Small saw upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
Well I have a Husqvarna 36 as my small saw. Got it for free after putting exhaust manifolds in the detail departments managers f-250, he said he knew Id like the saw more than a 20 dollar tip. Never really to impressed with it, just light weight which is nice sometimes. But today, well today Im in the local pawn shop when I see a saw Ive heard lots about. I place a quick and brief call to spike60 (bob) he gives the thumbs up if I can get the price down a little. I play the game, he's at one number so I shoot low, we settle in the middle and I walk out with a new to me 44. It had compression and did start out side on what smelled like year old gas. Get back to the dealership and pour out the old and put in some fresh. It really looks clean! Now what do you guys think it is a great upgrade right??? The carb is gonna give me a little trouble though the idle screw doesn't seem to thread into its whole to well, it was actually just laying in the carb area, kinda explain why it doesn't idle. Gonna try and use a threaded insert or if I have to get a carb, I guess Ill be calling bob again. Is there a better top end to put on this saw? My 50 that has a 55 closed port top end is a little beast, kinda like to make this one a little monster too. Im not one to knock the clamshells, but golly gee, i sure do love the metal bottom ends!

What you need to find is a 444 p&c, closed port version of the 44. Not easy to find, I've been looking for one for mine a while now with no luck.
Seems they didn't sell a lot of them around here, from what I've seen they were very popular for pulpwood cutting in eastern Canada, so they're close.
Was working on a deal for a big box full of 'em out of Quebec a couple years ago but ran into logistical issues and have since lost touch with the guy...

Latest posts

Back