Skip chain, big thumbs up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woojr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It has been 20+ years since I owned a fairly large disp. saw (Dolmar 153 w/36 in bar). Recently picked up a 460 magnum, using 25" B&C RS chain. Well after reading here about skip chain I finally put one on. Really like it. If nothing else, they're allot faster to sharpen. Used it on a variety of wood.. cherry, oak, buttonwood, poplar... great.
All in all, that's all I'm using for bars that size and above. Waiting for the 36 to arrive to try it out. Plus, when I started looking for it, I wrote to a number of sellers on ebay to see if they would make deals on the side.
They do. I found a very customer oriented small timer with fair prices and fast shipping. If you put a few chains and a box of files in the same package its cheaper to get them mailed to you than run to the retailer and wait...

Anyone use it on smaller bars? woojr

I've used it on bars as short as 16 on 036 class saws... Got to watch your max RPM though... I can slice though 12 inch Alder in a flash!

I hope you don't plan to use that 36" bar for very many cuts, or very often. The 460 is a little weak to pull that much bar and chain, especially buried in hardwood. Skip chain will help, but it's still going to be a little much for the saw.

Thanks TimberPig. My current plan is to use it to finish some with the grain ripping after the 25 won't reach any further. I figure I can make some fairly nice blocks and beams 4-6 foot long. Basically the whole bar won't be used that much, just the part I don't have... the longer end.
But, you don't think it can pull that whole 3 foot? Or just slow? I know I'm up against it with the lack of oil it puts out. So what is really the max bar for this saw? Thanks, woojr

TimberPig said:
I hope you don't plan to use that 36" bar for very many cuts, or very often. The 460 is a little weak to pull that much bar and chain, especially buried in hardwood. Skip chain will help, but it's still going to be a little much for the saw.
I would disagree with that. Here in Washington most pro cutters are running M460 saws with 28" - 36" bars and full skip chain. If you are cutting smaller stuff, lets say 12 to 14 inches it's even better than a short bar becasue you do not have to bend over (downed stuff) and it makes limbing far easier.

klickitatsacket said:
I would disagree with that. Here in Washington most pro cutters are running M460 saws with 28" - 36" bars and full skip chain. If you are cutting smaller stuff, lets say 12 to 14 inches it's even better than a short bar becasue you do not have to bend over (downed stuff) and it makes limbing far easier.

Try it in oak or something similar, I bet they'd ditch the 36" pretty quick. In softwood, it can do it, although a 660 does it better. Your modded 460's are a whole lot different than a bone stock one as well.

I hear you on the long bar reducing the bending, but thats a far cry from buried full bar in hardwood.

klickitatsacket said:
soft woods probably the key. Our hard woods are not that hard either. western big leaf maple, alder, some ash and once in a while some white oak. For the most part it is a steady diet of doug fir, hemlock and cedar.

Same kind of wood as in coastal BC. In the kind of wood we cut here, no problem getting it to run a 36" so long as you're not trying to cut like a light saber. In hardwood like woojr is likely to be using it in, a 36" is going to be significantly slower, probably to the point he's going to be disappointed in how it cuts with that bar buried. In wood that the bar is only buried up to 1/2 or 3/4 of the 36", it will do fine.

woojr said:
Anyone use it on smaller bars? woojr

I run Skip on my 460 about 1/2 the time. I also run skip on a 18" Jred. I have wondered if I should try "semi skip" Maybe the best of both worlds?? Not a popular choice, but worth a try someday.

MS460 with 36" bar buried in hardwood is going to be rough going.

-pat

Latest posts

Back