Small 7 acre homeowner needs advice on felling Long Leaf Pine...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to know how the experts here would take down the trees within striking distance to the neighbors property..

Thanks,

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I really do. But here's the real deal. None of us can tell you what we would do because every tree is different. Without a bunch of detailed pics of each tree....any of us would be lying if we said there was one method we would use. You can have 10 similar trees that require 8 different ways to bring them down...and that's just what we're seeing from the ground. When we get up there, the plan often changes. So you're an engineer...I assume you're a pretty smart guy. Surely you can understand how...if I look at a tree and see 20 steps that need to be taken to bring it down but....once I get up there...I realize that step 5 needs to be changed...now all of the other steps may (or may not) also need to be changed to accommodate that one change. There are a lot of dynamics involved. This is just on one tree. The next tree...even if it looks like the last tree....may require something completely different. The only way to know what to do is from experience. You don't just know it...you feel it...you sense it. You see things that others miss and know what will happen. This is why you should hire a pro. I'm not going to say that not having this sense will kill you (even though it might) but I will say that I bet every single pro on this site will say that having this sense has kept them from a grim fate in the past.

This is not a game of luck. We can't tell you what we would do without being there.

You want to be smarter than the expert?

I don't blame him and understand where he is coming from as I seem to be constantly picking up slack left behind by experts.

But on another token: you don't see me offering my expert advice.

Back