small firewood business's where do you cut/split your wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a thought for those of you with neighbors. Why not find a wood burning individual out in the boonies who would gladly let you cut, split, etc. on his property if you supply him with some firewood. I'm sure you could even find someone who would let you store it there, pick up loads for selling and basically take care of your firewood business without fear of bothering anyone.

An older couple who uses wood for heating might jump at this deal. You are out a few cords of wood and they have a source of heat and maybe even some security knowing you're around on a regular basis.

I have the rights to work a 27 acre pecan orchard owned by a couple in their mid seventies. He lost his left lower arm years ago and was severely burned last spring. I have cut down several dead trees near their house and helped them out in other minor ways. I think they like the fact that I'm on their property almost daily and can be called upon when needed. It's a win-win situation.

Hand Splitting and Noise

Some log splitters are quieter than others, but get this. One Saturday morning I was hand splitting firewood with a sledge, 2 wedges, and a maul. A neighbor yelled across the fence that he was going to call the cops if I continued and have me arrested for disturbing the peace. I had started at about 8:00 am.

I guess sledge against wedge makes more noise than you think. Clink Clink. :pumpkin2:

Some log splitters are quieter than others, but get this. One Saturday morning I was hand splitting firewood with a sledge, 2 wedges, and a maul. A neighbor yelled across the fence that he was going to call the cops if I continued and have me arrested for disturbing the peace. I had started at about 8:00 am.

I guess sledge against wedge makes more noise than you think. Clink Clink. :pumpkin2:

i would have kept going and called his bluff.

ask the old timer why he put his ass on the line to fight for our freedom if you cant even cut some firewood on your own property
if he gives you any problems, you should have no problem getting a double leg take down , getting mount and landing some vicious ground and pound , his bones should break much easier since hes 90, aim for the orbital

ask the old timer why he put his ass on the line to fight for our freedom if you cant even cut some firewood on your own property
if he gives you any problems, you should have no problem getting a double leg take down , getting mount and landing some vicious ground and pound , his bones should break much easier since hes 90, aim for the orbital

He would probably reverse and grind your face in to the gravel while he spurred your rib cage. giddyup punk.

Hahaha,
Good one Banshee, I'd try that but I'm scared I'm the one that would end up getting the ass whoopin.

I have a gravel fire road with lots of trails leading off of it about 15 minutes from my house. I might try to do some firewood processing there and see how it goes. It is patrolled by department of natural resources though, I'll probably get accused of illegal dumping or something.

i would have kept going and called his bluff.
He was bigger than I was (actually about 100 pounds or so). And, believe me, he meant business. Of course, I was carrying a sledge hammer and had an 8-lb maul with me.

I decided not to make an issue out of it. I just told him I would hold off strarting until 9:00 am on weekends while he got his beauty sleep. That comment fried his butt. :msp_wink:

Then I called the cops myself and discussed it with them. They said that they would have ignored his call and that if he ever threatened physical harm, I should call them immediately. Matter settled.

Move?

Take advantage of the low bucks housing situation and move out into the country someplace nearby and get you a few acres. There are any number of long term advantages to this besides being able to process and store your wood. Pick an ag area, you can do a LOT more zoned ag. I forget the exact wording, but this farm I live and work on has signs posted at all the entrances and roads, along these lines, and it is just for city folks who might move in nearby and then call up[ someone and complain, "this is an agricultural zoned area. Loud noises, smells, etc are normal and legal"

I lived in the city or urban area for 20 years..man..I am SO GLAD I returned to my roots and moved back rural. The benefits of being able to do what you want with most things outweigh any perceived disadvantages. Cheaper living, too.

My bottom line on modern living is..the farther you get from a starbucks, the better off you are now, and the safer you will be in the future.

And cool beans on the army truck! I looked for a long time and couldn't find one I could afford like yours, so I grabbed a half tonner close enough civvie version, with the old non turbo detroit diesel. Ya, not near as tough, but I will be content enough to make two trips instead of one, as most of the use will just be on or about the farm itself, no long distances involved.

Take advantage of the low bucks housing situation and move out into the country someplace nearby and get you a few acres. There are any number of long term advantages to this besides being able to process and store your wood. Pick an ag area, you can do a LOT more zoned ag. I forget the exact wording, but this farm I live and work on has signs posted at all the entrances and roads, along these lines, and it is just for city folks who might move in nearby and then call up[ someone and complain, "this is an agricultural zoned area. Loud noises, smells, etc are normal and legal"

I lived in the city or urban area for 20 years..man..I am SO GLAD I returned to my roots and moved back rural. The benefits of being able to do what you want with most things outweigh any perceived disadvantages. Cheaper living, too.

My bottom line on modern living is..the farther you get from a starbucks, the better off you are now, and the safer you will be in the future.

And cool beans on the army truck! I looked for a long time and couldn't find one I could afford like yours, so I grabbed a half tonner close enough civvie version, with the old non turbo detroit diesel. Ya, not near as tough, but I will be content enough to make two trips instead of one, as most of the use will just be on or about the farm itself, no long distances involved.

There is no low buck housing situation where I'm at in Canada. That would make things way too easy, Besides the little woman would never move out to the sticks she wants to move deeper in the city.
I found my truck in Michigan for a touch under 4g's it has the old non turbo detroit 6.2 same as you and a bulletproof drivetrain. 66 k's on the odometer and lots of little dents that came free of charge.
I get tons of comments all the time on it. With the racks on the bed it will haul a cord of green wood in one trip but it has to be close to being overloaded weight wise. Payload on the old m1008 1 tons is only 2900lbs.

Mileage?

There is no low buck housing situation where I'm at in Canada. That would make things way too easy, Besides the little woman would never move out to the sticks she wants to move deeper in the city.
I found my truck in Michigan for a touch under 4g's it has the old non turbo detroit 6.2 same as you and a bulletproof drivetrain. 66 k's on the odometer and lots of little dents that came free of charge.
I get tons of comments all the time on it. With the racks on the bed it will haul a cord of green wood in one trip but it has to be close to being overloaded weight wise. Payload on the old m1008 1 tons is only 2900lbs.

What kind of mileage are you getting with a decent load on? Yours is heavier and lower geared than mine, so hopefully when it is running I will get a little better (tons of little stuff still left to fix on mine..now that it is getting cooler I can go back to work on it)

I've had gassers like this and my van, the mileage sucked. Power, great, mileage..forget it. Ok back under a buck a gallon, but not today...not at my token payscale. I won't even consider one again unless it is bought for the sole purpose of resale. Diesels FTW!

And eventually, the multifuel deuce!

What kind of mileage are you getting with a decent load on? Yours is heavier and lower geared than mine, so hopefully when it is running I will get a little better (tons of little stuff still left to fix on mine..now that it is getting cooler I can go back to work on it)

I've had gassers like this and my van, the mileage sucked. Power, great, mileage..forget it. Ok back under a buck a gallon, but not today...not at my token payscale. I won't even consider one again unless it is bought for the sole purpose of resale. Diesels FTW!

And eventually, the multifuel deuce!

I can't actually tell you exact numbers. Somebody before me changed the turbo 400 tranny with the 700r4 (which gives the truck overdrive). They never changed the speedo gears so the speedometer is way off(speed and mileage wise).

The mileage seems to be pretty good for what the truck is 6000 lbs curb weight, 4:56 gears and as areodynamic as a brick.
I don't think there is much of a difference between loaded and unloaded to tell the truth. Probably because they redline so low with the old diesel.

I did a unloaded roughly 120 mile round trip on the highway with it, and it cost me between $30 and $35 in fuel. With diesel here being $1.35 or so a liter at the time. Not sure what that works out to. The guys on steel soldiers claim they get in the low 20mpg range with the same set ups.

If I could find a spot to park a deuce I'd have one of those baby's. Think of the load of wood you could haul with that.

Back