Slabbed some poplar today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juicemang

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Friday I slapped on my 48" bar and sharpened the chain. I got up early this mornin and went to work on this big guy.
attachment.php

I peeled off the bark on Friday, it came off really easy because the bark was so thick. I measured the log at 38" with the bark on, then 31 with it off.
After about an hour we got hit with a quick burst of snow...
attachment.php

The 88 annihilated the poplar. I was getting 2 slabs per tank. Nothing like the white oak I did a few weeks ago.
Here is a pic of the crotch from the white oak... never posted a pic of it
attachment.php

nice set up, nice pics. My father in law used to live in Livonia...went there once, I can't imagine milling there. Thats a lot of bark!:rock:

I went to a bbq cook-off at a Agricultral center in Jackson,MS and the interior of the building was paneled in Poplar. It was very nice looking. I am surprised that Poplar isn't used more often.

I used to live at Plymouth and Beech Roads just on the border of Livonia, MI.

Beautiful grain pattern indeed, I think this timber is very inderated, please could you tell us what you have in mind for the poplar, what's it going to be made into.

HE'S NOT DOING IT FOR THE WOOD.... HE JUST WANTS TO USE THE SAW... :blob2: MAKING SLABS IS A BY PRODUCT... JUST LOOK IN THE BACKGROUND.... DISCARDED TO THE SIDE, OH THE SHAME.........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I thought they were just the rounds leftover from squaring a cant. I've got quite a few laying around myself that might end up as rustic benches or footstools one day if I ever get around to it. Hopefully I'll have a few more soon. Just talked to the tree guy about my cousin's 2 oaks that are coming down today and tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have 2 30' sections, one 30+"DBH, the other 20"DBH. I told him I could pay 200 (if the logs are completely sound in the middle) to get them to my house to mill. We shall see...

Hey juicemang; I'm going to take a couple poplars down late this spring. Have you had any problems with it cupping when drying? I've heard that poplar moves quite a bit if its sliced thin; Yours looks 8/4??? And, are you sealing the ends?? J/C. All I know about poplar is that there's a bunch of it in my family's woods...

aquan8tor is correct those are just the rounds. I was thinking of making some into benches too. Some of the firewood guys that stop by are really drooling over them.
All the poplar I have cut has been 9/4. One log was about 24". I stacked it unsticker behind a old truck, just to keep it out of view from random people. I forgot about the stack and they stayed there for over 30 days before I noticed. It was cold for about a week or 2 but the rest of the time it was 40-70. I had a tarp over them and when I uncovered them there was no warping. There was a good amount of mold on the top piece and some others had a little on the edges. The other poplar I have cut has not warped either. It also doesn't seem to split as much as some of the other woods I have been through. One other plus is that the saw goes through it like butter. Makes you wish other hardwoods cut so easy.

Yes I sealed the ends with anchorseal a few hours after they were cut.

Back