small engine tach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't but there was a thread a month or so back that discussed these and other tachs. I wouldn't trust my saw to one... they really aren't all that accurate.

Lakeside woulden't a tach give you a ballpark figure? Or something close..Other wise I would have to crank her up till she blows and back her down a couple hundred...

Heilman181 said:
Has anyone every used one of these?

Tecumseh Tachometer - Small Engine Vibra Tach

I bought the Briggs Vibra Tach (German Made) and I think I started the thread a couple of months ago about it. MSRP is around $19.

It's a cool tach (a novelty of sorts), but the accuracy diminishes w/ RPM increase. The scale gets smaller and smaller. Though I dont' mind using it to check idle speed, (mowers, blowers, saw) I've decided against using it to check WOT - nor would I recommend it.

Chaser

I have verified mine on my model airplane engines (12,000 to 18,000 RPM) against an electronic tach. The measurements with a vibratach were within 2% of the electronic at 12,000rpm (+/-200rpm). Not too bad considering they get better at lower RPM.

AJY

Echo Boyboyboy said:
I have verified mine on my model airplane engines (12,000 to 18,000 RPM) against an electronic tach. The measurements with a vibratach were within 2% of the electronic at 12,000rpm (+/-200rpm). Not too bad considering they get better at lower RPM.

AJY

I'm not holding a saw w/ b&c at 13,000 rpm no-load (and certainly not in the cut) while trying to manipulate the vibra-tach. :dizzy:

I recommend a method of keeping BOTH hands on the saw as much as possible and my Briggs vibra-tach is not part of that equation.

Running a saw WOT no-load while taking the time to dial-in the tach may not be beneficial for the saw - especially if you determine it's over-reved. A model airplane engine is under load when the prop is turning - and basically under max load when bench run. Less chance of engine or personal injury IMO.

Chaser

I completely agree that a vibratach for any sort of non-idle measurement on a saw is NOT a good idea. Even for idle I would have someone else hold the saw. It simply takes too long to make a measurement and since I don't have the obligatory 4 arms I'm not going to try it at WOT. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying that in my experience they are deceivingly accurate.

Echo Boyboyboy said:
I completely agree that a vibratach for any sort of non-idle measurement on a saw is NOT a good idea. Even for idle I would have someone else hold the saw. It simply takes too long to make a measurement and since I don't have the obligatory 4 arms I'm not going to try it at WOT. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying that in my experience they are deceivingly accurate.

When mine came in at the shop they had already been playing w/ it some. We tested it against the Stihl digital while I was there so I could get a 'feel' for how it worked. It was right on the money as best we could determine. Especially easy to see on the Exmarks at 3750?

We had 2 people involved checking it on the high end, one w/ both hands on a MS390. While fooling around w/ it the 390 hiccuped coming off WOT and ate the starter dogs and cord...oops!

Chaser

Latest posts

Back