Skidding tongs - sizing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've searched and words like "big enough" come up too often.

I'd be using these for loading onto the splitter the big'uns (so cut end to cut end usually 14"-18".) Yes, they aren't lifting tongs but I'm not camping out underneath it and it will be lifted about 2' max with the FEL.

I'd also like to use these to eventually skid with tractor, ranging on average from 10" trees to 20".

So which size fits the bill? There is a 32", 25" and 20". I've read that too big means the smaller guys won't get good bite, and too small means I can't do anything with the larger trees except cut on site/ noodle.

I'm thinking 25" and for those few, very few trees larger than that I'll let the saw do the work and make a few extra runs.

20"
Bailey's - Dixie Industries 20" Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs

25"
Bailey's - Dixie Industries 25" Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs

32"
Bailey's - Dixie Industries 32" Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs

I would think the 20 would be enough for the splitter. I prefer to grab the sawn part when i am lifting a round with tongs. Mabey use the 25 for skidding. I had a huge pair hand forged that would do 40 HATED them heavy and awkward. I think I gave them away.

Latest posts

Back