small coal stove recomendations please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I realize that most of you guys burn mostly wood but here it goes.....

One of my friends is looking for a small coal stove to heat a 500 sq. ft. area in his house. He already has a wood furnace in his basement and a oil furnace(tryin to use this less b/c of cost for fuel), and this room seems to get cold fast-never seen it but he says it's a large open area, i'm not sure of total layout.

he wants the stove to be small, attractive looking, and clean burning-no dust.

Just wondering what brand of stoves yall have had GOOD expiernces w/ and ones to stay away from. also any features to have for more efficiency and ease of use.

thanks for any help, much appreciated

i have a russo c-35 in my barn, it's a killer stove, i got it from a friend who used it to heat a 24x40 ranch, and belive me in the dead of the winter he would have to leave a couple windows open a little, it was so hot. great stove and i see them around used for $100-$150. thears also a blower on it that makes a big diff.

I am confused. Oil and wood in the basement, and he wants to add coal heat to the house ? 3 fuel sources ?

WHY ? If he is stocking wood already, why not another wood burner ?

I presume he has central air distribution of some sort: tell him to add a booster fan to the ductwork to that room (could be controlled by a separate thermostat or tied to the fan control module in the furnace), or perhaps a hallway fan to pump the cold air OUT of the cold room. [works much better than trying to force hot air into a room]

Try two thermostats tied to the same furnace, with air control louvers to direct the air flow. Not that complicated to do, we keep our shop at 68 in the office, and 45 in the warehouse. One furnace, two completely different areas serviced by two thermostats. Naturally, when the office gets cold, the warehouse has to wait.

i actually prolly shoulda said this in the first post. He is trying to think of differnt ways to heat his house better. He likes/wants to heat w/ wood but it comes to be a problem b/c he is a school teacher and a coach after school so that is at least 7am-6pm, and his wife works a couple less hours than he, but she doesnt care for the wood furnace-she's really scrawny and doesnt like lifting the large blocks of wood-large furnace.

He wants to altimatly erace the oil heat b/c of fuel price.

He has thought about adding more ducting and fans, but would like the coal stove for visual appeal and long burn time (he's seen some w/ a 24hr burn time).

maybe this clears some things up

Check out the major manufacturers smallest stoves. Some are real eye catching. I've also seen wood burning boat stoves, which some people use in small hunting cabins. Some are quite attractive. Nothing the internet can't cure :) .

Latest posts

Back