CSMAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay, I have had CAD for awhile now, but my CAD has also morphed into a case of CSMAD, so now I have a Full Blown case of BOTH Afflictions :surprised3:.

It started out when my Trusty 266XP "Old Reliable" was finally found wanting cutting Big Wood, at over 6,000 elevation, I was considering stepping up to a 395XP, BUT at about the same time my Wife was thinking that our Dining Room Table, which is a 38"x58"x 3.5" Douglas Fir Slab, with the Bark still on both side edges, wasn't Big enough anymore, really Pretty grain and knots, just too small.

Well I got to looking at it thinking with a CSM, I could probably build that:), and then I found Dave the Chainsaw Guy (who is an AS Member it turns out) on ebay selling Husky 3120XP's for $1399 +89 shipping, PERFECT STORM;):surprised3::).

I then had THE SAW for CSMing, and just last night and today I was putting together all the little Goodies that the Brown Trucks, and the White trucks MYSTERIOUSLY left on my Front Porch while I was at work:blob2::dancing::happybanana:.

Well it turns out CSMAD is every bit as Dangerous as CAD;), I decided NOT to fool around sticking a Toe in the water, but do a Swan Dive from the High Board, in all those Boxes that MYSTERIOUSLY appeared on my porch I found:

1 Granberg G778-48 48" Basic Mill

1 Granberg G778-36 36" Basic Mill

1 Granberg G777 Small Log Mill

1 Granberg G555B Mini Mill/Edger

1 Granberg G1080 9' EZ Rail set

2 Granberg G1085 5' EZ Rail sets

2 Granberg G1090 EZ Rail connector kits

I still have a couple New bars in transit:

1 Husqvarna HT343-128 44" Bar

1 Husqvarna HT343-172 60" Bar

I will have to get some chains for the bars when they get here, but I will wait until I actually HAVE them before I order the Chains.

I was thinking about getting the 60" Handle and rail set to be able to upgrade, one of the Mills to 60", but when I started pricing Granbergs parts to do that, it wasn't that much less than a G778-60 that I found online, so if the price doesn't change in the future, I may go that route.

I also would like to try the Granberg G988 Roller kit for the Thrust end depth post, in the future.

My Wife is very supportive, and is almost as anxious as I am for me to get a chance to try out the Mills, I have several projects in mind to try out, learning to use the Mills before I tackle a Dining Table.

Unfortunately, I don't have the access to suitable wood like some of the guys here do, but by getting a special use permit from the Forest Circus, I can look for some good logs in the Mt. Hood National Forest near where I live, plus I do have some private land opportunities as well, not as much to choose from, but I think that I will be able find enough to get started, and then a little networking will Hopefully help lead me to more opportunities.

I will say, that I am impressed with the Quality of the materials and workmanship in the Granberg products, everything went together as it should, everything arrived in Excellent condition, with no Damaged, Missing, or incorrect parts (other than a Vendor mispull/ship that was corrected).

I have been a Lurker here on the Milling forum for quite awhile, and have learned a lot( with still a LOT to learn yet, no doubt), I have been impressed with the results of many of the members here, and Hopefully in the future, I can post some results that others will appreciate.

Now, I have more than enough gear to get a Great Start, I just need the weather to cooperate a little, it seems like nonstop Rain at the house, and the snow is still lower than I like up in the woods:(, But I WILL get up there and get some projects started.

Doug :cheers:

A decent size Bandsaw mill usually cures CSMAD

That's true. I watched a few vids and there's no way I'd run one. Can be done making lumber out of a whole log with the Woodmizer before just ONE cut with a chainsaw mill.

A guy I know build his WHOLE 2500sq ft house with a AK mill on a Stihl 360. Took nearly 10 years.

A decent size Bandsaw mill usually cures CSMAD

Two problems there,, a decent size bandsaw mill wouldn't fit either my budget or my working space ;)

I doubt that I could get a decent size Band mill for any where near the $1,500 or less that I have in the Milling gear and chains that I will need.

The 3120XP only cost me a couple hundred more than I would have spent on the 395XP, that I was going to get anyway for Big Firewood, the size we usually cut, and at the elevation we usually cut at here, my "old Reliable" 266XP was finally starting to be "Challenged" so a bigger saw was happening regardless, and it still provides BTU's for heating the house, as well as being able to "play" with the milling gear.

I just don't have the Budget, Space, Time or available mill stock to justify (At Least for NOW ;)) a Band mill

That may change in the future, the CSM may be my "Gateway Drug" to a deeper addiction, that COULD involve a Band Mill, I don't EXPECT that to happen, but then I didn't plan on contracting CSMAD or CAD, so ALL BETS ARE OFF for the Future:)

Oh, also, I am on a .17 Acre Rural Neighborhood lot, that the neighbors would probably be less than impressed with a Band Mill set up here at the house, I do expect to mill a lot of what I do in the woods, and just bring home the slabs for projects, and what ever firewood is salvageable from that as well.

So Far, I have stayed on Good terms with the neighbors, a little Surplus Dungeness Crab and Chinook Salmon from our trips to the Coast tends to help with that;).
I would Like to STAY on Good terms with the Neighbors:)

Doug

You know for probably $100 or so you could have just bought that slab you needed. Just saying!

Oh Hell, Where's the FUN in that?

I have a few ideas that I would like to try out, it's NOT just a ONE Project, Larger Dining Room Table and Done kind of thing. I have some things that I would like to ry, that may become an Income Hobby, I enjoy working with Wood and my Hands, but I am far from a Cabinet grade woodworker. When an ex-girlfriend and I had a Log Cabin just a couple miles from where I am now, I did a few Rustic projects that got some compliments and suggestions that I could sell them at the craft fairs, there were people that thought some of my projects were better than I thought they were:confused:

The CSM thing is really mostly just a way to relax, and forget about Work, Bills, and some of Life's Less Pleasant aspects, and if I can make some projects for our Home, Family, Friends and possibly an income hobby, then that's Awesome.

I have a few ideas that I would like to try out, it's NOT just a ONE Project, Larger Dining Room Table and Done kind of thing. I have some things that I would like to ry, that may become an Income Hobby, I enjoy working with Wood and my Hands, but I am far from a Cabinet grade woodworker. When an ex-girlfriend and I had a Log Cabin just a couple miles from where I am now, I did a few Rustic projects that got some compliments and suggestions that I could sell them at the craft fairs, there were people that thought some of my projects were better than I thought they were:confused:

The CSM thing is really mostly just a way to relax, and forget about Work, Bills, and some of Life's Less Pleasant aspects, and if I can make some projects for our Home, Family, Friends and possibly an income hobby, then that's Awesome.

Welcome to the Milling club. Just one suggestion; the 5' rail extension can be used in place of the rails on either one of the Alaskan Mills. That is how my 36" Milling grew to the 60" mill in my avatar. Or the primary 9' rails will provide for a very wide cutting mill. The two 5's and the 48" legs from that mill wood provide a 14' support. Just a suggestion as to alternatives available.
Mill safe and enjoy

Welcome to the crack house Husky Man! You made a wise choice getting the biggest saw to start with.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Milling club. Just one suggestion; the 5' rail extension can be used in place of the rails on either one of the Alaskan Mills. That is how my 36" Milling grew to the 60" mill in my avatar. Or the primary 9' rails will provide for a very wide cutting mill. The two 5's and the 48" legs from that mill wood provide a 14' support. Just a suggestion as to alternatives available.
Mill safe and enjoy

Hi Tony, Thank You for pointing out that the 5' EZ Rails are the same thing as the thickness rails on a mill, I completely MISSED that one, that just leaves me needing a 60" Handle and a cross piece to support the middle of the handle, that would lower the cost quite a bit:)

When I checked Granberg's Add Ons and Spare parts prices, it was about $180 with shipping for just the handle and rail set plus the one cross/end piece, toolcenter.com, I think it was has the complete G778-60 for $299.95 SHIPPED, yeah $120 more, but a complete mill. I bought 2 mills specifically because, as I mentioned I expect to do most of my milling in the woods, where the trees fell, so the convenience of having two mills is Nice, but if I break anything, I have a complete second mill to rob parts from, as I would be DONE for the day, and leaving a tree unfinished, not so big a problem for those who mill at home, but for me, itwould mean waiting for parts and then another trip out to where I am milling a week or likely more later. With a second mill, and the EZ Rail idea you mentioned, damaging the 60" Handle would be about the only thing that would be stopping me, and that would only be if I needed the 60" mill, I will take the risk of it being the 60" handle, I try to go prepared, but there is a limit to what even I will pack (I only have a 1 ton crew cab and 6x12 tandem axle trailer, sometimes you JUST HAVE to leave the Kitchen Sink Home;))

Thanks again for pointing out the interchangeability of the EZ Rails/Thickness Rails, the Perfect example of why I like the AS website,

Welcome to the crack house Husky Man! You made a wise choice getting the biggest saw to start with.

Thank You for the warm Welcome. With a 395 running about $1279, and the 3120 at $1399. (PHO) + $89 shipping, it was pretty much a No brainer when I started thinking about milling, it would have been tempting even without wanting to try milling for that price, the $1799 MSRP was one thing, but at $1488 shipped to my door, I pulled the trigger,

The 395XP is still on my Cad list, probably to be followed by a 372XP and maybe a 550XP some day, yeah right, someday? Anyone here REALLY BELIEVE there is any doubt those will all find a home in my garage ?

Thank You for the warm Welcome. With a 395 running about $1279, and the 3120 at $1399. (PHO) + $89 shipping, it was pretty much a No brainer when I started thinking about milling, it would have been temptig even without wanting to try milling for that price, the $1799 MSRP was one thing, but at $1488 shipped to my door, I pulled the trigger,

The 395XP is still on my Cad list, probably to be followed by a 372XP and maybe a 550XP some day, yeah right, someday? Anyone here REALLY BELIEVE there is any doubt those will all find a home in my garage ?

Those and many others! Lol.

Those and many others! Lol.

I had to Explain CAD and CSMAD to my Doctor, he just shook his head and mumbled something about Golf Clubs? and said that he UNDERSTOOD :)

Yeah, Right like there is ANY Similarity ;)

Then he said that there was No Known Cure for Either of our Afflictions, and that my Self Medicating was the best plan that he knew of to "TREAT" the SYMPTOMS, and that he was on a Similar treatment program for his GAD

Seriously? WTF, is GAD?:surprised3:

He then said if my condition gets WORSE, to give him a call, but that he doubted that he could do much, other than to PRESCRIBE another Chainsaw purchase to help alleviate the discomfort, I would have to evaluate the dosage myself, the greater the discomfort, the BIGGER the saw would need to be, POSSIBLY it could Require multiple purchases to Fully alleviate all the "Discomfort "

" Honey, I'm headed to the Husky Dealer to pick up my "Prescription ", it's been Pretty Bad Lately, looks Like I'll be needing a 395XP AND a 372XP, do you need anything while I'm in Town?":);):surprised3::innocent::yes:

Has anyone figured out yet, that sometimes I get a "Little Bored" at work, sitting around, waiting between Loads? ;):)

Another driver with issues. Lol. As soon as I get parked, I'm looking at saws, equipment and other gadgets.

I had to Explain CAD and CSMAD to my Doctor, he just shook his head and mumbled something about Golf Clubs? and said that he UNDERSTOOD :)

Yeah, Right like there is ANY Similarity ;)

Then he said that there was No Known Cure for Either of our Afflictions, and that my Self Medicating was the best plan that he knew of to "TREAT" the SYMPTOMS, and that he was on a Similar treatment program for his GAD

Seriously? WTF, is GAD?:surprised3:

He then said if my condition gets WORSE, to give him a call, but that he doubted that he could do much, other than to PRESCRIBE another Chainsaw purchase to help alleviate the discomfort, I would have to evaluate the dosage myself, the greater the discomfort, the BIGGER the saw would need to be, POSSIBLY it could Require multiple purchases to Fully alleviate all the "Discomfort "

" Honey, I'm headed to the Husky Dealer to pick up my "Prescription ", it's been Pretty Bad Lately, looks Like I'll be needing a 395XP AND a 372XP, do you need anything while I'm in Town?":);):surprised3::innocent::yes:

That Doc may have something there on self-medicating! I'm thrilled in thinking about and listing equipment for an eleven or twelve hours of driving to mill a white oak that's about four and a half feet diameter. I can't get calmed for sleep because this is an interesting fantasy. I have not seen any pictures of the tree which still stands. Puts some life in this old carcass. I have not milled much larger than three foot diameter yet. Tho I may be able to wrestle a four foot diameter stump off the yard waste pile and max out at 4 x 6 slab from the middle. That one has been measured and touched so not near the fantasy level of a tree three states away.
Mill safely and enjoy Folks

You will love your new passion. If you make a trip out to the Nehalem or Manzanita area, shoot me a PM and I can show you the setup I have fun with. I have a lot of slabs laying around, but honey do's have slowed my spring milling fun.

You will love your new passion. If you make a trip out to the Nehalem or Manzanita area, shoot me a PM and I can show you the setup I have fun with. I have a lot of slabs laying around, but honey do's have slowed my spring milling fun.

Hsullyc, I will take you up on that invite, my Sister in Law lives in Nehalem, about 3 miles or so up Foss Rd. We are planning on being at Bonnie's over the 4th of July, and the following weekend.

We try to spend a lot of time there, unfortunately this may be the last Summer for that, her Husband Woody passed away the end of September, it is still hard accepting that He is not there anymore.

Bonnie had planned on selling Foss, but recently my Wife said that she was thinking of staying after all, so it's a bit uncertain yet what her future holds.

I would really enjoy meeting you and learning anything that you care to teach me about milling.

I believe that Heffalump is having a small GTG in North Plains on June 2nd, I am hoping to get more info about that, but time has been a bit stretched lately, I have been on temporary duty in Medford for over a week, and will be here through this week as well, kinda need to check with the Wife about that, but she still has her Mom and other Family in Forest Grove, so I might be able to swing that GTG, maybe see you there, if not still looking forward to hopefully meeting up in July.

Doug. :cheers:

Hsullyc, I will take you up on that invite, my Sister in Law lives in Nehalem, about 3 miles or so up Foss Rd. We are planning on being at Bonnie's over the 4th of July, and the following weekend.

We try to spend a lot of time there, unfortunately this may be the last Summer for that, her Husband Woody passed away the end of September, it is still hard accepting that He is not there anymore.

Bonnie had planned on selling Foss, but recently my Wife said that she was thinking of staying after all, so it's a bit uncertain yet what her future holds.

I would really enjoy meeting you and learning anything that you care to teach me about milling.

I believe that Heffalump is having a small GTG in North Plains on June 2nd, I am hoping to get more info about that, but time has been a bit stretched lately, I have been on temporary duty in Medford for over a week, and will be here through this week as well, kinda need to check with the Wife about that, but she still has her Mom and other Family in Forest Grove, so I might be able to swing that GTG, maybe see you there, if not still looking forward to hopefully meeting up in July.

Doug. :cheers:

I do a lot of milling right down the road from there. A good friend of ours has about 50 acres along the river, and you should see some of the wood that washes up. That was the reason I bought my mill, cause cutting old growth logs for firewood makes me cry. We will be at river over the 4th I'm sure. It would be great to meet you and your wife. I'm sure I can find something to max out your CSM if you bring it. I cannot make the GTG pre event since I volunteer every year with ODFW for a kids fishing event. Just let me know when you are heading this way and I will send you some contact info.

Thanks, Dave

My idea of relaxing certainly doesn't involve a chainsaw!

Latest posts

Back