skwerl or something biting bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Reaction score
Young beech trees are being attacked, see first 2 pics. Similar but minor bark damage on mature sugar maple, 3rd pic. Anyone else seen this kind of damage lately? Pics resized by Dan below, muchas gracias mi amigo.

Last edited:
Guy, I've seen that kind of damage from horses. Haven't seen anything like that outa their reach.
-Ralph

Can you tell me at what height the marks are?
Also, are you seeing the damage expand as you come back to the same tree for observation?

You're right, it definately looks like rodent teeth, but I've never seen damage like that before. Except when the neighborhood kids took a claw hammer to a tree down at the local park.

jay said:
Can you tell me at what height the marks are?
4'-12'
Also, are you seeing the damage expand as you come back to the same tree for observation?
Yes, some areas chewed last year are being expanded this year. Definite skwerl. I peoposed a 3-pronged strategy:

Install baffles on lower stem to deter climbing.

Drench bark adjacent to chewed areas with tabasco sauce, or loosely wrap w burlap.

Fert to boost rate of scarring.

Systemic repellents to drench the roots with are being explored.

Have you had some unusual weather lately that has decreased the squirrels natural food source? There must be a reason that they are starting to chew bark lately. Putting out alternate food sources may distract them from chewing bark.

Is this damage on a few trees only or is it wide spread throughout your area? If it's very localized, it may be one squirrel doing all the damage. A live trap or poison (depending on your beliefs) would solve that problem.

I have seen squirrel scarring like this in tree tops. I don't run across it often, 2 or 3 times a year.

Treeseer: I don't know if installing baffles at the bottom of the tree would deter a squirrel for long, especially if there are other trees in the area that would provide access to the canopy of the tree. Tabasco sauce is a good idea. I have a similar method that I use which works for all manner of critters (yellow bellied sapsuckers, aphids on roses, squirrels, you name it). I take five garlic cloves and five cayenne peppers and puree them in the blender. Mix that with a gallon of water and add a tablespoon of molasses (for residual value) and a tablespoon of citrus oil for good measure.

Squirrels are creatures of habit. They have a route that they follow every day. They do not deviate from this route. Have you ever watched the little tree rats after your done with a takedown that was part of their route? Drives em nuts. They will circle around back and forth from one tree to the next trying to find a way into the tree which was just removed from their route and exists no more.

Tex I like your recipe. The hot stuff may be a way to change their habits. They are also well fed by raiding birdfeeders. they typically attack younger trees, <8" dbh, in this yard beeches only.

I like porcupine. It dosn't look like typical squirrel damage, the injury looks to be on the lower part of the trunk, not the tops. Squirrels seem to like chewing on harder wood also. I see cankering around the injuries with poor compartmentalize months after attacks.

Latest posts

Back