl 028 Woodboss
This saw is a very nice looking saw. The majority of it is cast alloy instead of molded plastic which brings it wieght up but makes it feel like one of the best built, sturdy saws Ive felt. Once started which takes a few pulls cold, it runs the smoothest of any saw I've ever felt running. The rotating assymbly on this saw must be so perfectly balanced. The antivibe system is also very well designed because not much is felt through the handles once in the cut. For an older saw this is a good choice if you can get it for a good price. But I would say that at 47cc(??) it is a little underpowered for its wieght. The 032AV outcuts this saw in any wood or any diameter. But then again you have a wieght difference and the 032 feels quite a bit heavier. The 028 woodboss is a great mid size saw for firewood. Its sturdy and decently powered. As far as power and cutting speed it seems that it is very even with the Echo 500vl, but with a better antibive system. Since the Echo and 028 are in the same class It would be hard for me to decide which to take to the woods. The 028 definalty makes more torque. This 028 is set up with a 325 chain but would easily pull a 3/8 because of that added torque this engine has. I think that because of the high torque it looses that top end horsepower. This is a very well built saw and would be a great mid size saw for a firewood cutter it it could be had for under $200. Better saws can be had if one is willing to spend over that.

Stihl 032AV
This is a great old saw. I think it was made in the late 70's and still holds strong today with the newer saws. Its 51cc's and puts out power like a 60cc saw. I believe this is due to its tractor like torque. It already has a lower max RPM than newer saws but once in a cut the speed drops to a noticibly (by sound) lower RPM than newer saws such as the 036. But you can set the depth gauges lower than most saws and the torque from this machine just kicks in and dominates. You can put a fairly good amount of pressure on the spikes with out bogging, but it seems to pull fast and hard with out even using it to pivot off of. The 3/8 chain used (i cant remember which type of stihl chain, it had very round cutting corners) threw out massive chuncks instead of small chips. It is faster than the Echo 500vl but not by much. This saw, if it wasnt for the extra wieght it packed around would be a perfect midsize saw. It does get a bit tiring to use after a day of cutting and lugging it around. The antivibe system is clearly from 30 years ago becasue you can feel alot of cutting vibes coming through. This could be from the lower rakers on the chain that makes it really grabby and rough to cut with. But all in all this is a extremely well built saw. The last filter bought for it was $26 dollars. This is the only part we've bought for it but I hope that other parts are not this expensive. It seems that there were a great deal of these shipped over here because they are all over craigslist and ebay as whole running saws and parts saws. They are going for great prices for such an exeptional saw. It is clear that this saw is out dated by its wieght, antivibe system and cutting speed, but it is a good, well built saw that has torque enough for two saws.

Stihl 039, ms390
I bought a 029 off of craigslist around a month ago. I got it home, looked it over checked it for spark and had then engine out before I had even started it. I went to my local dealer and picked up a complete engine for the 039 for dirt cheap and reassymbled the saw with the 64cc engine. Before I even started it in this form I ported the muffler. Once it was fully back together I got the carb tuned for the extra displacement and flow. For those interested it was around an extra 1/8 richer on the low and between a 1/2 and 3/4 turn out on the high. This saw is wonderful in most every aspect. Starting out with this:This saw in the setup I have here will cost a person around 225 dollars any day of the week from what prices have been going on these saws. You can get a 034 super/036 or ms360 for that price if you wait it out for the good deal, otherwise you will be paying around 300 for one of those three saws if you impulse buy. The 039 feels balanced with a 20 inch bar and looks "proper" with a 20 inch bar. It is not a heavy saw by any means and in fact is lighter than other saws I have that have smaller engines. But it is still about a half pound heavier and just more bulkier than the 036 variants. The antivibe system on this saw, in my opinion is absolutly GREAT I would say, given that this saw was designed for a more serious homeowner rather than a pro, it has the best antivibe system i have used on a larger saw, thats my opinion from what I've ran. This saw keeps a VERY good speed throughout the cut even with moderate pressure on the bar. It does seem to stall out easier than the 036 though. I find that it doesnt really begin to bog for me, its either running full tilt through a cut or stalls and i have to let up on it to get the chain from where it got hung up at. This could be that it was a brand new grabby chain too. I feel that the 039 with a muffler mod cuts at the same speed as an 036. Ear protection is very important with this saw and a muffler mod, I went one day running this saw with out any protection and my ears rang for a couple hours. And I work in a bar with LOUD music for 8 hours a night! I think that this saw is a great midsize saw for a great price especially with all you get, easy cold starting (tends to take 2 or three pulls to restart sometimes, about half the time), relatively powerful engine and superb antivibe system. I would recommend this saw to anyone that is interested in a midsize saw. I really enjoy the side chain adjust too, it makes a simple task even simpler, actually much simpler! If this saw is found for $200 or less I would not even hesitate before throwing the cash down for it. It may not have all the wrinkles ironed out like the 036's but for what it is (midsized, midpriced homeowner saw) it goes above and beyond what I expected.

Stihl 036, 034 Super
This saw is a very impressive saw to use for firewood. I know its been said on here many times that the 034 super, 036 and ms360 (along with the 361) are the best midsize saws that money can buy. I will agree. The antivibe system on all of those first three mentioned are exceptional in every way. It takes out all engine vibes and most all of the cutting vibes. This engine has the power, torque and speed to handle a 24 inch bar with out bogging down, even with a good amount of pressure applied on the felling spikes. With the 24 though, it seemed to me that you could apply enough pressure to the saw that it would probably ruin the antivibe system very quick. The rubber grommets flex quite a bit before youve put enough pressure on it to make it stall. Ours run with 20 inch bars almost exclusively because of this. With a 20 inch bar and Stihl 3/8 chain (i believe full chisel) this is indeed the best firewood saw. Our other 034 super (which is the same displacement as the 036/ms360) had run a 325 rim for years, after the 036 was bought with a 3/8 chain and compared side by side it was amazing the difference a simple rim sprocket/chain swap made in cut time. The 3/8 chain reduced cut times by over a third as compared to the 325 chain on the same saw. These saws have proved to start in the coldest weather with no more than a couple pulls and ALWAYS start easy once warm. They are relatively light for a 61.5cc saw (compared to the Olympyk its like a feather), keep the RPM's up all through the cut even with a good amount of pressure applied to the spikes and start reliably everytime. The 034 supers and early 036 have been going on ebay and craigslist for $225 give or take 25 dollars, if you bide your time and wait for a good deal. This is truly the best saw that I have used for firewood.

I hope these reviews help people to make a decision. Once I get the 026 a bar and chain and a tree to work on I will try to edit this post to add my findings. Also I will try to get some words on the 6401 (even though its mighty worn out) and the BB 6401 on here in a few weeks. Thanks

Nice review, with a good sharp chain with the rakers the right height you shouldn't need to dog in much. Your losing cutting speed if you need to apply quire a bit of pressure to slow a 60cc down. Steve

Ill see hwat I can do about getting some videos, I have my phone which I know is not going to be a good video, a kodak digital camera that takes decent videos and a sony dvr video camera. I just dont have one of those cables to get the video off of the sony to my computer. Ill see what the Kodak will do. both my 302s and 440evl were stolen this summer by a family member that has his head in the wrong place right now, I believe here in early January he will start coming around and I will get my saws back, along with a sweet John Deere labled 702vl that I rebuilt and never got to cut with. Guess only time will tell. Cant ever really figure a persons mind out, just gotta let them make thier own decisions. Can anybody tell me why my Olympyk 261 had more compression with the 30 year old worn down stock piston and rings than it does now after I rebuilt it with a brand new piston and rings. Heck I also have it set up with out a base gasket, figuring that would raise my compression a hair. I ran it last saturday to seat the rings and came back with less compression than it had before the rebuilt. Hmmm. :bang:

Back